Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

4 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

It still happens every day. 

There were 31 people shot, six fatally, in gun violence across Chicago friday-sunday just last weekend. 

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-weekend-violence-shootings-police-breaking-news/12528128/

I'm talking about the kind of mass killing where people are just out shopping or watching a parade or something like that.   Not the typical street violence that happens everyday everywhere.........well everyday in America.........the "greatest" country on earth. 

40 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I'm talking about the kind of mass killing where people are just out shopping or watching a parade or something like that.   Not the typical street violence that happens everyday everywhere.........well everyday in America.........the "greatest" country on earth. 

So a drive by that kills 2-3 innocent people is not a mass killing? No arguing your point but I don't get why we as a country treat these scenarios different. 

12 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So a drive by that kills 2-3 innocent people is not a mass killing? No arguing your point but I don't get why we as a country treat these scenarios different. 

It makes sense from the standpoint that they are events that at least possibly have different antecedents and solutions and thus can reasonably be separated. Certainly the guns are a common factor to all of them and all can/should be treated together as foder in discussion/policy around guns, but once you pan out past the immediate issue of the weaponry, the antecedents of murders commited as part of street crime  - particularly those related the illicit drug trafficing which is basically profit driven crime, and those of the crazed gunman, where the motivations are deeply personal and possibly pathogical, diverge pretty completely. Thus separate classification on that basis seems logical.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It makes sense from the standpoint that they are events that at least possibly have different antecedents and solutions and thus can reasonably be separated. Certainly the guns are a common factor to all of them and all can/should be treated together as foder in discussion/policy around guns, but once you pan out past the immediate issue of the weaponry, the antecedents of murders commited as part of street crime  - particularly those related the illicit drug trafficing which is basically profit driven crime, and those of the crazed gunman, where the motivations are deeply personal and possibly pathogical, diverge pretty completely. Thus separate classification on that basis seems logical.

So an angry drug dealer looking for revenge after getting ripped off shoots up a corner not caring who he kills firing indiscriminately is not a crazed gunmen? Just going off your logic, this is personal and patholigcal no? 

Basically what your saying if the drug dealer goes after his rival at walmart then we can reclass?

Edited by Tigeraholic1

7 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So an angry drug dealer looking for revenge after getting ripped off shoots up a corner not caring who he kills firing indiscriminately is not a crazed gunmen? Just going off your logic, this is personal and patholigcal no? 

Basically what your saying if the drug dealer goes after his rival at walmart then we can reclass?

If you don't see the difference in how you approach the analysis of each shooter, that's a YMMV, I'm not going to argue it with you. 

Then again, I guess I don't really see what what the point is of the complaint about how things are classified. If your complaint is that crime related murder in Chicago is too easily accepted I won't disagree, but WTF, the dirty truth is that mass shootings are accepted just as much. Sure there is more press and hand wringing about them, but the actual net social inaction on both is about equal so I'm not going to give American society any credit for its 'thoughts and prayers' on the one while it still sits on its ass on both.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you don't see the difference in how you approach the analysis of each shooter, that's a YMMV, I'm not going to argue it with you. 

Then again, I guess I don't really see what what the point is of the complaint about how things are classified. If your complaint is that crime related murder in Chicago is too easily accepted I won't disagree, but WTF, the dirty truth is that mass shootings are accepted just as much. Sure there is more press and hand wringing about them, but the actual net social inaction on both is about equal so I'm not going to give American society any credit for its 'thoughts and prayers' on the one while it still sits on its ass on both.

We are on the same page. We as a society have a gun and don't care about life problem.

A man walked into the Dearborn police headquarters (my hometown) and tried to fire a shot at the officer at the front desk.  The officer shot and killed him.     Dude had a history of mental illness.   I wonder if he got his gun legally. 

A few years ago a couple of idiots were walking around Warren Ave (the Arabic side of Dearborn) with automatic weapons wearing tactical gear..........you know, to show their 2nd Amendment rights.    They walked into the Dearborn Police Station like that and are VERY lucky they weren't shot and killed.   Even gun rights activists were calling those guys idiots. 

I have a feeling that there is going to be plexiglass at the front desk in the station in the very near future.   

It's a sickness. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Somebody want to explain to me wtf “celebratory gunfire” even means?

Other than seeing it done by the stupidest movie cowboys in films from the ‘40’s, ‘50’s, maybe ‘60’s… is this or was this ever really a “thing”? 

a number of years ago I sat on a jury trial in Washtenaw county where the defense tried to claim that the shell casings found in the front yard at the scene were actually from New Year's Eve 'Celebratory' fire. Interestingly enough, though neither noted by the defense nor the prosecution, upon inspection of the casings in the exhibit bag, the jury observed that one was very clearly older, corroded and had soil in it, while 4 others were clean and bright. All were the same markings and caliber. The jury concluded that the defendent probably had fired the weapon out on the lawn at an earlier date, very possibly NYE, but unforturately for him, also concluded he had fired it there the night of the crime as well.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

Somebody want to explain to me wtf “celebratory gunfire” even means?

Other than seeing it done by the stupidest movie cowboys in films from the ‘40’s, ‘50’s, maybe ‘60’s… is this or was this ever really a “thing”? 

It's a thing in countries all around the world.

But not really in the US as we outgrew the Wild West cowboy era...

Or at least... so we thought.

Didn't don't understand why they need to use REAL weapons in a movie set. 

Even replicas can be really dangerous (Jon Erik Hexum sadly learned that)

But, for an example............The Statue Of Liberty has been blown up, frozen over, toppled by giant waves,  usually in movies produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, but they never actually had to do any of it to the actual Statue Of Liberty.  If you can do all that shit to Ms. Columbia, you can add muzzle flashes and bangs in post production.    It's common sense.  

• Like 1