Lions schedule and NFL predictions

TP_Fan

17 hours ago, djhutch said:

I'm as excited & optimistic as the next guy, but I could see us starting out 4-5 & having people panic, & then winning the last 8 in a row.

You know they will lose a couple they aren't supposed to and win a couple where you think they have no shot.   

Here's my problem.   Everybody is loving on the Lions.   5 national games.   Tons of praise for their offseason (not the draft).   It's too good.   It's too optimistic.   We're being set up, aren't we?     It's like that extreme diet where someone puts an electric shock thing on the fridge handle and the person keeps shocking themselves every time they go to the fridge until the very sight of food makes them cower in the corner in the fetal position.   That's what they are doing to us, aren't they?     

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You know they will lose a couple they aren't supposed to and win a couple where you think they have no shot.   

Here's my problem.   Everybody is loving on the Lions.   5 national games.   Tons of praise for their offseason (not the draft).   It's too good.   It's too optimistic.   We're being set up, aren't we?     It's like that extreme diet where someone puts an electric shock thing on the fridge handle and the person keeps shocking themselves every time they go to the fridge until the very sight of food makes them cower in the corner in the fetal position.   That's what they are doing to us, aren't they?     

youre just salty because your leafs lost.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

youre just salty because your leafs lost.

No, I am a Lions fan and I know we are being set up................it's in the script.    There always has to be a lovable loser.     We're Ducky and we dream Molly Ringwald will pick us, but she'll always go with Andrew McCarthy.      Cue OMD's "If You Leave"

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 7:43 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

I would have liked to see this, but it doesn't surprise me the NFL / Amazon chose money.

Yeah, I would have been for that as well. I suspect traditions like the Lions T-Day game won't really happen anymore because money speaks louder. It's unfortunate.

Here's an interesting thought: What if weeks 2-17 every team got a designated Thursday game?  It'd require two Thursday games every week, but that's 16 week x2 = 32.  Every year your team in week-x will play Thursday. I wonder if other teams would like that or not?

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, I would have been for that as well. I suspect traditions like the Lions T-Day game won't really happen anymore because money speaks louder. It's unfortunate.

Here's an interesting thought: What if weeks 2-17 every team got a designated Thursday game?  It'd require two Thursday games every week, but that's 16 week x2 = 32.  Every year your team in week-x will play Thursday. I wonder if other teams would like that or not?

I don’t think teams would mind but I think the NFL would axe this for money reasons as well. They probably don’t want to box themselves out of money. If the Panthers and Cardinals for instance were really good one year, and were playing each other in week 16, they would want that to be a TNF option, which couldn’t happen if they were the week two and week six TNF teams.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

My guess is the math wouldn't work on your plan. Just trying to figure out who plays the teams in teh designated game with schedules that aren't identicalunless you were gonna make them all division games. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I just wonder if you want to go out and watch the game at a bar/restaurant if they all are going to have Prime and Peacock. 

I think if Detroit was in it would force their hand. But generally they don’t. I went on a Thursday night to a bar last fall and there was no football on. Ended up streaming it on my phone instead of watching whatever garbage was on instead.

This is an interesting thread.

The most notable thing is that there is a large disparity this year between teams who have a lot of rest coming in when compared to their opponents, as reflected by this neat graphic.

image.thumb.png.61fbf64b4f128b3f8d370cc8128ee487.png

The Lions are a +1, which is pretty negligible. More interesting is the 49ers, who I would think may be competition in the NFC. They are playing a lot of games with very little comparative rest, with a very young QB. Not an easy task.

On 5/16/2023 at 1:17 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

This is an interesting thread.

The most notable thing is that there is a large disparity this year between teams who have a lot of rest coming in when compared to their opponents, as reflected by this neat graphic.

image.thumb.png.61fbf64b4f128b3f8d370cc8128ee487.png

The Lions are a +1, which is pretty negligible. More interesting is the 49ers, who I would think may be competition in the NFC. They are playing a lot of games with very little comparative rest, with a very young QB. Not an easy task.

I saw something similar to this last week but it showed the teams from the last 15 or 20 years and 2 of the teams that made the top 20 from that span were the 2011 Lions(i think that was top 5)  and.....22 Lions. The pessimistic in me worries that maybe that played a vital role in the success of both those seasons. 

Edited by RandyMarsh