Trade Deadline

number20

19 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah, good job buddha!

Might be competition for Jamo this year but I think it's eventually Josh Reynolds that loses out.

All depends on Jamo and his learning curve (which has admittedly been quite long so far...)

Reynolds has been their #2 guy this season, he's not losing out to anybody. This is a Marvin Jones replacement sprinkled in with a little putting Jamo on notice.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Reynolds has been their #2 guy this season, he's not losing out to anybody. This is a Marvin Jones replacement sprinkled in with a little putting Jamo on notice.

No...

DPJ is going to become the #2. Sort of an Amon-Ra-lite.

Josh's highest targets was 80 with the Rams in 2020. 618 yards. His next highest is 59 last year with the Lions, 479 yards; and his numbers look like he'll hit roughly 60 targets this year, but might bust through his highest yardage total as he has 397 so far this year. He's 28 y.o. He's used primarily as a deep threat.

DPJ had 96 targets last year and 839 yards. He's 24 y.o. He's used inside/ outside/ deep threat/ short/ intermediate/ tough catches.

How exactly is Josh going to be the #2. His familiarity with Goff?

Oh wait... he's NOT going to be the #2. Josh will be the #3 deep guy as he's always been with Goff. Not an every-type of catch in the book guy like DPJ.

When Jamo gets up to speed; he will first pressure Josh for playing time at the #3 deep threat guy. He should be able to grow into more than that... but he'll first need to beat out Josh with reliability... and he's not there yet.

Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Raymond got drilled on a few returns this week...DPJ adds depth to the return game as well

43 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

No...

DPJ is going to become the #2. Sort of an Amon-Ra-lite.

Josh's highest targets was 80 with the Rams in 2020. 618 yards. His next highest is 59 last year with the Lions, 479 yards; and his numbers look like he'll hit roughly 60 targets this year, but might bust through his highest yardage total as he has 397 so far this year. He's 28 y.o. He's used primarily as a deep threat.

DPJ had 96 targets last year and 839 yards. He's 24 y.o. He's used inside/ outside/ deep threat/ short/ intermediate/ tough catches.

How exactly is Josh going to be the #2. His familiarity with Goff?

Oh wait... he's NOT going to be the #2. Josh will be the #3 deep guy as he's always been with Goff. Not an every-type of catch in the book guy like DPJ.

When Jamo gets up to speed; he will first pressure Josh for playing time at the #3 deep threat guy. He should be able to grow into more than that... but he'll first need to beat out Josh with reliability... and he's not there yet.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't know what you're arguing. Reynolds has been the #2 target this season so far. Who do you think has been? Raymond? Jones? Jamo? I'm just talking receivers, not including LaPorta.

My general point is that Reynolds isn't going to lose out to anybody. He'll still be a key part of the offense this season even with Peoples-Jones. Peoples-Jones will play the Marvin Jones role or at least the one they envisioned for Jones, the contested catch guy.

19 hours ago, buddha said:

i have heard scuttlebutt on young that he's a selfish player and just looks for sacks instead of following the plan.  that's sports radio talk so i have no idea if its true. 

I think that's a valid point. Obviously it's speculation but *IF* Young is known for this, I think that would be something the coaching staff wants to avoid. Remember Dan Campbell's quote about Jamo coming back and Campbell said something to the effect that he wants to see that Jamo know what he's supposed to do and that he's where he's supposed to be... something like that.

17 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You can still like Holmes and feel good about his regime and the direction of this franchise whilst criticizing individual things he does or doesn't do. I still like Holmes very much but feel disappointed by our inaction today. It feels like a very smartest guy in the room mentality.

I totally agree on the part in Bold. I totally disagree on the part in italics. Obviously we're speculating but I don't get the vibe that he necessarily thinks he's smarter than everyone else. That mentality (at least to me) is reactionary: "Oh, everyone things we should do A? Well, I'm going to do B!" where as I get the feeling that Holmes just makes his decision based on what he thinks and doesn't care if everyone else like it's or not.

Now, you could argue that if everyone else is saying: "Don't go in the water, there's a hungry alligator there" then maybe you should at least investigate a bit before going swimming, but I don't see Holmes has deliberately going against the grain to show how smart he is.

40 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't know what you're arguing. Reynolds has been the #2 target this season so far. Who do you think has been? Raymond? Jones? Jamo? I'm just talking receivers, not including LaPorta.

My general point is that Reynolds isn't going to lose out to anybody. He'll still be a key part of the offense this season even with Peoples-Jones. Peoples-Jones will play the Marvin Jones role or at least the one they envisioned for Jones, the contested catch guy.

You are not correct.

But...

Let's just see what happens on the field. And take it from there...

13 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I totally agree on the part in Bold. I totally disagree on the part in italics. Obviously we're speculating but I don't get the vibe that he necessarily thinks he's smarter than everyone else. That mentality (at least to me) is reactionary: "Oh, everyone things we should do A? Well, I'm going to do B!" where as I get the feeling that Holmes just makes his decision based on what he thinks and doesn't care if everyone else like it's or not.

