Trade Deadline

number20

21 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I woulda done that trade. Oh well.

I don't know if I would have done that deal... I guess it depends on if Sweat seemed interested in an extension. I'd hate to pick up a high(ish) pick for half a season. On the other hand if it was a 2nd round pick... we know our history of those.

I have a Bears fan co-worker (he's native from Chicago). He mentioned that the scuttlebutt is that the Bears are looking trying to acquire players on the last year of their deal and use the remainder of this season to sign them to longer term deal because they have a lot of cap space going into 2024.

I mean, yeah, this gives them a certain period of time to exclusively negotiate. But if, as a bad team, you were going to throw enough money at the player to lure them to Chicago anyway, why not do that in the off season? Why give up draft capital to do it now?

7 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't know if I would have done that deal... I guess it depends on if Sweat seemed interested in an extension. I'd hate to pick up a high(ish) pick for half a season. On the other hand if it was a 2nd round pick... we know our history of those.

Like LaPorta and Branch?

11 minutes ago, NYLion said:

You would have traded a 1st for Sweat?

Montez Sweat was traded for a 1st round pick? I would have considered trading our 1st for Sweat if we knew we could sign him here long-term. Any DE we draft at the back end of the 1st round we would hope would be as good as Sweat. So I wouldn't have been completely opposed to doing a back end 1st round pick for Sweat. But Chicago didn't give up a 1st, they gave up a 2nd. So for us that would either mean giving up our back end 1st round pick or possibly a 2nd + a pick.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Montez Sweat was traded for a 1st round pick?

The Bears traded what will be very high 2nd for him so how else do you expect the Lions to beat that offer? I guess they could have offered a 2nd+later of the two 3rds, would you have done that?

2 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Bears traded what will be very high 2nd for him so how else do you expect the Lions to beat that offer? I guess they could have offered a 2nd+later of the two 3rds, would you have done that?

A few things here. First, as I said previously in this thread, I don't think Holmes is going to make a move that involves giving up high/higher end draft capital (a 1st or a 2nd). I think he likes having picks that he can play with come draft time. I think, given that we are in a win-now mode, that is partially a mistake, and we should look to make a move now. Montez Sweat would have been the perfect move as far as need, scheme fit, and cost it require to trade for him.

Now, a question for you. Our 1st round pick, if we end up winning the division and win a playoff game, is likely to be around pick 25 or later. Assuming we drafted a defensive player with our 1st round pick, at 25 or later, would you expect that player to better than, worse than, or about the same as Montez Sweat is now? Sweat is on pace for a double-digit sack season with 6.5 sacks already. Plus he has 32 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, and 2 forced fumbles. He also just turned 27, so you would assume he has another 4-5 good years to give in his career.

I would expect that player we draft at pick 25 or later to be about the same caliber player or maybe, slightly worse, than Sweat is now. So I would trade a back end 1st for Sweat to top what the Bears did, assuming we could get him under team control for the next 4-5 seasons. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A few things here. First, as I said previously in this thread, I don't think Holmes is going to make a move that involves giving up high/higher end draft capital (a 1st or a 2nd). I think he likes having picks that he can play with come draft time. I think, given that we are in a win-now mode, that is partially a mistake, and we should look to make a move now. Montez Sweat would have been the perfect move as far as need, scheme fit, and cost it require to trade for him.

Now, a question for you. Our 1st round pick, if we end up winning the division and win a playoff game, is likely to be around pick 25 or later. Assuming we drafted a defensive player with our 1st round pick, at 25 or later, would you expect that player to better than, worse than, or about the same as Montez Sweat is now? Sweat is on pace for a double-digit sack season with 6.5 sacks already. Plus he has 32 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, and 2 forced fumbles. He also just turned 27, so you would assume he has another 4-5 good years to give in his career.

I would expect that player we draft at pick 25 or later to be about the same caliber player or maybe, slightly worse, than Sweat is now. So I would trade a back end 1st for Sweat to top what the Bears did, assuming we could get him under team control for the next 4-5 seasons. 

I'm a fan of Sweat, I brought him up in the GDT as a realistic target but that's when I thought it would cost a 3rd. Seeing that the Bears gave up what is almost a 1st for him, I realized how unrealistic it was for the Lions. It also illustrates my other fear that this is a sellers market because there are so few sellers and plenty of buyers. Little did I know, however, that the Bears would be one of the buyers.

It's not just about whether the draft pick turns out to be as good as Sweat. It's also about cap management. You're giving up 5 years of cheap contract high upside for a 28 year old player that's going to command big money when the Lions have a lot of key guys due for enormous raises in the next 2-3 years starting this offseason with Jonah and that's assuming that you get Sweat locked up as he could just as easily test the market. I just think a 1st, even a late one, would have been too rich. I'm aiming higher and for a player with term if I'm parting with a 1st.

Ken Holland, it's the whole we like our team, we have a great culture approach. I only kid. I'm just having a little fun. I still love Brad Holmes and believe in him very much. I still like the direction of this franchise and what the front office is doing. I just get a bit frustrated when all the other players of the NFC are making moves and we aren't keeping up with them when our window is open to win now and make a Super Bowl.

fotor-ai-2023103114514.jpg

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad