Training Camp and Preseason Games

TP_Fan

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I haven't really been paying attention to things the past few weeks but what's the deal with mentioning Houston here? Has he not looked good in camp and preseason and they feel last year is a fluke or something?

Insanity, that's what it is.

You don't trade young players with elite pass rushing traits, ever. I could give two hoots if he needs some work against the run. Pass rushers are gold in this league, they need to appreciate his strength instead of trying to make him something he's not (like having him drop in coverage at times etc.)

I did find it odd that they had him in late in preseason games, makes me think that he's on the bubble for some ungodly reason.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Martinez waived so Lions will only carry two QBs assuming the Sudfeld news gets confirmed.

Not a huge surprise, in that they reportedly have every intention of putting Hendon Hooker on the roster when he's healthy.  If Martinez clears waivers, could they keep him on the practice squad or use him as the emergency QB?

58 minutes ago, djhutch said:

Not a huge surprise, in that they reportedly have every intention of putting Hendon Hooker on the roster when he's healthy.  If Martinez clears waivers, could they keep him on the practice squad or use him as the emergency QB?

You can put him on the practice squad, which if the lions want him there he will be there, cause he will clear waivers. But he can’t be the emergency QB because he won’t be on the 53 man roster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

You can put him on the practice squad, which if the lions want him there he will be there, cause he will clear waivers. But he can’t be the emergency QB because he won’t be on the 53 man roster. 

Right. It’s a one-or-the-other scenario. If he clears waivers and goes to the PS, then theoretically at any point they could elevate him to the inactive game day roster from the practice squad if Goff turned an ankle or something in walkthroughs and they wanted a QB3 on standby. But he can’t be both on the PS and the emergency game day QB.

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So the Lions are apparently in the market to get another kicker. So they let Riley Patterson go, then brought him back in, and are now in the market to replace him again?

He can’t kick over 50 yards. It’s disqualifying. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Then why even bring him back and why not draft one? They had to know he can't kick a 50 yarder from when he was here before.

I thought it was a bad choice to bring him back. His leg isn’t getting stronger.  I think the lions have handled the kicker position horribly.  Romo and patternson were a dead heat in camp and they wouldn’t even give Romo a sniff during preseason even though it’s well established Romo can boot it 60 yards with ease.  They kept rolling with a bunter with accuracy issues. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

On another note, since Levi apparently made the roster, do you think he will be starting over Buggs or McNeil at all or have they solidified themselves as the starters at DT for the first few weeks at least?

I don't think there is any way he starts with Buggs or McNeil being available for the better part of the year.  If Levi stays healthy I think there's a chance he might become part of an "equally distributed" 3 guy rotation.