Now, you could argue that if everyone else is saying: "Don't go in the water, there's a hungry alligator there" then maybe you should at least investigate a bit before going swimming, but I don't see Holmes has deliberately going against the grain to show how smart he is.

Thank you for agreeing with the bold part first off, haha.

I have nothing to back this claim up other than Campbell and Holmes discussions about scheme fit, culture fit, and the right price prior to the deadline closing out. I think it's smartest guy in the room in that they are looking for flaws where others are just betting on the talent of the player. I think John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan, two individuals who have made the Super Bowl together as a GM/Coach duo, looked at Chase Young and saw raw talent that they could work with. I think Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell looked at Chase Young and almost looked for reasons not to acquire him. Attitude, injuries, scheme fit, whatever, and decided they didn't want the guy. Chase Young has so much raw and natural talent that I think you go grab the guy and find a way to make him fit what you're doing. If we were talking a 1st round pick, that would be a different story. But for a 3rd rounder, that you will likely get back as a comp pick if he doesn't get resigned, I think you take that gamble all day everyday.

FYI, Lynch and Shanahan made the Super Bowl in year 3 of their rebuild, so no reason we can't make it this year given where the NFC is at right now.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

He likely passed on Young because he didn't fit the culture requirement. Young is from that Carter school of lazy tendencies so I doubt he was even a consideration for Holmes/Campbell.

Personally, I think they need to look outside their bubble sometimes and take on talent even if they aren't the best personality fit and work with the player to get the most out of him. I know that sacks isn't the end all be all but Young would be the Lions leading sack getter, a 3rd rounder would have been a small price to pay for talent like that. Maybe they are banking on Houston coming back but there's no guarantee that he gets up to speed coming off the injury.

I agree with this. A 3rd round pick is a small price to pay for someone with the upside of Chase Young. We're also a team that needs help getting after the QBs and when healthy, that is what Young specializes in doing. He's the type of dynamic talent that would have prevent Hutch from getting double teamed had we brought him in. From a culture fit, I'm not there in the Commanders locker room or on the practice field, so I have no clue how he would have actually translated to ours. However, I think we have a strong, well established culture and locker room presence that they could have absorbed Young into it. Maybe I am wrong there though. It's not like we were asking them to acquire Antonio Brown, Aldon Smith, or Vontez Burfict here. Oh well, it is what it is. The season will carry on and I hope San Francisco doesn't make the Super Bowl. 🙂 

35 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

You're trying to "default" Reynolds into the #2 from the lack of a real #2.

I'm not giving you an answer on past history.

I'm telling you what's going to happen from now until the end of the season.

I'm not talking about going forward because I can't predict that.

My general point is that Reynolds isn't being replaced by anybody because he WAS the #2 and will still be a key member of the offense going forward. I'm not even saying that he's a real #2 but he was the #2 on this team this season pretty much by default but also because he's put up pretty solid numbers as well and has been their big play guy for the clutch catches along with Amon Ra of course.

You still haven't told me who was the #2 receiver on the Lions. We keep going in circles and still haven't told me who has been the #2 for the Lions. IF he's the #3, who has been ahead of him besides ASRB? I'm talking receivers, not the star rookie TE.

Edited by NYLion

Just now, NYLion said:

You still haven't told me who was the #2 receiver on the Lions. We keep going in circles and still haven't told me who has been the #2 for the Lions. IF he's the #3, who has been ahead of him besides ASRB?

the #2 "receiver" is sam laporta.  lol.

reynolds is your outside guy, st brown in the slot.  dpj will split with reynolds, i assume?

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

You still haven't told me who was the #2 receiver on the Lions. We keep going in circles and still haven't told me who has been the #2 for the Lions. IF he's the #3, who has been ahead of him besides ASRB? I'm talking receivers, not the star rookie TE.

You're living in the past dude.

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I think that's a valid point. Obviously it's speculation but *IF* Young is known for this, I think that would be something the coaching staff wants to avoid. Remember Dan Campbell's quote about Jamo coming back and Campbell said something to the effect that he wants to see that Jamo know what he's supposed to do and that he's where he's supposed to be... something like that.

Yes, I saw a report citing “multiple sources” in WFT expressing frustration with Young’s selfishness. Remember, MCDC fired AP for not adhering to the game plan. And he hammered the players for freelancing against Baltimore. They were not giving up assets for a selfish guy that would take a roster spot from someone they’ve been riding with from the beginning. 

52 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

You're living in the past dude.

I'm not haha. You said I'm wrong that Reynolds was the Lions #2, that he was the #3 and I asked you multiple times who was the #2 then and still nothing.

I'm now aware that I'm not going to get an answer and an explanation as to why I was wrong so I'll leave it at that.

My general point is that Reynolds isn't getting displaced by Peoples-Jones. It'll simply be a shared workload. They're probably hoping that DPS will bring what Marvin couldn't.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

There is no 1,2 or 3 wide receiver, there are roles in an offense based on the types of routes generally run. Jamo is a Y, Reynolds is a Y. Chark was an ideal X. DPJ will probably fill the X role, which has been sorely lacking.