Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Fuck that treasonous bastard

These guns are doing EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE MADE TO DO.  That's the problem.  These aren't for sport, these aren't for home protection, they're for war.   Not only do I want to go after the friend/seller/dealer that gave that piece of shit a gun,  I want to go after the bastards that make them.  

First Amendment is Freedom Of Speech, but you can't conspire to kill someone with speech.   These things aren't absolute.   Second Amendment was written when it took how long to fire and reload a single shot, 20 seconds?  5 shots a minute.   Maybe its time to update a few things.  

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Has anyone ever watched a school bldg door during class change? You can't lock down buildings that hundreds of people have to go in and out of every hour. Even if the first person has to card to open the door, all the people flowing behind are just going to enter on one door opening. Anyone can just fade into the queue. Do people have brains at all?

To do this would require a much more sophisticated system. For instance everyone carries a RF ID and the system would have to scan the number of bodies entering and match to the number of ID's detected. Conceivably possible - not trivial to do. And even then you would only know an unauthorized person entered - it wouldn't have prevented the entry.

And "unauthorized" ≠ dangerous. These campuses are also publicly funded community centers. There are cafés and libraries in these buildings that are open to the public. Non-students and non-faculty going inside the academic buildings include visiting academics, local high school students, retirees, tourists, etc. The more you stretch to prevent actually attacking the problem (guns), the more you turn schools into voluntary prisons.

• Thanks 1

If we can afford to give pretty much every American $3k for existing through the pandemic, we can afford to buyback the nation’s guns.

Give people three years. You can either surrender your weapons for destruction and receive immediate fair compensation, or you can declare that you’re keeping your weapon(s). After that, require annual inspections, registration, and insurance. Registration costs a fee, but on a sliding scale, where single shot hunting rifles are a nominal fee and automatic/assault rifles are astronomical. Gun locks are provided for free with registration. Multiple weapons increases the fee. A lengthy questionnaire is required yearly for registration which asks about physical and mental health history, as well as those in the home, where both certain responses and random flags will require physician clearance.

Remove statutory liability protection for gun manufacturers and prohibit automatic weapons from being produced. Commission of a crime with an unlawful weapon is a mandatory two-year felony. A first unregistered or uninsured weapon requires destruction of all weapons owned by that individual, and inability to register a weapon for ten years. Subsequent is a two-year felony and inability to ever register a firearm. If your registered weapon is used by another in the commission of a crime, and you didn’t report it stolen, two-year felony for you both.

I don’t want to hear it’s not possible. It is. Our leaders just have to care enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

And "unauthorized" ≠ dangerous. These campuses are also publicly funded community centers. There are cafés and libraries in these buildings that are open to the public. Non-students and non-faculty going inside the academic buildings include visiting academics, local high school students, retirees, tourists, etc. The more you stretch to prevent actually attacking the problem (guns), the more you turn schools into voluntary prisons.

By the time many students get to college, they’re already used to the prison-like atmosphere of schools in the age of mass shootings.

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

"But what if the government wants to come after us,  we need these weapons to fight them off." 

Love that one.   The government doesn't even have to get close to you to kill you.     Even sound and light can be weaponized. 

Oh, man, how many 2A people on the old board maybe 10 to 15 years ago did I enrage by making fun of their “I can fight and defeat the tyrannical government with my Glock” claim?

10 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If we can afford to give pretty much every American $3k for existing through the pandemic, we can afford to buyback the nation’s guns.

Give people three years. You can either surrender your weapons for destruction and receive immediate fair compensation, or you can declare that you’re keeping your weapon(s). After that, require annual inspections, registration, and insurance. Registration costs a fee, but on a sliding scale, where single shot hunting rifles are a nominal fee and automatic/assault rifles are astronomical. Gun locks are provided for free with registration. Multiple weapons increases the fee. A lengthy questionnaire is required yearly for registration which asks about physical and mental health history, as well as those in the home, where both certain responses and random flags will require physician clearance.

Remove statutory liability protection for gun manufacturers and prohibit automatic weapons from being produced. Commission of a crime with an unlawful weapon is a mandatory two-year felony. A first unregistered or uninsured weapon requires destruction of all weapons owned by that individual, and inability to register a weapon for ten years. Subsequent is a two-year felony and inability to ever register a firearm. If your registered weapon is used by another in the commission of a crime, and you didn’t report it stolen, two-year felony for you both.

