Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's definitely a sign of social progress when schools have to be turned into prisons to protect the right of some people to play with toys that are far more likely to end them up in prison (or dead themselves) than bring them any benefit in life.

TL;DR version: Our Kids are not the people we should force to live in "prison". We should not be sacrificing their right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness on the cross of the gun nuts' 2A fettish.

Aside from the absurdity of embracing "hardening" schools as the only solution is the fact that the United States has thousands of schools and higher education institutions. And along with that have facilities that are in varying level of condition. The kinds of security enhancements discussed, at scale, require a lot of money, and more than many school districts (particularly rural) can budget for. One imagines that full on replacing if buildings would be required in some cases.

I dont think people think about how expensive and impractical a solution it is... I'll take Tigeraholic at face value in believing it to be a solution at scale, but (just as I remember saying after Uvalde last year) I'm more inclined to believe that policy makers who run to that solution do so for the same reason that they run toward mental health as an excuse: to run out the clock on the discussion of the incident until the event passes from the collective consciousness.

And when the next one happens that goes viral to the degree that this one did, those same policy makers will pull the playback out and run it again. And again. And again...

Edited by mtutiger

50 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

We’ve now made it to the point where a reported covering the story is now able to share her own experience being a school shooting survivor. Just the thought of that is devastating. And we will allow it to keep happening. 

We're also made it to the point where one of the people near the shootings at MSU went to Sandy Hook at the time of those shootings.     To experience this TWICE in a lifetime.     

If fucking Wyoming and the Dakotas and Montana didn't have the same representation in the Senate as states with 10-50 times their population, there would be change.   

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Aside from the absurdity of embracing "hardening" schools as the only solution is the fact that the United States has thousands of schools and higher education institutions. And along with that have facilities that are in varying level of condition. The kinds of security enhancements discussed, at scale, require a lot of money, and more than many school districts (particularly rural) can budget for. One imagines that full on replacing if buildings would be required in some cases.

I dont think people think about how expensive and impractical a solution it is... I'll take Tigeraholic at face value in believing it to be a solution at scale, but (just as I remember saying after Uvalde last year) I'm more inclined to believe that policy makers who run to that solution do so for the same reason that they run toward mental health as an excuse: to run out the clock on the discussion of the incident until the event passes from the collective consciousness.

And when the next one happens that goes viral to the degree that this one did, those same policy makers will pull the playback out and run it again. And again. And again...

I have actually served on a school board and helped implement a number safety improvements. We hired a homeland security consultant(actually used a grant). He pointed out areas for improvement. This is a small k-8 Lutheran school of 365 students with a non Existent extra budget. We changed out hinges on all doors so they always spring shut and locked including classrooms.  The school was built in the 50’s so glass was not up to safety specs. They sell a film that goes on interior of glass designed to slow someone trying to break through. 
These are not answers to our gun and mental health crisis. However I keep hearing we need legislation but in the mean time kids are dying. I am just saying there are affordable solutions to help possibly save lives. 

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing. 

Has there been any reporting on security precautions taken by the school in Nashville? We have had a couple of incidents near me, including one in our school district, recently and the schools in question aren't exactly lassiez faire on security.

11 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have actually served on a school board and helped implement a number safety improvements. We hired a homeland security consultant(actually used a grant). He pointed out areas for improvement. This is a small k-8 Lutheran school of 365 students with a non Existent extra budget. We changed out hinges on all doors so they always spring shut and locked including classrooms.  The school was built in the 50’s so glass was not up to safety specs. They sell a film that goes on interior of glass designed to slow someone trying to break through. 
These are not answers to our gun and mental health crisis. However I keep hearing we need legislation but in the mean time kids are dying. I am just saying there are affordable solutions to help possibly save lives. 

I have a friend who's a retired chief and he's done some consulting, unofficially, for this kind of thing. One guy selling a system reached out to him for advice. One thing that many don't consider is proposed solutions by a man on the street won't meet fire code.  Trying to keep people out also means often keeping people in.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I have a friend who's a retired chief and he's done some consulting, unofficially, for this kind of thing. One guy selling a system reached out to him for advice. One thing that many don't consider is proposed solutions by a man on the street won't meet fire code.  Trying to keep people out also means often keeping people in.

A fire code can not infringe on the right to own a gun.  It’s in the constitution.  

I understand these codes are made for people’s safety but that’s why we have guns.   If you have enough guns, it can deter a fire from starting in the first place.   I’m a little surprised that we haven’t started arming firefighters yet but I assume that’s coming.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

A fire code can not infringe on the right to own a gun.  It’s in the constitution.  

I understand these codes are made for people’s safety but that’s why we have guns.   If you have enough guns, it can deter a fire from starting in the first place.   I’m a little surprised that we haven’t started arming firefighters yet but I assume that’s coming.  

All the students and teachers should carry automatic weapons, wear bullet proof vests, firefighter uniforms, and lug around oxygen tanks and masks in case they either have an armed assailant or a fire breaks out.  That's the part we all can play to protect the 2A.  It's our God given right and and our solemn duty to protect the precious things He gave to us.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

This is very true. In our situation we ran a mock intruder and had fire and police coordinate the exercise (Passed fire code as well). They both made notes about the school and were given master keys and keyless fobs for quick access. Anything we can do to help prevent tragedy I am all for. I can't change legislation in a dark red state but we can't just sit on our hands... The lefts answer to these killings "Change laws" is holding as much water as "Thoughts and Prayers" when no one does anything.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This is very true. In our situation we ran a mock intruder and had fire and police coordinate the exercise (Passed fire code as well). They both made notes about the school and were given master keys and keyless fobs for quick access. Anything we can do to help prevent tragedy I am all for. I can't change legislation in a dark red state but we can't just sit on our hands... The lefts answer to these killings "Change laws" is holding as much water as "Thoughts and Prayers" when no one does anything.

yeah.  There's near term solutions and long term solutions.

• Like 1