Lions at Vikings - 10/10/21 - 1:00pm - FOX

MotownWebGuy

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

The Jaguars are playing for a man who will not be their coach next year, and is 50/50 to even make it 17 games. 

that kind of supports my point.

although the jaguars have more talent than the lions and by the end of the season will probably have the better qb.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

maybe.  i think the lions have been more competitive than the jaguars so far.  but you might be right.

I think the Lions are better than Jacksonville but it's certainly possible the Lions could have the #1 pick. I think they will end up in the 2-4 range. If it's going to cost 2 1sts to move up one spot, I don't do it. 

1 minute ago, buddha said:

that kind of supports my point.

although the jaguars have more talent than the lions and by the end of the season will probably have the better qb.

It was meant to. It was just meant to say despite having what is likely the worst roster in the NFL, I would rather be the Lions than a lot of NFL teams right now. The Jaguars, Texans, Dolphins, Giants, and Bears all come to mind.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It was meant to. It was just meant to say despite having what is likely the worst roster in the NFL, I would rather be the Lions than a lot of NFL teams right now. The Jaguars, Texans, Dolphins, Giants, and Bears all come to mind.

I'd definitely rather be the Jaguars or Bears. They have their potential franchise QB already. They're sort of like the Pistons, not a good enough roster to win now but they have the potential star in place already whereas the Lions best player is a center who is now out for the season because... Lions.

Edited by NYLion

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have no interest in taking any of the QBs with our first pick, take BPA with our 1st and WR with our second.

2023 looks to be shaping up much better for QBs with guys like Bryce Young, CJ Stroud and more.  Since we're gonna suck next year too might as well wait and get a better guy while also building up the rest of the team first.

The Lions definitely need a Goff replacement but I don't think they should be so desperate to replace Goff now to feel forced to reach for a QB with their 1st pick. If they see a guy they really like in the mid 1st then maybe trade up to get one but definitely not with their 1st pick.

What they need is playmakers, offense and defense. No more fat guys on the lines with the top 5 picks, load up on playmakers on both sides of the ball.

Edited by NYLion

9 hours ago, NYLion said:

I'd definitely rather be the Jaguars or Bears. They have their potential franchise QB already. They're sort of like the Pistons, not a good enough roster to win now but they have the potential star in place already whereas the Lions best player is a center who is now out for the season because... Lions.

I don't think either the Jaguars or Bears have "bottomed out" and cleaned house though, which is what we are doing right now. As long as the Jags have Urban Meyer, and as long as the Bears have Nagy/Pace, they won't have commenced a successful rebuild towards being successful.

Give me two seasons of 2-15 and 7-10 ball before continued 10-win seasons over perpetual 8-9 or 9-8 purgatory.

17 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think either the Jaguars or Bears have "bottomed out" and cleaned house though, which is what we are doing right now. As long as the Jags have Urban Meyer, and as long as the Bears have Nagy/Pace, they won't have commenced a successful rebuild towards being successful.

Give me two seasons of 2-15 and 7-10 ball before continued 10-win seasons over perpetual 8-9 or 9-8 purgatory.

The Jags definitely bottomed out, they drafted a QB with the #1 pick and are in line for another top 3 pick so certainly no purgatory there and I doubt Urban is long for the NFL. He's the type of snake to slither out the back door when the going gets tough.

I agree with the Bears, they have a lot of vets to team with a young QB so they're right in that Purgatory Zone but at least they have that potential franchise QB to build around.

The Lions will never compete for the big prize without a franchise QB. I know that Goff played in a SB once upon a time but he's not THAT guy anymore. It doesn't mean that they need to draft a QB right now but soon, like 2023 draft at the latest or else they'll be that team stuck in purgatory with an average QB that can't take them to new heights.

Edited by NYLion

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Jags definitely bottomed out, they drafted a QB with the #1 pick and are in line for another top 3 pick so certainly no purgatory there and I doubt Urban is long for the NFL. He's the type of snake to slither out the back door when the going gets tough.

I agree with the Bears, they have a lot of vets to team with a young QB so they're right in that Purgatory Zone but at least they have that potential franchise QB to build around.

The Lions will never compete for the big prize without a franchise QB. I know that Goff played in a SB once upon a time but he's not THAT guy anymore. It doesn't mean that they need to draft a QB right now but soon, like 2023 draft at the latest or else they'll be that team stuck in purgatory with an average QB that can't take them to new heights.

I agree that the Lions will need a franchise QB before they'll take the next step into being a true contender. I just think that where things stand right now, the Lions (even with that question mark) are better positioned to be good before the Jaguars/Bears/Giants/etc., when those clubs don't know who their leadership may be for when they are ready to take that next step, and don't have a set three-plus year plan either because of it.

If your position is that TLaw is the wildcard such that even without that plan, just having him on your team puts your team in a position to win, I can understand that. I don't think I agree with it, as I think the start he has gotten in Jacksonville is more likely to either waste his generational talent or have him be the next Stafford rather than him lead that team out of the NFL's cellar.

