Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

doesn't matter if he's Asian,  he chose that time and that place for a reason, he was targeting a group.  Still a hate crime.  

By that definition, all mass shootings are hate crimes.  It's silly for me to get into a debate about this though, because I dislike guns as much as anyone. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

By that definition, all mass shootings are hate crimes.  It's silly for me to get into a debate about this though, because I dislike guns as much as anyone. 

sometimes a party shooting might be a gang related situation but it sounds like this guy might have actually tried to shoot up another venue, was stopped by people in the crowd and so moved on to this one. I guess it's unclear whether it was the same person for certain but they are thrying to check that out as they looks for the guy.

Edited by gehringer_2

Latest from AXIOS,,,

Authorities identified the suspect as Huu Can Tran, a 72-year-old man whose body was found inside a white cargo van following a standoff with police in Torrance, California, Los Angeles County Sheriff Capt. Robert Luna said at a Sunday evening news conference. He had fatally shot himself, Luna said.

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/22/monterey-park-mass-shooting-california

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So he is Vietnamese...

Maybe he has an axe to grind with the Chinese? Or suffered some Covid losses...?  It's definitely plausible...

yeah - who knows - he's certainly old enough to remember or have been involved in the Sino/Vietnamese border battles that followed on the heels of the US withdrawal  - there could be backstory there as well.

Edited by gehringer_2

This is only notable because in this situation the system sort of worked. 

Hassan Yehia Chokr arraigned for anti-Semitic attack charges (freep.com)

"In seeking to make the purchases, Chokr filled out a federal firearms form," the U.S. Attorney's Office said in a statement Wednesday. "On that form, Chokr made three false statements, any one of which would prohibit him from possessing a firearm. First, he falsely claimed that he had not been previously convicted of a felony. Second, Chokr falsely claimed that there were no felony charges currently pending against him. Finally, he falsely claimed that he had never been committed to a mental institution."

8 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Geee.  Wouldn’t a National registry database where that kind of information that could be accessed at time of inquiry be - hmmmmm… what’s the word I’m looking for…. “USEFUL”. ??????

Not useful if you are a mouthpiece for the gun companies who pay you more than your constituents. 

Edited by romad1
  • Like 1

5 Memphis cops charges with 2nd Degree murder in death of a suspect. The cops and the victim were all black. Goes to the point that the problems in American policing are deeper than just racism, it's a broader policing culture itself which has become toxic in too many departments. The thing is I don't know how you can even begin to change that as long as the number of guns out there makes the job they do dangerous enough to radicalize them the way it does.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/01/26/us/tyre-nichols-death-memphis

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Just because black cops kill black suspects doesn't mean that racism isn't a factor. That's what the culture of policing in America has led to.

sure - you can take a deeper sociological dive into constructs like peer pressure mediated self group hate, but I'm not sure any of that would pass the definitional smell test to the average Joe which is why I framed it as a matter of broader policing culture. I think in the end what we call it matters less than (and that debate can become a distraction from) the need to break the cycle by finding a way to get different people into US police forces. But we've produced a society in which policing is a terrible job. Like Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

It can still be racism if you believe that this kid would have been treated differently if he was white

"Same if not worse than Rodney King"  is what I just read.  I haven't watch it yet. 

It's worse - Rodney didn't die from this.    It may have shortened his life, but he didn't die, so this would be worse, regardless of how it looks.  

On 1/23/2023 at 7:32 AM, romad1 said:

This is only notable because in this situation the system sort of worked. 

Hassan Yehia Chokr arraigned for anti-Semitic attack charges (freep.com)

I can say there's a not insignificant number of people here in Dearborn, while not quite defending him, are suggesting he's being targeted because of his religion and the fact he targeted Jews.  They also frame it as a mental health issue.  Kind of disappointing.

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

I can say there's a not insignificant number of people here in Dearborn, while not quite defending him, are suggesting he's being targeted because of his religion and the fact he targeted Jews.  They also frame it as a mental health issue.  Kind of disappointing.

While it likely is mental illness, to accuse him of being targeted is ridiculous.      If someone came at them and did the same thing at a mosque and it was recorded, I don't think they'd be given a parade.      By the way, does anyone know if this guy is a Kanye West fan, because this happen just a couple of days after his tirade.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It can still be racism if you believe that this kid would have been treated differently if he was white

"Same if not worse than Rodney King"  is what I just read.  I haven't watch it yet. 

It's worse - Rodney didn't die from this.    It may have shortened his life, but he didn't die, so this would be worse, regardless of how it looks.  

I'm thinking the cops would've skated if they were white.