Trade Deadline

number20

Crosby, Surtain and Chase Young are definitely 3 guys I would look at heavily. I wouldn't want to overpay since you're gonna have to likely give them new contracts pretty soon but Id certainly be willing to give up some valuable picks for them, particularly the first two. 

Also I wouldn't view it has giving up on the future if we did so since all of them would be around and likely producing at a high level for the foreseeable future. 

11 hours ago, romad1 said:

Consider the impact of the draft class we just had.  I want this GM to have as many picks as possible. 

Just to play the contrarian here...

Gibbs: limited use
Campbell: limited use
LaPorta: Homerun
Branch: Homerun
Hooker: Injured, but we knew that.
Martin: Has he even played?
Sorsdal: Filled in
Green: Practice squad guy

Obviously 5 games into their first year is WAY to early to judge players, but of the top 4 picks, two have been wild successes, but 2 have also been on the verge of being busts imho. Gibbs and Campbell have NOT provided first round level of performance so far

If we're going to list LaPorta and Branch as success stories based on 5 games, then I think we also need to label Gibbs and Campbell as failures (or at least disappointments) based on those same 5 games and where they were taken.

For the record: I do believe that Gibbs and Campbell will be successful players. Maybe not 1st round level success, maybe they will be. I'm CERTAINLY not trying to label them as busts right now. I'm just trying to temper things a bit. LaPorta and Branch have been wildly successful, but we don't know if they will stay this successful for the rest of their careers, or even the rest of the season. If we're JUST going to judge based on 5 games (which is fair, that's all we have to judge so far), then we also need to judge the other picks the same way.

14 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Just to play the contrarian here...

Gibbs: limited use
Campbell: limited use
LaPorta: Homerun
Branch: Homerun
Hooker: Injured, but we knew that.
Martin: Has he even played?
Sorsdal: Filled in
Green: Practice squad guy

Obviously 5 games into their first year is WAY to early to judge players, but of the top 4 picks, two have been wild successes, but 2 have also been on the verge of being busts imho. Gibbs and Campbell have NOT provided first round level of performance so far

If we're going to list LaPorta and Branch as success stories based on 5 games, then I think we also need to label Gibbs and Campbell as failures (or at least disappointments) based on those same 5 games and where they were taken.

For the record: I do believe that Gibbs and Campbell will be successful players. Maybe not 1st round level success, maybe they will be. I'm CERTAINLY not trying to label them as busts right now. I'm just trying to temper things a bit. LaPorta and Branch have been wildly successful, but we don't know if they will stay this successful for the rest of their careers, or even the rest of the season. If we're JUST going to judge based on 5 games (which is fair, that's all we have to judge so far), then we also need to judge the other picks the same way.

I appreciate the fine print. 

My point about the draft picks.  That was a damn good haul because he had a lot of bullets.   

Meanwhile in the Matt Millen era it was the scene in Predator where Bill Duke shoots up the jungle with the mini-gun. 

The evidence is that Brad Holmes knows the trade game (Stafford for Goff and a billion picks).  Perhaps he can also get trade deadline talent with impact. 

The injury rate in pro-football makes all these guys commodities with the exception of QBs. 

• Like 1

Absolutely buyers. You only get so many chances at a Superbowl run so take full advantage of it. I don't think they should sell the farm or anything like that but 3rd-5th round picks should be on the table to bring in solid players. 

If they want to shoot for the moon, and I doubt he's available, Maxx Crosby is a name that highly interests me. Gamewrecker in the trenches, still young and locked up long term, Michigan guy, definitely has that Detroit/Dan Campbell mentality. The cost would be crazy but if they go that route of big **** swinging move, he's the guy I'd shoot for.

They'd have arguably the best offensive and defensive line in the league if they made that move, add in a top 5-8 QB which is what Goff is and you have instant SB contender.

Edited by NYLion
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Blah!!! Adding a depth piece does nothing for me and only marginally improves this team.

I know it isn't Holmes' modus to go out and make a splashy move or take on a big contract. However, I wonder if his philosophy would be malleable in this situation given how close we are to being an elite team. I would hope so. He has to recognize the impact that a Young, Burns, Baker, Surtain type of player could have on this team, assuming they fit the scheme and locker room culture. I think we should be out make a big move, for a starting caliber player at the deadline at CB, S, DE, or maybe WR if they simply don't trust Jamo.

It's not like those guys are readily available and most of the big splash trades happen in the offseason anyway. I don't remember too many big deadline trades but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

The Giants stink, after being a hot team last year and could be sellers at the deadline. DBs  Xavier McKinney and Adoree Jackson may be two guys worth our time as well. McKinney has a near 70 PFF grade and 23 tackles with 0 ints. He's been targeted 14 times and allowed 8 catches.

I'd still love to get Budda Baker from Arizona if he is fully healthy and cleared to return if we are targeting a DB because Baker can step right in and play the CJGJ role alongside Branch.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Randy Gregory as well just last week. Calvin Ridley, Bradley Chubb, Roquan Smith, Robert Quinn, and Johnathan Hankins last year too.

If I were making bold predictions, I'd say this year's splash move would be the Bears trading Justin Fields

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Randy Gregory as well just last week. Calvin Ridley, Bradley Chubb, Roquan Smith, Robert Quinn, and Johnathan Hankins last year too.

Gregory was a nothing trade but otherwise, you're right. I guess my memory is starting to fade in my, gulp, now middle age.

21 hours ago, romad1 said:

Consider the impact of the draft class we just had.  I want this GM to have as many picks as possible. 

The first step of building a team from nothing is different from taking the final step to championship level. You use your draft picks in the draft when building because you need as much cost-effective talent as possible to build your core. Holmes has completed that step, as well as the second step of surrounding that core with quality depth. We're now at the final step where one or two great pieces can put your team over the top to be legitimate SB contenders. I'm not saying to go all Eff Them Picks, but eff some of them if it gets you a stud at an important position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, holygoat said:

The first step of building a team from nothing is different from taking the final step to championship level. You use your draft picks in the draft when building because you need as much cost-effective talent as possible to build your core. Holmes has completed that step, as well as the second step of surrounding that core with quality depth. We're now at the final step where one or two great pieces can put your team over the top to be legitimate SB contenders. I'm not saying to go all Eff Them Picks, but eff some of them if it gets you a stud at an important position.

I don't think we disagree that much.   I'm feeling good about Brad Holmes' ability to navigate these things.  I'm just paranoid that something will go wrong:  Joel Zumaya flipping a quad; Erik Andolsek being killed; a limo crash with our Russian defenseman; David Ortiz knocking Torii Hunter over a wall.