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree that the Lions will need a franchise QB before they'll take the next step into being a true contender. I just think that where things stand right now, the Lions (even with that question mark) are better positioned to be good before the Jaguars/Bears/Giants/etc., when those clubs don't know who their leadership may be for when they are ready to take that next step, and don't have a set three-plus year plan either because of it.

If your position is that TLaw is the wildcard such that even without that plan, just having him on your team puts your team in a position to win, I can understand that. I don't think I agree with it, as I think the start he has gotten in Jacksonville is more likely to either waste his generational talent or have him be the next Stafford rather than him lead that team out of the NFL's cellar.

I agree that having Lawrence alone isn't a guarantee of success but having the franchise QB as a base is a great foundation to build off of. I'd rather be a team with a franchise QB to build around than one with more stable leadership and no franchise QB to build around. 

With that said, the Jags are in danger of wasting Lawrence's career if they have a revolving door of coaches throughout his career. Hiring Urban Meyer is not a good start.

Just now, NYLion said:

I agree that having Lawrence alone isn't a guarantee of success but having the franchise QB as a base is a great foundation to build off of. I'd rather be a team with a franchise QB to build around than one with more stable leadership and no franchise QB to build around. 

With that said, the Jags are in danger of wasting Lawrence's career if they have a revolving door of coaches throughout his career. Hiring Urban Meyer is not a good start.

I suppose it comes down to foundation > QB or QB > foundation. I think I would argue the former and you the latter.

I would rather have Holmes/Campbell (or any two new quality minds hired to start fresh) picking my franchise QB without one already on the roster than have Baalke/Meyer picking Lawrence (as obvious as that was) or Pace/Nagy picking Fields in an attempt to save their job, and those QBs being stuck with someone new in year two as the franchise presses the reset button. I think the latter leads to Ron Rivera being handed Dwayne Haskins and Kliff Kingsbury being handed Josh Rosen more often than it is successful.

20 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I suppose it comes down to foundation > QB or QB > foundation. I think I would argue the former and you the latter.

I would rather have Holmes/Campbell (or any two new quality minds hired to start fresh) picking my franchise QB without one already on the roster than have Baalke/Meyer picking Lawrence (as obvious as that was) or Pace/Nagy picking Fields in an attempt to save their job, and those QBs being stuck with someone new in year two as the franchise presses the reset button. I think the latter leads to Ron Rivera being handed Dwayne Haskins and Kliff Kingsbury being handed Josh Rosen more often than it is successful.

That's a valid take although I think it's too early to crown Holmes/Campbell as quality minds until they actually win something. I do like the direction the team is headed in though despite the record, they've been more competitive (especially with the rash of injuries) than I thought they'd be headed into the season.

13 hours ago, buddha said:

the idea that the lions are going to be terrible for at least another two years is kind of depressing.

i'm almost 50!  they need to get a move on!

I don’t see it as a stretch of this team being competitive next year at 7 or 8 wins and then moving into playoff and maybe even division champ in 2 years.  

Holmes has work to do but I’m liking what I’m seeing to this point.   

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Jaguars should have hired Harbaugh instead of Meyer. 

I can see it now, they draft Trevor Lawrence and Harbaugh brings in Andy Dalton, Lawrence rides out his rookie contract and then signs elsewhere. Lawrence would turn into a pumpkin if they signed Harbaugh. Not like Meyer is putting him in a place where he can succeed, he isn't, but we know Harbaugh's record with QB development recently and it's beyond bad.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I can see it now, they draft Trevor Lawrence and Harbaugh brings in Andy Dalton, Lawrence rides out his rookie contract and then signs elsewhere. Lawrence would turn into a pumpkin if they signed Harbaugh. Not like Meyer is putting him in a place where he can succeed, he isn't, but we know Harbaugh's record with QB development recently and it's beyond bad.

harbaugh took a 5 win niners team to the nfc championship game twice and a super bowl.  with a below average qb.

say what you want about his time at michigan, but harbaugh has won in the nfl.  urban meyer is 0-5 and about to get fired.

if i were an nfl team in search of a quick turnaround, i might consider harbaugh.  urban meyer was a publicity stunt from a clueless owner of a terrible franchise.

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You're going to regret the day Meyer gets fired when I abandon firing Harbaugh for Luke Fickell and want #MeyerToMichigan instead haha.

even if michigan would consider it - and they wouldnt - meyer would never come here because he wouldnt be in an environment that would allow him to win.

michigan doesnt pay that well and its university likes to think its better than everyone else in the admissions process.

46 minutes ago, buddha said:

harbaugh took a 5 win niners team to the nfc championship game twice and a super bowl.  with a below average qb.

say what you want about his time at michigan, but harbaugh has won in the nfl.  urban meyer is 0-5 and about to get fired.

if i were an nfl team in search of a quick turnaround, i might consider harbaugh.  urban meyer was a publicity stunt from a clueless owner of a terrible franchise.

Fun fact, it took Harbaugh 22 games to reach his 5th loss of his NFL career.