Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Aren't these the same people that wear t-shirts and ride around with bumper stickers that say "F*ck Your Feelings"?

They're the same people who proclaim they are the pro life state. The state that executes more people than any other state where everyone needs to have a plan to kill everyone they meet is the pro life state. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Yes. I heard someone on Fox say something to that effect. 7 must be the magic number of acceptable damage in order to protect our idol the 2A. 

I don’t know … 20 was the number in Newtown and rather than it being considered unacceptable, the effort to protect 2A seems to be supercharged by it. So maybe the bigger the number, the bigger the pushback.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I got very lucky today.    I went shopping for some dinner fixins and a tarp at the Meijer near my house and I wasn't shot.   

One of my favorite places is Mt Monadnock in New Hampshire where I hike to get away from everything. Just this week, someone posted a photo in a facebook hiking group of someone at the summit aiming an AR-15 with a sophisticated scope.  Apparently, you just can't get away from this ****.  

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

One of my favorite places is Mt Monadnock in New Hampshire where I hike to get away from everything. Just this week, someone posted a photo in a facebook hiking group of someone at the summit aiming an AR-15 with a sophisticated scope.  Apparently, you just can't get away from this ****.  

you could cross over into Canada...............

41 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

But, but…. Trump Jr. and Ann Coulter have already assured us that it can’t be.. because he’s Hispanic.

Get with the program, MB

edited because I incorrectly said it was Laura Ingram…. But I betcha she would probably agree

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Fuc k it, the right wants to hold the country hostage over the budget how about the left do the same for gun law reform? Dig in, let it get messy but stay the course until laws are changed. We have no other choice.

It’s probably the only way anything gets done in regards to this, unfortunately. Even then, who knows. 

17 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

It’s probably the only way anything gets done in regards to this, unfortunately. Even then, who knows. 

I think there’s nothing the GOP would want more. Imagine the amount of money that would raise on the back of Democrats trying to take away their guns.

Nothing significant will happen with guns in this generation.  Perhaps, the young people who grew up terrified of guns will get into power some day and do something about it, but that's a long way off.  Creating a gun-centric culture in this country was a mistake, but we are stuck with it for now.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Gun confiscation will never work and would not be a popular solution.  The closest would be a ban on manufacturing, sales, and buy backs.

If you make them hard for the young to obtain,  moderately expensive to maintain -(reg and licensing fees) and then put a buyback bounty on them you will start draining the supply and in a generation there will only be fraction as many out there as there are today. It took us 50 years to get where we are with guns, we cannot reject movement in right direction just because will take us a generation to get out of where we are.

I agree.

What bothers me in the debate is too many people have the attitude that if you can't have a 100% success rate then you shouldn't even bother doing anything.  No reasonable solution will be perfect.  But maybe instead of 10 mass shootings you have 7 because of some difficulty in obtaining the gun either through a delay or a check.  They always say "Well they will get it somehow".  Sure, maybe.  But why make it as easy as possible?  Maybe that person can't get it.  Maybe they try to get it and there's an altercation and we expose a ring?  Maybe he tries from an undercover officer?  

Other than some rifle shooting on family property or when my son was in scouts, I shot a gun once, in 2019.  I was visiting family that I mentioned before who live near the latest incident.  They are into guns and I wanted to go to a range.  I get the appeal for people who do that.  I viewed it like going to a driving range for golf.  Some people don't golf 18 holes but they like to go to a range for an hour.  There was a lot to process on the range in handling of the gun and loading the clip.  My brother in law was patient with me.

The reason I say that.... there's no way someone like me should be able to just go into a store and get a gun.  I can.  There should be training requirements and not from some schmo with a sign on a post somewhere offering classes at a local VFW hall for $50.  It should be like a driver's license.

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

I agree.

What bothers me in the debate is too many people have the attitude that if you can't have a 100% success rate then you shouldn't even bother doing anything.  No reasonable solution will be perfect.  But maybe instead of 10 mass shootings you have 7 because of some difficulty in obtaining the gun either through a delay or a check.  They always say "Well they will get it somehow".  Sure, maybe.  But why make it as easy as possible?  Maybe that person can't get it.  Maybe they try to get it and there's an altercation and we expose a ring?  Maybe he tries from an undercover officer?  

Other than some rifle shooting on family property or when my son was in scouts, I shot a gun once, in 2019.  I was visiting family that I mentioned before who live near the latest incident.  They are into guns and I wanted to go to a range.  I get the appeal for people who do that.  I viewed it like going to a driving range for golf.  Some people don't golf 18 holes but they like to go to a range for an hour.  There was a lot to process on the range in handling of the gun and loading the clip.  My brother in law was patient with me.

The reason I say that.... there's no way someone like me should be able to just go into a store and get a gun.  I can.  There should be training requirements and not from some schmo with a sign on a post somewhere offering classes at a local VFW hall for $50.  It should be like a driver's license.

Absolutely agree, I don't think there is any easy way out of this, but I think there is enough common ground to move towards something better.  Unfortunately every shooting we see is a combination of TAPAS (thoughts and prayers and ****) and a search by party leaders to confirm their narrative.  

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you make them hard for the young to obtain,  moderately expensive to maintain -(reg and licensing fees) and then put a buyback bounty on them you will start draining the supply and in a generation there will only be fraction as many out there as there are today. It took us 50 years to get where we are with guns, we cannot reject movement in right direction just because will take us a generation to get out of where we are.

If we somehow got the political will to enact national legislation calling for high gun taxes and licensing fees, maybe the revenue could be used to fund buybacks. It could become a platonic ideal of a virtuous circle.

Of course, if guns were made too expensive to legally buy and maintain, that would surely precipitate a very active black market for guns, which of course would be bad. But would that create a situation that's worse than things are today? I don't see how that can possibly be.

2A people like to say, "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns", which has a sort of surface logic to it. But those same outlaws are already getting guns now, and beyond that, it's a virtual certainty that the ease of obtaining guns is leading some people who might be on the fence about which direction their life could go into becoming outlaws in a such a way. In that very narrow sense, it's not unlike the recent proliferation of gambling: the shocking ease with which people can gamble now, on almost literally everything, is making gambling addicts of millions of people who might never otherwise have been exposed to it. It's one thing for someone to work to seek it out, and quite another when someone is constantly being enticed into it.

Which is to say, just because an active black market would spring up for guns, were they heavily restricted, is no reason for keeping guns as easy to obtain as a six-pack of beer.

Edited by chasfh

One purpose of the "only outlaws will have guns" mantra was to make us feel less safe b/c there'd be fewer "good guys with guns" to save the day.  I think that's proven to be a worthless defense tactic.

I just wish republicans hated guns as much as they hated minorities and LGBTQ and Drag Queens.

• Thanks 2