NBA Season 2021-2022

pfife

just looking at the box score:

1) that's the warriors D+ team we just lost to at home.

2) why is saban lee on the team and not playing while corey joseph plays 30 minutes?

3) whither saddiq bey?  it doesnt seem like he's been very good this season.

4) is stewart hurt?  only 16 minutes.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

i'd be stunned if they fired casey in season.

the only reason i can see them doing it is if cade gets upset at him.  

29 minutes ago, buddha said:

i'd be stunned if they fired casey in season.

the only reason i can see them doing it is if cade gets upset at him.  

Agreed. Just nice to see people talking about this nationally and starting to recognize that Casey isn't the long term answer if you're trying to build a contender.

23 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Agreed. Just nice to see people talking about this nationally and starting to recognize that Casey isn't the long term answer if you're trying to build a contender.

casey just strikes me as a good guy who people like and is known to be good at working with kids.

sam vecinie ranks cade as #4 rookie right now behind mobley, barnes, and franz.  compares him to chris paul in how he reads the game and makes unselfish plays.  says the shooting will come around.

chris paul might be a little much, but its nice to read good things about cade.

btw, jalen green ranks 14.  says the team is better when he's off the court, he's inefficient, terrible on defense, and selfish.  but that he'll eventually be an elite scorer because he's so athletic.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

sam vecinie ranks cade as #4 rookie right now behind mobley, barnes, and franz.  compares him to chris paul in how he reads the game and makes unselfish plays.  says the shooting will come around.

chris paul might be a little much, but its nice to read good things about cade.

btw, jalen green ranks 14.  says the team is better when he's off the court, he's inefficient, terrible on defense, and selfish.  but that he'll eventually be an elite scorer because he's so athletic.

That's about where I would put him as of now too. It may seem high considering his numbers haven't been spectacular but if you look at the numbers from other rookies they're mostly struggling as well so 4th doesn't seem too high. I only watched Franz that game against the Pistons but I thought he looked great in it and his numbers on the season indicate that he has been most of the year. 

Like with Cade(shooting aside) he just looked like a guy that had been in the league for a while and belonged there. Not a rookie that looked over matched, timid and out of place. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Not sure of the answer to that, but I'm not worried about Cade. Rookies don't typically shoot well. Even KD shot 28% from three in his first season. Trae Young shot 32%. There are so many other examples. He's averaging 6.5 Rebounds, 5 assists, and 1.3 steals per game, so he's finding ways to contribute. Not to mention that he'd easily be averaging 8 assists a game if anyone on this team could shoot.

When comparing to last year, I also think people underestimate the impact of last season's vets. Mason Plumlee was a big man in the starting lineup who brought size and verticality to the squad. We also had Rose, Wright, and Ellington playing starter minutes for half the season. Those guys aren't All Stars, but they're enough to make the difference between 16 wins (current pace) and 20 wins (last year).

Casey's offense isn't doing this team any favors either. Don't get me started on that.

That said, there are a couple of concerns I have:

Saddiq Bey -  I have no idea what the deal is with Saddiq but it might be time for a lineup change. Hami has been really bringing it since given a chance to play and he could fit nicely in that starting lineup at SF. He's very active on defense, gets to the rim, and is the only real lob threat on the team (I have no idea why Casey doesn't run plays with Grant going to the rim off of a screen). It also addresses the lack of athleticism in that starting lineup, which is a major concern. The combo of Cade, Hayes, Bey, and Stewart is way too unathletic to work long term anyway. You won't be missing Bey's three ball...because it's not there anyway. This could also benefit Bey, who seemed to do well when running with the bench crew earlier in the year when Casey was trying to stagger Grant and Bey as the primary scorers before Cade came back.

Beef Stew - Even with all the shooting woes on this team, the biggest need is still a Center who can rebound, block shots, and (especially) be a lob threat. I love Beef Stew's motor, but he looks more and more like a bench big man than a starter. He just doesn't offer any sort of offensive outlet to our ball handlers after setting the screen. The defense can key in on the ball handler with plenty of time to recover to Stew due to his lack of explosiveness, verticality, or willingness to shoot. This is really hurting the offense and our young ball handlers in particular.

Edited by Betrayer

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

Not sure of the answer to that, but I'm not worried about Cade. Rookies don't typically shoot well. Even KD shot 28% from three in his first season. Trae Young shot 32%. There are so many other examples. He's averaging 6.5 Rebounds, 5 assists, and 1.3 steals per game, so he's finding ways to contribute. Not to mention that he'd easily be averaging 8 assists a game if anyone on this team could shoot.