I don’t want to hear it’s not possible. It is. Our leaders just have to care enough.

Damn!!!

I typed exactly this 3 or 4 years ago on the old site. I mean, not word-for-word, but almost!

Sliding scale fees. Multiple weapons increase fees. I don't think I had different fees for classes of weapons but... I like that idea!!!

Annual registration requirements. Annual mental, financial (those under financial duress are liable to do...) reports. 

I think I had weapons crimes as mandatory 10 year federal crimes felony... but maybe that's a bit draconian?

Anyways: TWO THUMBS UP for you MC!!!

• Like 1

Anyone who loves guns like these - I think they are a pervert.   If that's you, sorry........  Weapons made for war don't belong in daily society,  just like you don't see people driving tanks down the street.    You take weapons like these and put them into the hands of disturbed people and this will keep happening.     This is NOT what the 2nd Amendment is about.  

What's freedom  -

freedom to carry murder weapons, that are made specifically to murder? 

Or is freedom things like going to a parade, going to school, going grocery shopping, going to an outdoor concert without fear?  

do you ever think about what you would do if you were in a certain place and heard gun shots?      \

I heard one report say "only 3".   Maybe it was a radio caller.   That's how fucked up this has become where somehow that seems like it isn't bad.    And it's not 3,it's 8 - because the other 5 are not in the clear or their lives are probably going to be severely damaged.  Plus the thousands of kids who are probably going to have a hard time adjusting.     Only 3.     Shut up.  1 is too many.  

A friend's daughter is a senior at MSU.  She's home in Plymouth now.  She wants to finish out her year remotely. She doesn't want to go back.  She doesn't even want to go get most of her things.     How sad.  

I remember growing up when Columbine was like 9/11. A one-off tragedy that wouldn't happen again. Until it did at Virginia Tech. And then again at Sandy Hook. And then again at Parkland. And then again at Uvalde. And then again at Oxford. And then again at Michigan State.

From my K12 experience to now, I've gone from a lockdown being just something that we do when a deer gets trapped in the courtyard (7th grade), to choosing a seating chart on the first day of class based on the likelihood of victimization if a gunman entered the room (present day in grad school). I simply can't imagine what it must be like for kids growing up in this twisted version of American education.

Speaking of the 9/11 analogy, imagine if we expended the resources we did on 9/11 (which killed less than 3,000 people) on combatting firearms (which kill about 3,000 people every month). I'll just keep taking my shoes off at the airport though while children die for going to school.

• Like 1

Change will never happen as long as a good chunk of politicians don’t want it to. That NRA money will always be more important than the lives of the innocent. If the needle hasn’t moved yet, it won’t any time soon unless a lot of these people are voted out. And I don’t see that happening. So wash, rinse, and repeat. 

NRA money is a big part of it, but the fact of the matter is there is a huge percentage of Americans who think that their guns protect them from fascism/left wing tyranny/communism and they are terrified of any type of gun control whatsoever.  I think the country has made a big mistake creating the type of gun culture we have but, but I feel there isn't much we can do about it at this point.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

NRA money is a big part of it, but the fact of the matter is there is a huge percentage of Americans who think that their guns protect them from fascism/left wing tyranny/communism and they are terrified of any type of gun control whatsoever.  I think the country has made a big mistake creating the type of gun culture we have but, but I feel there isn't much we can do about it at this point.  

Yep that too. “Cost of freedom”

So report from my son.  He's bored with campus closed down.  He went to Frankenmouth for lunch today because all his buddies who live in state headed home and the remaining gang didn't want to do anything too overtly fun in the wake of this.   He happens to be studying German so he had chicken schnitzel and marveled at the lack of German anywhere in frankenmuth. 

RE: Monday night Per him, once the cops moved off to the East from the first two shooting sites, he was like "whats the big deal?"

Told this to some colleagues who 1. asked why he isn't courting some girl who is despondent?  and 2. asked is he ready to join the military if he is that blase about mortal violence within a block of his location?

I know better about #2.  He was stressed for sure.

This one was one that hit hard... I've only been on that campus once. My parents went there, some cousins, a late uncle. I don't really know why it hit, but I'm sleep deprived this afternoon. We should be numb now. It doesn't happen all of them. It doesn't help Florida is about to open the floodgates and drive up the chances this will happen to me when I'm stopping by the grocery store.