12/28 @7:30PM Detroit Pistons @ Boston Celtics

Tigeraholic1

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

As bad as the Pistons shoot, if they  just take care of the ball they could give themselves a chance...... Lost by 6, with 6 more TO than the Celtics

Goes back to not having a point guard.  Cade and Ivey are above average ball handlers by off guard standards but below average by point guard standards.  Leads to sloppy turnovers and bad decision making with passes.  Finding a point guard should be the number one priority.  Morris will help a lot if he ever comes back.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

ausar's offense is so bad he's borderline unplayable at times.  its going to take a creative offensive coach - or a coach paying attention - to put him in positions to succeed on that end of the floor.

i dont think monty is that coach.

There is a very wide variance in his outcome when he reaches his prime.  I am betting he gets there.  Just needs to be competent enough where he is not such a minus on offense.  It’s going to be painful to wait.  Especially if it ends up that he his best years are with another team.  

Edited by Hart

31 minutes ago, Hart said:

There is a very wide variance in his outcome when he reaches his prime.  I am betting he gets there.  Just needs to be competent enough where he is not such a minus on offense.  It’s going to be painful to wait.  Especially if it ends up that he his best years are with another team.  

Weaver's thought process in assembling this team.....no wait, there couldn't possibly have been one.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

ausar's offense is so bad he's borderline unplayable at times.  its going to take a creative offensive coach - or a coach paying attention - to put him in positions to succeed on that end of the floor.

i dont think monty is that coach.

Thompson would fill an early Rodman as starter role very well, except for the fact that there isn't enough offense around him like Rodman had.  Rodman had the ability to weave into an already made unit of Thomas, Dumars, Laimbeer, Dantley/Aguirre (although he was in a bit of a rotation with this spot).  This current team is not that at all.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

ivey giveth, ivey taketh away.

He still seems to want to ramp up too much at high speed too often.  I think he's been better at dialing that in lately, but that's only been on the offense.  He's still unable to use that speed to his advantage on the defensive side.  To his credit, he was the sole offensive rebounder in the paint a few times late in the game and did his best to keep the ball in possession.

sam rips the pistons today.  good!  about time someone sat down and explained to the pistons beat writers that the problem is troy weaver.  he even pours water on the ausar thompson hype train. 

while cade hasnt become luka, i think we've seen flashes of luke-lite over the past two weeks.  especially when - gasp - monty stopped playing ausar, killian, and two bigs who cant shoot with him.  the plan should have been surround cade with shooters and a pnr big man from the get go.  they got their big man in duren.  the rest?  ivey?  killian?  trading bey for wiseman? a future first for 6'8 non-shooter big man stewart?  ausar?  how does that help?

i think they'll beat the raptors but i hope they dont.  i hope they lose until gores is finally forced to do something.  unfortunately, that something WONT be to sell the team so it likely wont matter in the long run.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39202109/detroit-pistons-amid-28-game-losing-streak-facing-issues-skid

even espn finally noticed.

"Over the past 15 years, Detroit is the only NBA team without a playoff win. It has the fewest regular-season wins (454) and lowest winning percentage (.372) over that span, with only the Sacramento Kings and Minnesota Timberwolves joining them under .400.

Those teams, though, sit among the top four in the Western Conference and boast multiple All-NBA selections on their rosters: De'Aaron Fox and Domantas Sabonis in Sacramento and Anthony Edwards, Karl-Anthony Towns and Rudy Gobert in Minnesota."

that's over tom gores' period in owning the team, in case you were wondering.

People need to chill on Ausar, a rookie in an impossible situation to succeed. Look at his confidence the first 10 or so games of the season compared to now, night and day. A good coach would figure out a way to incorporate him into the rotation despite the shooting issues but this coach is too interested in "sending messages" than actually letting these young players work through difficulties so now we get a kid with wrecked confidence.

That method of breaking them down before building them back up works for some but most young players need the confidence of their coach to have confidence in their own game and Monty has effectively lost the confidence of just about every young player on this roster. There's a bundle of talent and Basketball IQ to work with Ausar so I hope this coach or the next one doesn't waste it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Thompson would fill an early Rodman as starter role very well, except for the fact that there isn't enough offense around him like Rodman had.  Rodman had the ability to weave into an already made unit of Thomas, Dumars, Laimbeer, Dantley/Aguirre (although he was in a bit of a rotation with this spot).  This current team is not that at all.

That's the thing. The piston team is full of the same guy that you can only have one of on a team.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, buddha said:

sam rips the pistons today.  good!  about time someone sat down and explained to the pistons beat writers that the problem is troy weaver.  he even pours water on the ausar thompson hype train. 

I just read the Athletic article. Was so funny. JE desperately trying to bait Sam in to saying something, anything, positive, and Sam was having none of it. JE is so pathetic.

Edited by ben9753

4 hours ago, casimir said:

He still seems to want to ramp up too much at high speed too often.  I think he's been better at dialing that in lately, but that's only been on the offense.  He's still unable to use that speed to his advantage on the defensive side.  To his credit, he was the sole offensive rebounder in the paint a few times late in the game and did his best to keep the ball in possession.

Ivey would probably be a good football player.  He's a great athlete by any standards but I think his agility and lateral quickness are lacking and limit his defensive ability as a basketball player.  He's explosive but not that quick in small spaces.  I used to think it was an effort issue on defense but now I think it's more than that.  He's been giving more effort lately but still gets beat off the dribble too much.  His athleticism allows him to make some defensive plays that other guys can't but as far as being consistently good at defense on most possessions, he still struggles.  

4 hours ago, buddha said:

i think they'll beat the raptors but i hope they dont.  i hope they lose until gores is finally forced to do something.  unfortunately, that something WONT be to sell the team so it likely wont matter in the long run.

depends if they play like they have the last 2 games then yeah I agree, but maybe Cade has an off night 

Why is Killian getting minutes? He's not an NBA player. Same with Wiseman. Also, can we stop rolling out the entire bench at once? How about keeping one of Cade and/or Ivey in the game at all times to have someone that can create for himself and others? Is staggering a lineup that hard for a Detroit coaching staff? First Casey and now Monty, neither understand how to stagger. While you're learning how to coach, is calling a good play out of a timeout too much to ask?

On a positive note, Stew was injured and so we rolled out a starting lineup (if you squint real hard) that actually looked like a real NBA lineup instead of two Centers. I don't expect Monty to figure that out and make a change, but there it is. Knox isn't that guy in the long run, he's like the G-League version, but he fits the profile of the type of player you need in that spot: Length, athleticism, spacing, can attack a close-out and finish.