Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

Mental health is an issue, sure.  But this is a situation where a mental health issue was discovered months ago.  And yet, here we are with another mass shooting.  So now what?

Tell you what, the new speaker of the house wants to be a leader and believes he has the solution to the problem?  Drop his ass off in Maine, let him be a part of the manhunt, let him try to talk the gun out of Card's hands.  Go ahead, let leadership have at it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I do agree with republicans that mental illness (in a holistic view) is the root of the problem and until that is properly cared for you will continue to see deaths due to someone 'snapping'.

I tend to believe that the desire to acquire a whole arsenal of weapons of war is probably linked to mental illness.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I do agree with republicans that mental illness (in a holistic view) is the root of the problem and until that is properly cared for you will continue to see deaths due to someone 'snapping'.  Guns are just a more efficient way for these folks to rack up a body count.

My problem with republicans isn't that they are incorrect on the root of the problem, it's that they refuse to put a band-aid on it (common sense gun laws) and offer no solutions on the mental illness portion outside of 'go find God'.   The democratic solution of focusing on the guns, IMO, doesn't address the root of the problem, but it definitely would save lives while we all work to correct the root of the problem.

one of great virtues of those late 18th century white males that cobbled together our governing systems is that they had no romantic illusions about the frailties of humanity. They tried to put together systems that could function with the state of humanity where it was. If all those conservatives really had any feel for how the founders really thought, they would agree with you that if you find yourself with a population that isn't safe with the available types of weaponry, don't count on perfecting the population, that's an idealistic bridge too far, solve the problem more practically - remove that availability.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, MIguy said:

I own 3 handguns and have been feeling like I have at least one and maybe two too many.  Collecting antique weapons is one thing but anyone who feels the need to have that many working guns should be on a list.   

I am tracking this sentiment. i have more than that.  i enjoy the process of shooting and all but it’s becoming a grimmer thing because of the political scheiss that appends to being a shooter. 

35 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I am tracking this sentiment. i have more than that.  i enjoy the process of shooting and all but it’s becoming a grimmer thing because of the political scheiss that appends to being a shooter. 

It's fun going to the range and popping off some rounds, what I don't understand is people needing a half a dozen or more rifles that fire the same rounds.  

Maybe I shouldn't have had any higher expectations of the folks that told me for decades the 2nd Amendment was awesome because they could stop a tyrannical government..... then they voted for a tyrannical government, did nothing to stop the tyranny, and also played coup errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr tourist at the capitol in order to try to keep the tyrannical government in power.

9 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

17 "Good guys with guns" could (or would) not stop one a-hole with a knife....

They should all be charged as accessories to the murder.

It seems like all of you folks claim you hate Twitter, but then someone says something on Twitter, which is horribly slanted, you agree with it and love it.  I don't get it.  One person said there was 17 people with guns, in reading the story, the first person at the scene didn't have a gun and yelled at the person which spooked the assailant and caused him to flee.  

No one else was injured, no one was shot by accident.  It is a horrible story, but outside of one eye witness that it sounds like showed up after the fact, this story is not about guns.