Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

36 minutes ago, oblong said:

One purpose of the "only outlaws will have guns" mantra was to make us feel less safe b/c there'd be fewer "good guys with guns" to save the day.  I think that's proven to be a worthless defense tactic.

I just wish republicans hated guns as much as they hated minorities and LGBTQ and Drag Queens.

I wish they loved children as much as they love guns.

Canada recently enacted a law that did not ban handguns, but banned the sale of them.  You can't buy one legally anymore.  If you own one legally, you can keep it, but you can't sell it and no one can inherit it.  Your estate has to hand it in.  I am satisfied with this approach.  The risk of course is that a future Conservative government could change things.

18 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Canada recently enacted a law that did not ban handguns, but banned the sale of them.  You can't buy one legally anymore.  If you own one legally, you can keep it, but you can't sell it and no one can inherit it.  Your estate has to hand it in.  I am satisfied with this approach.  The risk of course is that a future Conservative government could change things.

You'll want your handgun when the tyrannical Canadian government starts stripping away your civil liberties such as a right to abortion or the right to dress in drag. 

• Like 1

Baby steps, in Texas of all places.

‘Raise the age’ gun bill passes Texas committee after months of advocacy by Uvalde families

Niki Griswold
Tue, May 9, 2023 at 5:51 AM EDT

In a shocking and last-minute turn of events in Texas, a bill that would raise the minimum age to purchase AR-15 style semiautomatic rifles from 18 to 21 passed out of a House committee Monday, advancing the measure hours before a key deadline.

Several Uvalde victims' relatives burst into sobs and cheers in the Capitol hearing room when two Republicans joined all the Democrats on the committee to advance the bill by an 8-5 vote.

“I'm feeling very overwhelmed, very emotional,” Kimberly Garcia said through tears after the committee vote. Her 10-year-old daughter, Amerie Jo Garza, was one of the 19 fourth graders and two teachers killed at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde on May 24, 2022.

“I was super worried, but I feel like my daughter did this, and I feel like she's making a difference, and I'm proud of her. I hate that it's come down to this, but I know that she's always with me, and I know that I'm not going to let anyone ever forget her," Garcia said.

Uvalde victims' relatives have been advocating for lawmakers to pass House Bill 2744 for months, coming to the Capitol nearly every week during the legislative session to demand its passage and even waiting more than 13 hours to testify in support of the bill in a committee hearing in April.

Their unrelenting push for lawmakers to pass gun control legislation has been an uphill battle in a Republican-dominated Legislature that has loosened gun restrictions in recent sessions. Monday’s vote, however, was a significant victory for the families.

As recently as 10 a.m. Monday, Rio Grande City Republican Rep. Ryan Guillen, who chairs the committee where the bill was pending, had said he was not planning to bring the bill up for a vote because he didn’t believe it had the votes to pass in the full House.

But by 11 a.m., after an emotional protest and news conference by the Uvalde families and gun control activists Monday, Guillen changed course.

The Uvalde gunman purchased his AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle legally just days after his 18th birthday, having unsuccessfully tried to acquire one before he was legally old enough to do so under state law.

While Monday’s progress was a major, and unexpected, step forward, the future of the bill remains uncertain. Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan previously said he would be willing to let a debate on the bill play out on the House floor but cautioned that he doesn’t believe it has the votes to pass the House.

Gov. Greg Abbott has said he believes the measure to be unconstitutional. A spokesperson for the speaker’s office declined to comment on the bill’s progress Monday, and a representative for the governor did not immediately return a request for comment.

9 hours ago, oblong said:

One purpose of the "only outlaws will have guns" mantra was to make us feel less safe b/c there'd be fewer "good guys with guns" to save the day.  I think that's proven to be a worthless defense tactic.

I just wish republicans hated guns as much as they hated minorities and LGBTQ and Drag Queens.

