06/17/2023 2:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins

casimir

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Holy crap that pitch to end the game was one of the nastiest I ever seen. Started off in the middle of the plate only to disappear inside near the end....at 103MPH!! How and the hell do you hit that?

You don't. Guy looks legit. Remember that time Zumaya broke his arm throwing so hard? The human body isn't supposed to be put under such strain.

45 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

You don't. Guy looks legit. Remember that time Zumaya broke his arm throwing so hard? The human body isn't supposed to be put under such strain.

I heard Joel Zumaya broke his forearm helping old ladies across the street and putting out devil's night fires.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

When Skubal, Rodriguez and Manning get healthy, I would rather see Olson over Wentz. If we need either.

Probably an easy money bet that Tiger pitchers are going to get traded, the only question is who. So I think odds are pretty good a Wentz, Faedo, Olson or all of the above might end up being needed.

Would like to see Olson sustain what he has done in the last couple of games for a longer period though.

It'd be nice to get some healthy starters for once in two years (or is it 3?). Both at Detroit but also at Toledo. 

Add Brieske to that group.

Whoever loses out a spot in Detroit is now depth at Toledo... where they should be.

Also... all the starters at full health means that we can finally kick one or two over to the BP. I would start with Faedo & Flores.

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Let's see them all get full health and maintain it before we get too excited.  

So if we end up trading Lorenzen and Rodriguez, or even if not and Rodriguez just opts out, we could easily end up with the 'ALL TJ" starting rotation with Mize, Skubal, Turnbull, Faedo, and Wentz.

• Haha 1

I wasn’t thinking Rodriguez could be traded after his owie, assuming he’d be out the max eight weeks, but optimistic reports have him back in early July barring setbacks, so if he could come back at that point and miraculously maintain his pace, getting something decent for him would be comfortably within the range of outcomes. It’s probably a long shot, but for anyone who’s prone to hoping, there it is.

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

... all the starters at full health means that we can finally kick one or two over to the BP. I would start with Faedo & Flores.

OMHO, perhaps the days of teams SPs (most ALL teams), all being fully healthy at once may be few and far between. Depth this day and age is of utmost importance.

Remember hearing on a national TV game last year, from a former SP, saying every team going forward will need 10 SPs ready to go between MLB/AAA+. It is just the reality.

9 minutes ago, alex said:

OMHO, perhaps the days of teams SPs (most ALL teams), all being fully healthy at once may be few and far between. Depth this day and age is of utmost importance.

Remember hearing on a national TV game last year, from a former SP, saying every team going forward will need 10 SPs ready to go between MLB/AAA+. It is just the reality.

This very well may be true.  And I understand that the game evolves over time.  I just hate what the modern pitching game has become.  I don’t know if this is the best way to put it, and I suppose my opinion might be wrong to an extent, but it just seems like pitching has become more about throwing (harder for sure) than pitching.  More arms trying to throw maximum velocity in a game.  And this, I think but have no proof, is an accelerant of pitching injuries.

The 1984 Tigers used 14 pitchers during the season.  This season, last season, the season before, it seems like they’ll be using close to 14 different starting pitchers each season.  Now, granted, nobody is confusing any of these recent teams’ pitching acumen with the World Series team.  Admittedly that’s a part of the imbalance.  But aside from the starting pitchers, relievers have also lost stamina per game and season over the decades.

The pitch clock and shift ban have helped the game.  I know deadening that ball has been brought up, and I think that would be helpful, too.  But I don’t know how the pitching usage gets walked back.  Maybe it just doesn’t and we simply have what we have unless hitters frequently put the 100 MPH pitches into play enough to force the throwing to revert back to pitching.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

This very well may be true.  And I understand that the game evolves over time.  I just hate what the modern pitching game has become.  I don’t know if this is the best way to put it, and I suppose my opinion might be wrong to an extent, but it just seems like pitching has become more about throwing (harder for sure) than pitching.  More arms trying to throw maximum velocity in a game.  And this, I think but have no proof, is an accelerant of pitching injuries.

The 1984 Tigers used 14 pitchers during the season.  This season, last season, the season before, it seems like they’ll be using close to 14 different starting pitchers each season.  Now, granted, nobody is confusing any of these recent teams’ pitching acumen with the World Series team.  Admittedly that’s a part of the imbalance.  But aside from the starting pitchers, relievers have also lost stamina per game and season over the decades.

The pitch clock and shift ban have helped the game.  I know deadening that ball has been brought up, and I think that would be helpful, too.  But I don’t know how the pitching usage gets walked back.  Maybe it just doesn’t and we simply have what we have unless hitters frequently put the 100 MPH pitches into play enough to force the throwing to revert back to pitching.

IDK, there does seem to be evolution going on at levels we don't see and understand. Maybe the very existence of TJ surgery has changed the mindset of pitchers to where they are more willing to push themselves harder than they might have when they knew that to overstrain your forearm was to end your career. Back in the day, you hurt your arm, you were done, and that probably happened to a lot of guys before they ever got to majors or at least were well known enough that anyone remembered what happened to them. So the guys that were left either had the lucky genes or had found some compromise between performance and health that is different than today's.

47 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Bring back the knuckle ball pitcher. I would have thought there would be many coming forward. It's of speed and "shapie" and most important easy on the arm. I think a pitching staff with one or two knuckleballers would go a long way. It must be hard to do.

Do catchers wear a bigger catchers mitt for knuckle ballers in this day and age.

I seem to remember in the past,when a knuckle baller came in, some catchers went to a bigger mitt.

Baltimore in the 60's or 70's comes to mind.