Lions at Vikings - 10/10/21 - 1:00pm - FOX

MotownWebGuy

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have no interest in taking any of the QBs with our first pick, take BPA with our 1st and WR with our second.

2023 looks to be shaping up much better for QBs with guys like Bryce Young, CJ Stroud and more.  Since we're gonna suck next year too might as well wait and get a better guy while also building up the rest of the team first.

100% on board with this.

The only thing that changes it is if BPA for our first pick actually is a QB.

But... so far, it doesn't look like it...

Edited by 1984Echoes

The ideal scenario would certainly be to plug a QB in such that he is prepared to lead the team to a championship right as the team's talent is at the point where it can contend in championships. That's not always realistic.

It is more important you get the right QB than it is you get them at the right time. Josh Allen for instance held the Bills back for a year or two until he really took off last year. I'm sure that in hindsight though they wouldn't change their pick in exchange for having taken Trubisky or Kizer in 2017 (the first year of McDermott), or Goff, Wentz, or Lynch in 2016 (the year before McDermott).

I think the Bills model is the best, yes Allen struggled the first couple years despite having a solid team around him but I think that was more due to him being a raw talent coming from a small college than anything.  

If we use that same blueprint but instead the qb we draft isnt as raw we may see immediate success much like LA has gotten with Herbert.

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

You can’t wait until year 3 of your rebuild to draft a QB.  That’s too long into the process.  

KC sat with Alex Smith for 2 years during a rebuild and then got Mahomes and had a ready made team around him. You know who was at KC for that and is now with the Lions, John Dorsey. So I am with in that we have to take a QB at some point because Jared Goff isn't the answer. I am with you that Malik Willis is one to watch for and that I like him. I don't feel though that passing on a QB this year brings about end of times and stalls our rebuild. I think this or next would be fine times to take a QB since we're 3 years away from competing as is.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

KC sat with Alex Smith for 2 years during a rebuild and then got Mahomes and had a ready made team around him. You know who was at KC for that and is now with the Lions, John Dorsey. So I am with in that we have to take a QB at some point because Jared Goff isn't the answer. I am with you that Malik Willis is one to watch for and that I like him. I don't feel though that passing on a QB this year brings about end of times and stalls our rebuild. I think this or next would be fine times to take a QB since we're 3 years away from competing as is.

Kansas City traded for Alex Smith after going 2-14 and drafting a LT #1 overall. They didn't panic and draft a QB in a draft that didn't have any good QBs. 

2 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Good stuff from Kyle in this Q and A.  Addresses the QB situation as well.

"Depending on what numbers you like most, Jared Goff is somewhere between one of the least explosive quarterbacks in the NFL, and the least explosive quarterback in the NFL. On Sunday, more than half his passes were within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. His completions traveled an average of 2.5 yards, the second-worst game by any quarterback in the NFL this season, trailing only, you guessed it, Jared Goff from Week 3.

For the season, his completions are traveling 3.7 yards through the air, which is, yep, you guessed it again, dead last in the league."

As i said in a gamethread and was rudely questioned: dink dunk dink dunk.  goff will not throw downfield.  maybe he used to, but he doesnt now and that's why the rams benched him and got rid of him.

They had Campbell on the radio yesterday with Dan Miller and he said they would like Goff to take more shots down the field and just get bigger plays in general,  he said the more plays you run on a drive the likelier you are to run one where you dont execute properly and something bad happens like a crucial sack, penalty or fumble. He blames that on for their issues turning long drives into TDs or even points in many cases. 

I know the receivers suck and they likely aren't going to come down with any 50/50 balls but you have to atleast try. There's a point where you can be too cautious with your throws and that's where Goff appears to be.  Throwing interceptions 40 yards down the field arent the end of the world. 

19 minutes ago, buddha said:

in fairness to goff, as is also mentioned in that q and a, he has no receivers to throw to.  lions have the worst receiver corps in the league by far.

otoh, did you see kenny golladay is hurt again?  yeah, i was stunned too.

I'm glad Holmes didn't panic and franchise or sign Golladay long term. 

Not sure if this goes here or the draft thread but I believe that come spring, the best player available in the draft will be Malik Willis.  I don’t think it will be particularly close either.   I also believe he will be viewed as a better NFL prospect than any of the 2023 draft eligible QBs.  

Edited by Hongbit

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Not sure if this goes here or the draft thread but I believe that come spring, the best player available in the draft will be Malik Willis.  I don’t think it will be particularly close either.   I also believe he will be viewed as a better NFL prospect than any of the 2023 draft eligible QBs.  

I hope so.  That would be amazing.

37 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

if so, the lions will be trading their #1 pick this year, the rams #1 pick this year or next, and a third rounder to go up and get him.

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

and that might not be enough considering the eagles might have three top ten picks and a need at qb.  cause jalen hurts aint it.

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

if so, the lions will be trading their #1 pick this year, the rams #1 pick this year or next, and a third rounder to go up and get him.

I expect the Eagles will most likely use those picks to trade for Deshaun Watson.    

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's quite possible the Lions will have the #1 overall pick. If Philadelphia wants to throw a package like that at the Lions for Willis, I probably take it. 

maybe.  i think the lions have been more competitive than the jaguars so far.  but you might be right.