08/09/2023 6:40 pm EDT Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Vierling only played a few games at 3rd for the Phils last season - mostly OF, but he looks pretty decent over there. I'd give him as much time there as possible the rest of the way because if Vierling could stabilize 3b it would be a big get for the Tigers. It allows Keith to fall back to 2B if in the end he can't cut it at 3b. 

Does Keith have the range to play 2B?  Vierling at 3B and Keith at 2B doesn't sounds like great defense.  

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Don't know, only that they've played him there and at 3rd. The question at 3rd is usually the arm - that did in Tork.

I was asking about Keith's range since he is slow.  From what I gather, he doesn't have a position and they were using him at third because he has a strong arm. 

Vierling is pretty athletic, so maybe he'll be OK.  The only thing about him is that it is kind of unusual to be primarily an outfielder and them move to the infield.  Perhaps, his lack of infield play was based on team need rather than ability.  

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was asking about Keith's range since he is slow.  From what I gather, he doesn't have a position and they were using him at third because he has a strong arm. 

Vierling is pretty athletic, so maybe he'll be OK.  The only thing about him is that it is kind of unusual to be primarily an outfielder and them move to the infield.  Perhaps, his lack of infield play was based on team need rather than ability.  

Vierling played about half his games at NotreDame at 3d in 2018 before he was drafted. Since then virtually none at all. Given his lack of time there he'd have to be a natural born glove to move over there now, but you sure couldn't tell by watching because he's looked fine there this week - I'd say better than McK or Maton. I don't know why you would play a guy in the OF if he could play IF, but maybe because they were figuring him initially as a CF and the his speed would be wasted at 3B?

IDK but I really hope they give him a fair shot to see.

Keith said his college coaches never cared about his fielding or asked him to work on it and he almost felt cheated when he found out it was going to matter as a pro big time. He has supposedly dedicated himself to working on his quickness, IIRC somewhere he said he lost some weight etc.  I suppose if he's never worked at it that leaves reasonable possibility of upside improvement.

Keith has played 16 games at 2B and 56 at 3B so far this season. He's only started one game at 2b this month so maybe that means he's holding his own at 3b.

• Like 1

Having a bit of post-vacation blues here.  Glad we won.  It feels like 2021 again: a little bit of hope for the future.  Still worried that we aren't accumulating talent fast enough to make any of this sustainable.   Having the obvious example of Michigan and the [checks notes...stops....checks notes again] Lions to observe what apparent sustained good team construction looks like causes a bit of melancholy.

24 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Yes I wish they’d just keep vierling there. He’s the best lead off hitter we have right now. 

Baddoo is becoming expert at the Willi Castro tease - will he or won't he ever be the player he shows you once in a while?

TBF, I guess he's still short of 1000 MLB PAs, it just seems like he's been around forever.

Edited by gehringer_2

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Baddoo is becoming expert at the Willi Castro tease - will he or won't he ever be the player he shows you once in a while?

TBF, I guess he's still short of 1000 MLB PAs, it just seems like he's been around forever.

Not sure it would matter, but you have to wonder if the Rule 5 requirements of staying on a major league roster all season, actually stunt their development?  

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Not sure it would matter, but you have to wonder if the Rule 5 requirements of staying on a major league roster all season, actually stunt their development?  

Fair point. Maybe it's a case where the rule doesn't really do what it was intended to do. The original idea was probably more to help guys who were major league ready get a chance to get out of an org where they were blocked, but in practice its operates more as a potential prospect cherry picking exercise on teams with global roster constraints unrelated to the particular players being left unprotected. When a team has a MLB ready minor leaguer that's blocked, they are still going to keep him as insurance or as trade capital and expose some guy so unready other teams will pass. And there we are.

Edited by gehringer_2