What you are missing is that the vast majority of people carry a firearm to protect themselves and their family and not to be that good guy with a gun.   A persons ability to protect themselves and their family is more important than ever with the failure of the Biden administration to protect our borders.   Thanks to Biden or whoever is running that disaster in the White House, more and more people will be carrying firearms so you better get used to it when you are in public.  Its going to get a lot worse real soon too. 

14 minutes ago, Archie said:

What you are missing is that the vast majority of people carry a firearm to protect themselves and their family and not to be that good guy with a gun.   A persons ability to protect themselves and their family is more important than ever with the failure of the Biden administration to protect our borders.   Thanks to Biden or whoever is running that disaster in the White House, more and more people will be carrying firearms so you better get used to it when you are in public.  Its going to get a lot worse real soon too. 

Horse****. “Protect our borders”. Get out of here with that dumb ass crap.   Is that what happened at the gay nightclub?  Or the schools? Or the churches?  Or the mall?  Or the other mall?  Or the movie theater?  Or Vegas? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Archie said:

What you are missing is that the vast majority of people carry a firearm to protect themselves and their family and not to be that good guy with a gun.   A persons ability to protect themselves and their family is more important than ever

HaHaHa. Any fool is safer to have the guns gone than to try and manuever his 50yr fat slow rear end, shaky hands and failing eyesight to 'protect his family' by trying to take down an assaultant who is younger, faster,  is probably better armed and has all the initiative.

Other than that, you go with that strategy. Good luck being the *maybe* one in 10 who end up lucky enough to come out on the better end of that confrontation.

In the real world the facts are clear. You are far more likely to end up with your own wife or child or neighbor dead at the hands of your own weapon either by accident or loss of your own self-control than you are of ever taking on that scumbag immigrant.  Those are real facts, not your Man-Boy fantasies.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The most dangerous border city in the US is on the Canadian border. One of the safest large cities in the US is on the Mexican border. 

You've argued this before and it's not as clear of a **** post as Archies', but it's still a **** post.  

Name 1 northern border city that is having trouble due to border related issues?  Name 1 northern border city that has one of their top 5 issues related to a border issue?  

The border is a legit issue for several reasons, the safety of those trying to get here (god bless them), the money/industry it's creating for cartels, I won't say the safety, but the well being of folks living on the southern border, many of them minority citizens.  

You folks keep on thinking you're going to turn Texas blue and finally change everything for the better, yet you refuse to pay attention at the local level just because it goes against a narrative you think is a winning narrative.  I don't get it.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

HaHaHa. Any fool is safer to have the guns gone than to try and manuever his 50yr fat slow rear end, shaky hands and failing eyesight to 'protect his family' by trying to take down an assaultant who is younger, faster,  is probably better armed and has all the initiative.

Other than that, you go with that strategy. Good luck being the *maybe* one in 10 who end up lucky enough to come out on the better end of that confrontation.

In the real world the facts are clear. You are far more likely to end up with your own wife or child or neighbor dead at the hands of your own weapon either by accident or loss of your own self-control than you are of ever taking on that scumbag immigrant.  Those are real facts, not your Man-Boy fantasies.

Well done.  Also, the assailant is wearing a vest {I'm going to get in trouble now for not using the correct terminology. lol) and you aren't.  "Protect his family", JHC that is the so absolutely stupidest reason for resisting the common sense approach to gun control in every other civilized society in the world that I don't know whether to laugh or cry, it is so incomprehensably stupid.  Take away the handguns, even if it takes a generation.  Take away the AR 15 style weapons, right now.  People can have all the shotguns they want, for ducks, and bolt-action single shot hunting rifles for deer, as many as they want.  Anyone who disagrees with this is too stupid to breathe our air.  Sorry if that offends anyone, the majority of people agrees with this.  

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

You've argued this before and it's not as clear of a **** post as Archies', but it's still a **** post.  

Name 1 northern border city that is having trouble due to border related issues?  Name 1 northern border city that has one of their top 5 issues related to a border issue?  

