Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

9 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Damn.

A couple weeks ago we could have solved the problem, but now we can't, since it is too soon to politicize it and all.

I just wish some would just come out and admit that they don't see it as a problem. 

It would be enraging, but at least it would be more honest than the "thoughts and prayers" and "it's too soon to talk about it" crap.

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I just wish some would just come out and admit that they don't see it as a problem. 

It would be enraging, but at least it would be more honest than the "thoughts and prayers" and "it's too soon to talk about it" crap.

Some definitely do see it as a problem. What they don’t see it as is a problem with guns.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Some definitely do see it as a problem. What they don’t see it as is a problem with guns.

IDK, the teeth gnashing about nebulous issues like mental health seems to have more to do with running out the clock on the debate than it does about any sort of belief that the status quo is unacceptable.

Otherwise, you'd actually see some action on the things identified as problems versus doing the exact opposite (ie. cutting funding for mental health)

• Thanks 1

Guns are part of it, we do nothing.  Mental Illness is part of it, we take funds away from it.   Corporate Drugs are a problem too. 

1991,  Wayne LaPierre took over at the NRA, turned it to a marketing org.   The same year the major drug companies had a conference on how to mass market psychoactive drugs and that's when ADD and ADHD brought into the mainstream, and the umbrella got big to use these definition as a catch-all to sell drugs.........so we started drugging kids, for being unruly, like, you know, kids.   That's when these shootings started happening more often.     These drugs affect the liver and that changes the brain chemistry.    The Guns and The Drugs are linked here.    There's always been bullying, but it didn't result in this.  

Then the internet comes along and turns these fucking assholes into celebrities.   

5 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

I have noticed that recently the news sites haven’t been promoting the shooters by their names. A few years ago their names were plastered on every headline. 

I don't know how long you've been here, but one of our most active members, Brian Bluhm,  was a victim in the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007.  For a lot of the veterans of this board, this hits hard.   The shooter in that case was obsessed with beating Eric & Dylan's number of deaths.   

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

When you go somewhere are you paying attention on where to run in case you hear those pops?    I do.   Every store, concert, movie...........I'm hyper attentive to it now.      That's sad, isn't it? 

I usually don't because the odds are still very low of it happening.  I admit I thought of it a couple of times at work because I work at a Jewish University which slightly ups the odds of an anti-semitic attack.  However, I realized there is really no way to prepare for that moment.  

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I usually don't because the odds are still very low of it happening.  I admit I thought of it a couple of times at work because I work at a Jewish University which slightly ups the odds of an anti-semitic attack.  However, I realized there is really no way to prepare for that moment.  

It was The Station Nightclub fire that made me start paying attention to stuff like that.   From the first flames to the entire place being engulfed in flames took 4 1/2 minutes.    

Edited by Motor City Sonics

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have not been glued to the news, but it feels like its been a couple of weeks since one of these horrible events.  

It still happens every day. 

There were 31 people shot, six fatally, in gun violence across Chicago friday-sunday just last weekend. 

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-weekend-violence-shootings-police-breaking-news/12528128/

Edited by Tigeraholic1