Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

I think the cleverness of today's American institutional forms of racism is that they operate mostly at the economic level so it's relatively easy to defend American social outcomes as strictly class based and not specificially race based. But the truth is that by segregating blacks geographically and then reducing resources to urban black areas, you effectively segregate a larger portion of the black community into lower economic status. So American society has reached a condition where people don't need to be racists in their personal conduct, the hidden hands of majority rule, private investment and government resource distribution maintain their priviledged status while we can remain 'pure' and 'colorblind' in our everyday personal conduct.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think the cleverness of today's American institutional forms of racism is that they operate mostly at the economic level so it's relatively easy to defend American social outcomes as strictly class based and not specificially race based. But the truth is that by segregating blacks geographically and then reducing resources to urban black areas, you effective segregate a larger portion of the black community into lower economic status. So American society has reached a condition where people don't need to be racists in their personal conduct, the hidden hands of majority rule, private investment and government resource distribution maintain their priviledged status while we can remain 'pure' and 'colorblind' in our everyday personal conduct.

So bad that some schools in Texas are replacing Slavery with "Involuntary Relocation"

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think the cleverness of today's American institutional forms of racism is that they operate mostly at the economic level so it's relatively easy to defend American social outcomes as strictly class based and not specificially race based. But the truth is that by segregating blacks geographically and then reducing resources to urban black areas, you effectively segregate a larger portion of the black community into lower economic status. So American society has reached a condition where people don't need to be racists in their personal conduct, the hidden hands of majority rule, private investment and government resource distribution maintain their priviledged status while we can remain 'pure' and 'colorblind' in our everyday personal conduct.

Well, this is where I think you see a big disagreement from the GOP in that they point to rural communities that at one point sustained themselves, until market forces depleted that and now they are without resources and subjected into lower economic status themselves.  They are predominantly white, so how is this possible if race is the deciding factor on everything?

And in the end, while both sides argue whether it is racism or classism that is the true issue, it seems to be common steps could be taken that would help out both.

18 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Well, this is where I think you see a big disagreement from the GOP in that they point to rural communities that at one point sustained themselves, until market forces depleted that and now they are without resources and subjected into lower economic status themselves.  They are predominantly white, so how is this possible if race is the deciding factor on everything?

I think it's a fair point to discuss the fact that market forces have been cruel to rural communities in the north and that are more demographically white, including the one I grew up in. But as a counterpoint, one could take a look at rural, agricultural regions in the south, such as in Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana along the Delta or in the Black Belt of Alabama that are predominantly AA and who have always lagged behind, from an economic standpoint, rural ag communities in other parts of the United States, still lag behind them today and who are subjected to those same market forces.

As an aside, as much as we characterize AAs as a primarily urban group, anyone who has spent time in the South knows that isn't entirely true.... it's more the case up north, but much less so down here.

Edited by mtutiger

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

And in the end, while both sides argue whether it is racism or classism that is the true issue, it seems to be common steps could be taken that would help out both.

I would say the difference is that economic decay in rural areas while real, is less politically 'deliberate'. Its part of a much more inevitable historical trend. Increasing urbanization has been a constant ever since the first tractor was invented, but in the immediate post WWII era in the US you had a couple of big factors that temporarily held back the trend - the interstate freeway system and incredibly cheap gasoline. That allowed a lot of light and medium manufacturing to move out into the country side and boosted rural economies. But China, higher fuel prices and 'just in time' production systems have pretty much put an end to the influence of those factors. And as a matter of fact - a lot of Biden's re-industrialization initiatives are being pushed out to the country side to try to ameliorate those declines - Why? Because rural areas have gerrymandered fortified (small d) democratic influence that insure their concerns are eventually heard, while the black urban poor have managed to neuter the strength of their democratic leverage by for falling for the illusory "progress" of super majority minority districting.

Edited by gehringer_2

37 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Because rural areas have gerrymandered fortified (small d) democratic influence that insure their concerns are eventually heard, while the black urban poor have managed to neuter the strength of their democratic leverage by for falling for the illusory "progress" of super majority minority districting.

Again, not just AA urban poor, but rural as well.

It's not an accident that the poorest parts of some of our poorest states (Mississippi and Arkansas, for example) are in the Mississippi Delta.

I'm tired of the right wing acting like the Founding Fathers are some divinely inspired group who are infallible and should serve as a template for issues 250 years later.

we're spending people back to the moon next year and have probes in the far reaches of our galaxy but we're supposed to listen to some old white dudes who lived before we had electricity.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm tired of the right wing acting like the Founding Fathers are some divinely inspired group who are infallible and should serve as a template for issues 250 years later.

we're spending people back to the moon next year and have probes in the far reaches of our galaxy but we're supposed to listen to some old white dudes who lived before we had electricity.

It’s the ultimate nostalgia.

37 minutes ago, oblong said:

If they actual read the history instead of believing the myths. 

My favorite is how those same folks claim to be textualists, but founders intentions weren't in the text of the constitution.    They also participate in judicial review, also not in the constitution.    They claim fealty to the founding fathers but then cite Sir Matthew Hale.   

All of that, and there's more.... like how coincidentally the founding fathers always agreed with 20th and 21st Century Republicans.