If corporate naming rights went away...........what should our ballpark be called?

Hmm... to take a serious stab at this. If we say that a corporate name is strictly forbidden:

Previous fields that were not corporate named for the Tigers have been named after owners (Bennet Park, Navin Field, Briggs Stadium) so there's a chance it might become Ilitch Field or something like that. I think fans wouldn't be terribly thrilled with Chris Ilitch doing that. Maybe if he said it was named after Mike Ilitch rather than himself he could get away with it.

Beyond that I'm not sure what other options work. Maybe Motown Field or Automotive Park to try to tie into Detroit. I could do Motown Field but Automotive Park sounds awful and would probably be nicknamed "Car Park" in no time. Maybe Motor City Stadium?

You could try something like Tiger Den, but that feels more like a nickname vs. a formal name (and tigers don't actually live in dens). Same with something like Jungle Stadium or Stripes Park. Those just feel too cutesy.

I think Tiger Stadium is the logical choice, but if we were to also exclude that as an option I'd probably go with Motown Field or Motor City Stadium myself.

26 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Hmm... to take a serious stab at this. If we say that a corporate name is strictly forbidden:

Previous fields that were not corporate named for the Tigers have been named after owners (Bennet Park, Navin Field, Briggs Stadium) so there's a chance it might become Ilitch Field or something like that. I think fans wouldn't be terribly thrilled with Chris Ilitch doing that. Maybe if he said it was named after Mike Ilitch rather than himself he could get away with it.

Beyond that I'm not sure what other options work. Maybe Motown Field or Automotive Park to try to tie into Detroit. I could do Motown Field but Automotive Park sounds awful and would probably be nicknamed "Car Park" in no time. Maybe Motor City Stadium?

You could try something like Tiger Den, but that feels more like a nickname vs. a formal name (and tigers don't actually live in dens). Same with something like Jungle Stadium or Stripes Park. Those just feel too cutesy.

I think Tiger Stadium is the logical choice, but if we were to also exclude that as an option I'd probably go with Motown Field or Motor City Stadium myself.

Motor City Stadium is kinda growing on me.👌

1 minute ago, oblong said:

It was a 30 year deal right?  

If they changed it people would still call it Comerica.  Because it rhymes with America it doesn't seem corporate to me

I agee that Comerica is less annoying than other corporate names.  It sounds like a baseball park.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

It was a 30 year deal right?  

If they changed it people would still call it Comerica.  Because it rhymes with America it doesn't seem corporate to me

Same thing with Great American Ballpark.  Doesn't feel like it's a corporate sponsored name, but it is.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agee that Comerica is less annoying than other corporate names.  It sounds like a baseball park.  

Only because you’re used to it over 20 years now. Lots of consternation and out cry when it opened.  Many referred to it as the CoPa, as both shorthand, but also to avoid saying Comerica.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Only because you’re used to it over 20 years now. Lots of consternation and out cry when it opened.  Many referred to it as the CoPa, as both shorthand, but also to avoid saying Comerica.

I seem to remember there by some effort to get people to NOT call it CoPa as they (ie, Comerica and the Tigers) wanted people to use the full name. 

I agree that Comerica doesn't sound corporate now because it's been 20+ years of us using it. I thought it sounded very corporate originally and I kinda hated that it didn't feel like it had anything to do with Detroit. I mean Ford Field is very corporate as well but even if you don't consider that it's also the owner, at least Ford is a Detroit thing.

That said, I also agree with those who say it could be much worse (in no particular order):
Citizens Bank Park
Globe Life Field
Guaranteed Rate Field
LoanDepot Park
PNC Park
T-Mobile Park

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

There are lots of names that could be selected.  My thinking was that Kaline was involved with the Tigers on and off the field longer than any of them    

Yeah, you're probably right... I'm particular to the 1935 season so that's why my mind went there, but Kaline certainly was connected to the Tigers for a longer time.

My dream:
Cochrane Stadium
Clark Field
Adams Arena

Yeah... that'd work for me. 🙂

58 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I used to it as Commerical Park.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I preferred that it remained Tigers Stadium for tradition, but I never really hated the name "Comerica".  

41 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I seem to remember there by some effort to get people to NOT call it CoPa as they (ie, Comerica and the Tigers) wanted people to use the full name. 

I agree that Comerica doesn't sound corporate now because it's been 20+ years of us using it. I thought it sounded very corporate originally and I kinda hated that it didn't feel like it had anything to do with Detroit. I mean Ford Field is very corporate as well but even if you don't consider that it's also the owner, at least Ford is a Detroit thing.

That said, I also agree with those who say it could be much worse (in no particular order):
Citizens Bank Park
Globe Life Field
Guaranteed Rate Field
LoanDepot Park
PNC Park
T-Mobile Park

Comerica used to be very Detroit.  It started out as the Detroit Savings Fund Institute and then The Detroit Savings Bank, The Detroit Bank, and then The Detroit Bank & Trust Company.  They didn't change to Comerica until the 1980s.  In 2007 they decided to move their headquarters out of Detroit and to Dallas.  

48 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Citizens Bank Park
Globe Life Field
Guaranteed Rate Field
LoanDepot Park
PNC Park
T-Mobile Park

also with Ford Field is that we have one in Dearborn and there's another in Livonia... there's so many things around here called "Ford (Something)" that it's not viewed as a corporate name but rather a person.... like Bennet Park or Navin Field.

6 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Comerica used to be very Detroit.  It started out as the Detroit Savings Fund Institute and then The Detroit Savings Bank, The Detroit Bank, and then The Detroit Bank & Trust Company.  They didn't change to Comerica until the 1980s.  In 2007 they decided to move their headquarters out of Detroit and to Dallas.  

They also merged with Manufacturers - a even older Det bank. The blue badge that is that background of Comerica's logo is from the old Manufacturer's Bank logo.