The border is a legit issue for several reasons, the safety of those trying to get here (god bless them), the money/industry it's creating for cartels, I won't say the safety, but the well being of folks living on the southern border, many of them minority citizens.  

You folks keep on thinking you're going to turn Texas blue and finally change everything for the better, yet you refuse to pay attention at the local level just because it goes against a narrative you think is a winning narrative.  I don't get it.

I'm not the one who made the claim we need guns more than ever because of the border. Weird you didn't jump on that one. 

And yet, Texas continues to move to the left and the border area is still among the bluest parts of the state. 

D2BFylzXgAEJrl6.thumb.png.ceb57d7b37be25d9eaaa887cd5ee57ae.png

8 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Texas resident here....Yes, Texas is trending blue. Those aren't just liberal talking points.

Now, the degree to which it trends blue is dependent on a few things, including border issues and how it impacts the thinking of those who live down in the Valley. 

But the trend is there. Particularly given the population difference between places in the Texas Triangle (ie. DFW/Houston/SA/Austin) and the Valley, whose population is to Texas what the UP is to Michigan 

I don't believe people crossing the border are more dangerous than anyone else.  Studies have shown that immigrants commit crimes at lower rates than native born Americans and that undocumented immigrants have an even lower rate (don't want to be caught and deported!).  Logistically, we still need to limit the number of new immigrants each year, but crime isn't the reason.  Neither is disease, since immigrants tend to be healthier than Amercians.  

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't believe people crossing the border are more dangerous than anyone else.  Studies have shown that immigrants commit crimes at lower rates than native born Americans and that undocumented immigrants have an even lower rate (don't want to be caught and deported!).  Logistically, we still need to limit the number of new immigrants each year, but crime isn't the reason.  Neither is disease, since immigrants tend to be healthier than Amercians.  

Unfortunately, studies have shown than studies are far less effective at getting through to the maga right than something posted by a random guy on Facebook with a flag and the word Patriot in their profile.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The other part about illegal immigration and the spike in asylum seekers (they are conflated a lot but are two different things, fwiw) is that the debate is completely uncentered around actually fixing the problem and more about short term band aids. Militarizing the border and forcing asylum seekers to apply for asylum in other jurisdictions, those are band aids.... they don't solve the problem of people making the choice to trek 1000s of miles to try to get to the United States.

The only real way the problem is truly solved is through policy change and cooperation with origin countries that involve helping to raise the standard of living enough that it dissuades people from deciding to make that trek.... but OTOH, the people who are most animated by the border tend to be the same people who want to indiscriminately cut foreign aid and think it's all a waste of money, so my guess is that we will be dealing with the status quo regardless of who is in office going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Crime is still an issue, but it's more property crimes that are an issue which can be correlated to the logistics involving the fact we don't have the resources to handle the influx.  In part, that's why you're even seeing Democrats in south Texas push for Biden to be more active in controlling the border.  

Note, i'm not on a MAGA blow horn chanting 'build the wall', simply stating that it's a problem that is impacting the lives of folks in that region.  Even if you believe we should welcome them all with open arms, then you need to put the resources in place to welcome them without disrupting everyone else.  

26 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Crime is still an issue, but it's more property crimes that are an issue which can be correlated to the logistics involving the fact we don't have the resources to handle the influx.  In part, that's why you're even seeing Democrats in south Texas push for Biden to be more active in controlling the border.  

Note, i'm not on a MAGA blow horn chanting 'build the wall', simply stating that it's a problem that is impacting the lives of folks in that region.  Even if you believe we should welcome them all with open arms, then you need to put the resources in place to welcome them without disrupting everyone else.  

I understand the concern for local residents.  I would be concerned if there was a large influx influx of new people into my home town just because of logistics (something I mentioned in my post).  However, it's not a bunch of disease infested criminals invading America like many of the MAGA are saying.  There will be bad people among every group anywhere, but they are not committing crimes at a higher rate than native born Americans.  

• Like 2