When comparing to last year, I also think people underestimate the impact of last season's vets. Mason Plumlee was a big man in the starting lineup who brought size and verticality to the squad. We also had Rose, Wright, and Ellington playing starter minutes for half the season. Those guys aren't All Stars, but they're enough to make the difference between 16 wins (current pace) and 20 wins (last year).

Casey's offense isn't doing this team any favors either. Don't get me started on that.

That said, there are a couple of concerns I have:

Saddiq Bey -  I have no idea what the deal is with Saddiq but it might be time for a lineup change. Hami has been really bringing it since given a chance to play and he could fit nicely in that starting lineup at SF. He's very active on defense, gets to the rim, and is the only real lob threat on the team (I have no idea why Casey doesn't run plays with Grant going to the rim off of a screen). It also addresses the lack of athleticism in that starting lineup, which is a major concern. The combo of Cade, Hayes, Bey, and Stewart is way too unathletic to work long term anyway. You won't be missing Bey's three ball...because it's not there anyway. This could also benefit Bey, who seemed to do well when running with the bench crew earlier in the year when Casey was trying to stagger Grant and Bey as the primary scorers before Cade came back.

Beef Stew - Even with all the shooting woes on this team, the biggest need is still a Center who can rebound, block shots, and (especially) be a lob threat. I love Beef Stew's motor, but he looks more and more like a bench big man than a starter. He just doesn't offer any sort of offensive outlet to our ball handlers after setting the screen. The defense can key in on the ball handler with plenty of time to recover to Stew due to his lack of explosiveness, verticality, or willingness to shoot. This is really hurting the offense and our young ball handlers in particular.

the one caveat is that all these guys are young with room to grow.  the caveat to the caveat is that none of of them appear to be the high level athletes who you might expect big time growth from in the future.

i think cade's shooting will be fine in the long term.  it was all world in college and should be again in the pros.

ive never been on the bey train.  he's a strong player.  i like that.  but he's an sub athletic 3 and d guy.  there's value in that, but he's a role player not a key player on a winning team.

same with stewart.  love the motor and the strength.  love the attitude.  but he's a center who cant really defend the rim or run the rim on offense becuase - again - he's not a big time nba athlete and he's small for his position.  great role player.  not the type of guy who starts on a winning team UNLESS he develops a reliable outside shot.  then he could be very valuable.

killian's shooting has improved (sample size alert) but he's still not getting to the rim and creating contact.  again, he's young and has room to grow.  im actually more bullish on his future than bey's.  i think killian can get to the rim and has the chance to get stronger and take contact.  bey appears to be more of a finished product.

the rest of the team is just a bunch of nba stragglers getting minutes.

again, theyre really young.  i think were in line for another top 5 pick.  hopefully #1 again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love me some Bol Bol! Seriously every time I have ever watched him he did something that impressed me so adding him just gives the Pistons one more player for me to be interested in. Sure it's a long shot he turns into anything decent in the NBA but I think there is atleast a chance he can be a piece for the team going forward so that makes him intriguing to me. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I love me some Bol Bol! Seriously every time I have ever watched him he did something that impressed me so adding him just gives the Pistons one more player for me to be interested in. Sure it's a long shot he turns into anything decent in the NBA but I think there is atleast a chance he can be a piece for the team going forward so that makes him intriguing to me. 

Looks like he's hardly played any competitive minutes since high school. Some G league time I guess?

Edited by gehringer_2

The Knicks are reportedly interested in Grant. One of the Knicks writers offered up some hypothetical offers and a couple I would consider. The best was salary filler(kemba perhaps?), a young prospect like Toppin. Robinson etc. and a first with small provisions like maybe top 5 or 7.

I like this cause I like the idea of getting a young player that has some upside and the Knicks are a team I could easily see collapsing so the pick could be a late lottery or mid teens so it will have some value.  The salary filler would have to be done by the end of next year,  I don't want to take on any contracts that go beyond that. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Knicks are reportedly interested in Grant. One of the Knicks writers offered up some hypothetical offers and a couple I would consider. The best was salary filler(kemba perhaps?), a young prospect like Toppin. Robinson etc. and a first with small provisions like maybe top 5 or 7.

I like this cause I like the idea of getting a young player that has some upside and the Knicks are a team I could easily see collapsing so the pick could be a late lottery or mid teens so it will have some value.  The salary filler would have to be done by the end of next year,  I don't want to take on any contracts that go beyond that. 

I don’t know about Toppin.  But your logic on the pick becoming better is reasonable.