Trade Deadline

number20

As we stand here today, there are not a lot of obvious holes on this team. The defensive backfield seems like it should be one with the absence of CJGJ and now Moseley, but Jerry Jacobs and Will Harris are playing outside of their minds after being forced into action. You can't complain with what they're bringing to the table. Defensive tackle was expected to be a weakness on this team, but it's turned into a strength with the #1 rush defense in the league. Wide receiver seemed to be possibly lacking in depth too, but they just put up 42 points while missing their WR1 and RB2.

I'm sure Holmes will be active and make a move if there is a smart one out there to make us better, but he's not going to mortgage the future for it. We aren't some old team with a narrow window.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

As we stand here today, there are not a lot of obvious holes on this team. The defensive backfield seems like it should be one with the absence of CJGJ and now Moseley, but Jerry Jacobs and Will Harris are playing outside of their minds after being forced into action. You can't complain with what they're bringing to the table. Defensive tackle was expected to be a weakness on this team, but it's turned into a strength with the #1 rush defense in the league. Wide receiver seemed to be possibly lacking in depth too, but they just put up 42 points while missing their WR1 and RB2.

I'm sure Holmes will be active and make a move if there is a smart one out there to make us better, but he's not going to mortgage the future for it. We aren't some old team with a narrow window.

True, Jacobs and Harris have played out of their minds... against Desmond Ridder, Jordan Love, and Bryce Young. I don't know if their secondary situation is sustainable. They could use a depth piece at corner

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, number20 said:

True, Jacobs and Harris have played out of their minds... against Desmond Ridder, Jordan Love, and Bryce Young. I don't know if their secondary situation is sustainable. They could use a depth piece at corner

I'm all for depth...our DL/Hutch are really helping the DB's by getting pressures up front.

Ideally I'd call Denver and see what they want for Surtain. I'd be willing to give up a 24 first for him in a heartbeat, yeah he's due for an extension in a couple years but it's not like you can't have any high dollar players in this league. You could build a defense around him and Hutch being the expensive players while sprinkling younger more affordable players to compliment them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Big time buyers. We are finally a team where one player can make a huge difference and put us over the top. There are three main needs I see this team having, a downfield threat at WR (which will hopefully be filled by an emerging Jamo), a pass rusher to line up opposite Hutch, and another CB to start opposite Sutton now that Mosley is gone for the season.

If I can live in fantasy land I'd love to get either Brian Burns away from the Panthers or Chase Young from the Commanders. I think the Panthers need draft capital the the worst way given that they traded all of it away for the rights to draft Bryce Young. They rejected a lucrative offer last year from the Rams to get Brian Burns, but that was before they mortgaged their future to draft Young. I'd offer a 2nd and 4th for Burns and would be willing to go as high as our 1st next year to get Burns. Given Chase Young's injury history and inability to play a full season, I wouldn't offer a 1st for him at this point in time.

One other player I'd be interested in, assuming his hamstring is ok, is Cardinals Safety Budda Baker. The Cardinals are a dumpster fire and need to rebuild for next year. Baker could step in and play the CJGJ role in our secondary. I don't know what would be fair value for Baker, but I would guess a 2nd or 3rd + late round pick.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ideally I'd call Denver and see what they want for Surtain. I'd be willing to give up a 24 first for him in a heartbeat, yeah he's due for an extension in a couple years but it's not like you can't have any high dollar players in this league. You could build a defense around him and Hutch being the expensive players while sprinkling younger more affordable players to compliment them.

The Lions would have a parade down Michigan Ave if they landed that guy. He'll likely cost more than just a 1st though (I'm pretty sure Denver won't give him up). Holmes seems to be a build thru the draft guy, and he's pretty good at it. I'd hate to see the Lions give up draft capital.

Then again, it's not like Brad Holmes doesn't make big trades 😄

I wonder if Suh would come back on a 1 year deal

Edited by number20

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Big time buyers. We are finally a team where one player can make a huge difference and put us over the top. There are three main needs I see this team having, a downfield threat at WR (which will hopefully be filled by an emerging Jamo), a pass rusher to line up opposite Hutch, and another CB to start opposite Sutton now that Mosley is gone for the season.

