Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

The pro 2nd Amendment folks keep missing the part about a WELL REGULATED militia. 

I would assume that would also regulate the types of firearms. You buy a military style weapon, you sign up for monthly weekend drills and spend part of your vacation at camp.  

The push back you'll get from the gun nuts is that "well regulated" didn't have the same meaning in the 1700's as it does today.  To regulate something meant to have processes in place for calling up, training and deploying the militia.  

The whole thing is absolute BS.  The 2nd Amendment was written for a very specific purpose, to ensure there would be civilians with guns that could be relied upon to assist the newly formed US Army in fighting off a threat to the country.  Heller, a 5-4 decision from a conservative majority, is the most blatantly wrong decision in the history of the Supreme Court.  

And before some gun nut goes off on me, I'm a gun owner and have my CPL.  I'm not saying that people don't have a right to own certain firearms, I'm just saying it's absurd to claim you have that right because of an outdated relic from our past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, MIguy said:

The push back you'll get from the gun nuts is that "well regulated" didn't have the same meaning in the 1700's as it does today.  To regulate something meant to have processes in place for calling up, training and deploying the militia.  

The whole thing is absolute BS.  The 2nd Amendment was written for a very specific purpose, to ensure there would be civilians with guns that could be relied upon to assist the newly formed US Army in fighting off a threat to the country.  Heller, a 5-4 decision from a conservative majority, is the most blatantly wrong decision in the history of the Supreme Court.  

And before some gun nut goes off on me, I'm a gun owner and have my CPL.  I'm not saying that people don't have a right to own certain firearms, I'm just saying it's absurd to claim you have that right because of an outdated relic from our past. 

It also speaks to the double standard conservatives employ about, I think it's called Originalism?

"we have to go by what they said.... no exceptions"

"well that's not what they were referring to..."

2 hours ago, MIguy said:

Dred Scott might like to have a word with you about this. 😏

Notwithstanding this, I totally cosign onto your post.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

It also speaks to the double standard conservatives employ about, I think it's called Originalism?

"we have to go by what they said.... no exceptions"

"well that's not what they were referring to..."

If they were actually originalists they would know that there's no authority in the constitution for judiciary to overturn laws.   That power was granted to the court by the court itself in Marbury v Madison, not by the words of the constitution 

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, this is what you need for personal protection.   This is what you need for hunting.  This kind of gun. 

Get the **** out of here with this.  Another scumbag using a weapon exactly the way it was designed - to mow down as many people as you can,  as quickly as possible.        Yeah, it's okay to have these around...............**** this.   This is why when I get enough money I'm out of here.     Totally sickening and disgusting and nothing will be done.      Then we'll talk about the next tragedy,  "oh, if only............"    I can watch baseball on the internet in Ireland or Spain or wherever, and I'll also be able to go to a store, or a parade, or street fair or bowling without having to worry about "what if....."    So sick of these gun nuts.     

Maine-active-shooter-102523.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&resize=218%2C123

Said it before and I'll say it again, the 2nd Amendment is an outdated relic that has no place in today's society.   I'm all for people being able to own certain types of weapons, but nobody needs high capacity semi-automatic rifles unless they are law enforcement or military. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, the 2nd Amendment is an outdated relic that has no place in today's society.   I'm all for people being able to own certain types of weapons, but nobody needs high capacity semi-automatic rifles unless they are law enforcement or military. 

It's very outdated.  It's a totally different country today in terms of population size, technology, etc.  There is no comparison.  

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

“Thoughts and prayers” have been largely replaced by “it’s not the guns, it’s mental illness”.

There is some truth to this, but the same people that make this claim anytime we see something like this, do nothing to try and help deal with mental illness.

• Thanks 1