Week Six: Detroit Lions (4-1) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-1)

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Well, ya know... if, uh... you're every looking for someone to give them too...

image.jpeg.a39f6c252de8412bb58d5f20c0099361.jpeg

It’s funny, two years ago I couldn’t find people to go with me to the worst of the worst games. People were bailing last minute to some, I went by myself to one or two.

This year, I’ve been approached by multiple people, some of whom I barely know let alone would go to a game with, like “hey we should go to a game sometime!” or “if you’re ever selling let me know!”

To which I say,

IMG_6251.gif.81458847241be42cc5abb8d7a9b40999.gif

• Haha 2

Winners...they achieved the goal of a Super Bowl...but does their result impact ours?  We have the ideal QB for our offense and we got two 1sts.  After a few years of performance...Goff for Stafford looks like a pretty fair swap even up.  That we got two extra 1sts out of the deal is a huge windfall for us.  I don't really care what LA did  I look at the impact for us...and the impact for us has been pretty significant

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

It's hard not to rely on history. The Chiefs have a proven track record and it's easy to dismiss a week one game without two of their star players. I can't fault anyone for ranking the Chiefs ahead of the Lions right now. You have five teams at 5-1... Two of them were in the SB last year, another was in the NFC Championship game. Of the remaining two one has a super high powered offense that's putting up 37+ pts per game on average and probably would have done better last year if it weren't for QB injury issues.

The last team had a great finish to last year and has looked good, but (playing devil's advocate here):
Game 1: Beat a great team missing two star players
Game 2: Lost to the Seahawks
Game 3: Beat the 3-3 Falcons
Game 4: Beat the 2-3 Packers
Game 5: Beat the 0-6 Panthers
Game 6: Beat the 3-2 Bucs

Other than the first game there's no big statement wins and we all know that that game has that asterisk on it, so...

2 of those wins are against current division leaders, on the road. This Bucs win was a statement. They were 3-1 off a bye with an awesome defense and will likely win that division.  Lions were without some key players and still won by 2 scores.  

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Winners...they achieved the goal of a Super Bowl...but does their result impact ours?  We have the ideal QB for our offense and we got two 1sts.  After a few years of performance...Goff for Stafford looks like a pretty fair swap even up.  That we got two extra 1sts out of the deal is a huge windfall for us.  I don't really care what LA did  I look at the impact for us...and the impact for us has been pretty significant

Also its pretty lazy to just assume the Rams don't win that SB even if they had Goff. Yeah Staff played better than Goff that year but Goff was playing as well as any qb in football at the end of that season and the Rams had about as easy of playoff road as you could get in that years playoffs. 

They either played vastly inferior teams(by playoff standards) or heavily injured teams, there's really no reason that a Goff led Rams team couldn't have beaten those teams as well. 

42 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Also its pretty lazy to just assume the Rams don't win that SB even if they had Goff. Yeah Staff played better than Goff that year but Goff was playing as well as any qb in football at the end of that season and the Rams had about as easy of playoff road as you could get in that years playoffs. 

They either played vastly inferior teams(by playoff standards) or heavily injured teams, there's really no reason that a Goff led Rams team couldn't have beaten those teams as well. 

goff was terrible for the rams and i say its pretty unlikely they win the super bowl with him that year.

both teams are "winners" in that trade.  lions kicked off a rebuild and the rams won a super bowl.  goff has been great but the jury is still out on jamo and gibbs/laporta picks they got from the rams.

49 minutes ago, buddha said:

goff was terrible for the rams and i say its pretty unlikely they win the super bowl with him that year.

both teams are "winners" in that trade.  lions kicked off a rebuild and the rams won a super bowl.  goff has been great but the jury is still out on jamo and gibbs/laporta picks they got from the rams.

Jury is still out on LaPorta? 

14 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Yes. It's simply too early to say. I mean around this time last year we were all pretty much thinking Rodrigo was the next great Lions linebacker, didn't we?

These are not even comparable players  LaPorta case is closed.  You’re all way to pessimistic.  

28 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Yes. It's simply too early to say. I mean around this time last year we were all pretty much thinking Rodrigo was the next great Lions linebacker, didn't we?

It's the talent level at TE has improved. Johnson likes using his tight end split out and involved in the pass play. LaPorta is the real deal. Seems like a strong kid too.

I wouldn't say "case closed" on LaPorta, but I do think it's far more likely than not he is a sustainable fixture to the offense than that he busts. It's much more common for a rookie skill position player to look mediocre at the outset and improve as time goes on than for one to look like the next great player at his position and not pan out.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn't say "case closed" on LaPorta, but I do think it's far more likely than not he is a sustainable fixture to the offense than that he busts. It's much more common for a rookie skill position player to look mediocre at the outset and improve as time goes on than for one to look like the next great player at his position and not pan out.