If I can live in fantasy land I'd love to get either Brian Burns away from the Panthers or Chase Young from the Commanders. I think the Panthers need draft capital the the worst way given that they traded all of it away for the rights to draft Bryce Young. They rejected a lucrative offer last year from the Rams to get Brian Burns, but that was before they mortgaged their future to draft Young. I'd offer a 2nd and 4th for Burns and would be willing to go as high as our 1st next year to get Burns. Given Chase Young's injury history and inability to play a full season, I wouldn't offer a 1st for him at this point in time.

One other player I'd be interested in, assuming his hamstring is ok, is Cardinals Safety Budda Baker. The Cardinals are a dumpster fire and need to rebuild for next year. Baker could step in and play the CJGJ role in our secondary. I don't know what would be fair value for Baker, but I would guess a 2nd or 3rd + late round pick.

I suppose this would all depend on whether you think this year is a 'win now' window, or if the Lions should just continue focusing on building for long term by holding onto their draft picks and using their cap money to retain their star players - rather than spending $$$

There are degrees to everything. The Lions are in “win now” mode in the sense that their realistic goal this season is to win the Super Bowl.

But they’re not in “win now or the window is closed” mode like the Rams in 2021.

They’re still a very young team, and it would be foolish to mortgage the future to make one run this season. They’re set up right now to have sustained success for the next 5+ years, longer if Holmes keeps drafting the way he is.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

... I think the Panthers need draft capital the the worst way given that they traded all of it away for the rights to draft Bryce Young. They rejected a lucrative offer last year from the Rams to get Brian Burns, but that was before they mortgaged their future to draft Young...

They're still not going to trade away young talent.

It's just not reality, at all. It might work in your fantasy world request, but not real life. They're trying to build a (young) team around Bryce, which means dump unnecessary veterans... not young talent.

Similar to free agency, I doubt the Lions acquire any of the “flashy” players who might move - Chase Young, Pat Surtain, or Mike Evans. I don’t think Holmes will have interest in outbidding teams for a tool to add to what is already a well oiled machine.

I think a role player or depth is a much more likely addition. Zach Ertz could be a cheap veteran addition to the offense for a playoff run behind LaPorta. Maybe a kicker if the Panthers will move on from Eddy Pineiro, the Colts from Matt Gay, or the Raiders from Daniel Carlson for cheap.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Similar to free agency, I doubt the Lions acquire any of the “flashy” players who might move - Chase Young, Pat Surtain, or Mike Evans. I don’t think Holmes will have interest in outbidding teams for a tool to add to what is already a well oiled machine.

I think a role player or depth is a much more likely addition. Zach Ertz could be a cheap veteran addition to the offense for a playoff run behind LaPorta. Maybe a kicker if the Panthers will move on from Eddy Pineiro, the Colts from Matt Gay, or the Raiders from Daniel Carlson for cheap.

Blah!!! Adding a depth piece does nothing for me and only marginally improves this team.

I know it isn't Holmes' modus to go out and make a splashy move or take on a big contract. However, I wonder if his philosophy would be malleable in this situation given how close we are to being an elite team. I would hope so. He has to recognize the impact that a Young, Burns, Baker, Surtain type of player could have on this team, assuming they fit the scheme and locker room culture. I think we should be out make a big move, for a starting caliber player at the deadline at CB, S, DE, or maybe WR if they simply don't trust Jamo.

I can see the appeal of a 'win now' spending spree, and it's hard to argue. For me, I never thought this was The Year to begin with. I wouldn't want to mortgage the future on a team that I still think has a ways to go. I'd love for Holmes to just stay the course, keep loading young talent pieces through the draft, keep building it up, and design this thing to dominate long term. We still need a superstud interior DT, a 2nd game wrecking DE, a shutdown corner... and that would only bring us even with the Eagles. And the Eagles are not the 49ers - that team is stacked