07/23/2023 12:05 pm EDT San Diego Padres vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

7 minutes ago, Dave Christian said:

I'm thinking that Torkelson, Greene and Carpenter are a decent core to build around.

Vierling, McKinstry and Rogers are also decent pieces for now.

Texted something similar to a friend earlier today:”Greene-Tork-Carp showing good results now. 3 decent bats that should get batter. Rogers ok as a catcher. Pitching coming together. But still leaves around 4 sub-par position players.”

I would probably include Vierling as decent. Really don’t know about McKinstry or Baddoo yet. 

Edited by lordstanley

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Texted something similar to a friend earlier today:”Greene-Tork-Carp showing good results now. 3 decent bats that should get batter. Rogers ok as a catcher. Pitching coming together. But still leaves around 4 sub-par position players.”

I would probably include Vierling as decent. Really don’t know about McKinstry or Baddoo yet. 

I like Badoo but his defense and his arm, not to mention his bat, are a question mark for me.

29 minutes ago, Dave Christian said:

I like Badoo but his defense and his arm, not to mention his bat, are a question mark for me.

Since Jun 1, Akil in a 5 for his last 51 freefall. He does have 7 BB in that stretch but even with that the OBP is only 215. That just doesn't cut it. Whatever he had going in May left the bldg with Elvis.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 hours ago, casimir said:

I wanted them to go after him, too.  I don’t recall hearing one way or another if the Tigers had offered.

No they didn’t. The Asian players prefer the west coast for travel and the time zone allows friends and family to watch live in the mornings Korean and Japanese time. 
 I think flight times from Seattle to Tokyo are only about 8 hours which is why there is a large Japanese population in Seattle  

Good for the Mariners in their pursuit of Ohtani  I think he spends part of his off season there as well  

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

No they didn’t. The Asian players prefer the west coast for travel and the time zone allows friends and family to watch live in the mornings Korean and Japanese time. 
 I think flight times from Seattle to Tokyo are only about 8 hours which is why there is a large Japanese population in Seattle  

Good for the Mariners in their pursuit of Ohtani  I think he spends part of his off season there as well  

That's a very interesting observation.  Hideki Matsui signed with the Yankees but other than him I can't think of a marquee Japanese or Korean player who signed with a team that wasn't West Coast.

3 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's a very interesting observation.  Hideki Matsui signed with the Yankees but other than him I can't think of a marquee Japanese or Korean player who signed with a team that wasn't West Coast.

The Mets $$$ might break the trend with Ohtani but my bet is with Dodgers or Mariners with heavy lean LA since it will be excess of 550 million. 

Irabu, matsui and Tanaka signed with the Yankees,  Dice K and this past offseason Yoshida signed with the Red Sox, Fukudome and Seiya Suzuki with the Cubs, Darvish with the Rangers along with a bunch of lower hyped guys with other teams so it does happen but all things being equal I do agree that they'd prefer to stay on the west coast.

Edited by RandyMarsh

12 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

You can also get all local broadcasts on XM—more expensive, but you get much more.

It always surprises me to remember that SiriusXM is the company and yet there are separately-branded Sirius radios and XM radios depending on the make or even model. Seems silly but I guess there are reasons.

Anyway, it might be different for car XM in that they give you all 30 broadcasts in a night, but car Sirius gives us only 15 a night, that is, only the home feed. The phone app gives us all 30 broadcasts, though.