I totally agree... but I want to be wary and reluctant to label Jamo a bust, for example, just because he hasn't been fantastic in the games he's been in... or Gibbs for that matter. So if I'm holding off throwing a bust label based on a small sample size, then I'm also going to hold off throwing a "boom" label on a guy who's looked very good but on a small sample size.

19 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I totally agree... but I want to be wary and reluctant to label Jamo a bust, for example, just because he hasn't been fantastic in the games he's been in... or Gibbs for that matter. So if I'm holding off throwing a bust label based on a small sample size, then I'm also going to hold off throwing a "boom" label on a guy who's looked very good but on a small sample size.

I agree. I think that’s fair.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, for later round draft choices. But those early picks should be contributing early and steadily. Many early round picks have much more success. Luckily, the 1st round picks are here for 5 years. LaPorta is contributing right now and all indications is he'll get better. At least, the way he's been used so far. He quickly became a fan favorite. 

10 hours ago, number20 said:

Jesus. How much coke did Stephen A snort before doing this

Unfortunately all of this sports coverage on these network shows has become a series of 'performances', posturing in front of the big screen, and yelling. Have you ever seen Orlovsky and Ryan Clark breakdown plays? It's painful.

For me watchable only in small doses.

Edited by KnoxP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KnoxP said:

Unfortunately all of this sports coverage on these network shows has become a series of 'performances', posturing in front of the big screen, and yelling. Have you ever seen Orlovsky and Ryan Clark breakdown plays? It's painful.

For me watchable only in small doses.

I miss Tom Jackson. He could even make Chris Berman watchable!

Edited by Jason_R

16 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

These are not even comparable players  LaPorta case is closed.  You’re all way to pessimistic.  

laporta drops two passes and you'll be calling him a bust in the gane thread.

or you'll just blame ben johnson for not telling him to catch it.

16 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I get what you're saying but LaPorta in his first 6 games is in a completely different stratosphere than Rodrigo.

I do find it funny (ironic perhaps?) that TP is calling others pessimistic though. It would be like Aaron Rodgers calling somebody else a narcissist. 

Edited by NYLion

NFL Network has LaPorta as its top ranked TE: https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-tight-ends-entering-week-6-of-2023-nfl-season-rookie-at-no-1-travis-kelce

LaPorta is 19 yards behind Kelce, leads all TEs with 8 receptions over 20 yards, and is tied for the league lead in receiving TDs for a TE with 3.

Anyone who says he is not the real deal is just trying to get a rise out of you. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

NFL Network has LaPorta as its top ranked TE: https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-tight-ends-entering-week-6-of-2023-nfl-season-rookie-at-no-1-travis-kelce

LaPorta is 19 yards behind Kelce, leads all TEs with 8 receptions over 20 yards, and is tied for the league lead in receiving TDs for a TE with 3.

Anyone who says he is not the real deal is just trying to get a rise out of you. 

All the signs point to LaPorta being an absolute stud. I love that he's on the Lions and I think he will be a great player for us. I'm just saying that I'm not (quite) ready to pencil him in as a surefire, multiseason pro-bowl caliber player based on just 6 games.

If you want to use that small of a sample size to judge a player, then you need to label Jameson Williams a bust right now. In 8 games Jamo has 5 catches for less than 100 yards. Now, I'm certainly worried about Jamo and if he'll eventually develop, but it's WAY too soon to call him a bust.

In the same way I certainly am thrilled with LaPorta's production and I think he'll continue to be (at least) a good player, but it's too soon to call him a boom.

5 hours ago, RedRamage said:

All the signs point to LaPorta being an absolute stud. I love that he's on the Lions and I think he will be a great player for us. I'm just saying that I'm not (quite) ready to pencil him in as a surefire, multiseason pro-bowl caliber player based on just 6 games.

If you want to use that small of a sample size to judge a player, then you need to label Jameson Williams a bust right now. In 8 games Jamo has 5 catches for less than 100 yards. Now, I'm certainly worried about Jamo and if he'll eventually develop, but it's WAY too soon to call him a bust.

In the same way I certainly am thrilled with LaPorta's production and I think he'll continue to be (at least) a good player, but it's too soon to call him a boom.

You absolutely do not need to label JaMo a bust if you conclude LaPorta is the real deal.  JaMo has played 2 meaningful games and in one of them he made an all pro adjustment to make the the biggest play of the game.

Be comfortable in this fact: LaPorta is case closed…he is him at TE.

JaMo, that dude is someone I’m happy we have.