2024 CFP National Championship: #1 Michigan Wolverines (14-0) vs. #2 Washington Huskies (14-0)

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

Final AP rankings. 

In their last 6 games, Michigan beat #13, unranked, #10, #24, #5 and #2. Even more impressive would be how they were ranked at the time the game was played. I think that would be #9, unranked, #2, #16, #4 and #2.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

bUt cOnNoR $tAlLiOnS¡!

Also while none of those games outside of Iowa were true blowouts I think Michigan controlled virtually all of them from start to finish with the exception of falling behind to Bama. And even that game most would agree that UM was clearly outclassing them and really just some ST gaffes stopped it from being a more convincing victory. 

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Karsch sounds like he’s still a little drunk on the midday show 😂

I think Jansen is a great color commentator. I think Karsch is very good at describing the game. He's likeable. Unlike when listening to Brandstatter, you can listen to Karsch and have a good idea in real-time exactly what is happening. But man, Karsch has to have the worst "excited voice" on big plays that I've ever heard from a PBP announcer. Not sure how to describe it. A squeaky, high-pitched rasp?

• Like 1

Agreed about Karsh, been listening to his radio shows for years and love him but from what Ive heard of his play by play stuff(only heard the snippets from big plays) he isn't very good at that. Just doesn't have the voice for it imo atleast for the big moments anyway. 

I want to think Karsh will develop the nuances as he continues. TBH, I have not listened much this season. What I have heard sounds a bit like Jeff Joniak on the Bears broadcast when he started 20 plus years ago. 

It takes a couple of years of doing PBP to get comfortable doing it. A big step from a daily talk show or being a sideline reporter. Doug's a good guy, I wish him well.

38 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It’s a very unique voice. I don’t dislike it. I think if he stays with the job for 15-20 years and improves naturally, it will become a very endearing voice for Michigan fans.

It could be for me that its just cause I known him so long as a radio host that it sounds weird hearing him do pbp.

I had the same issues with Dan Miller when he started calling the Lions, before then I knew him so long as the Fox 2 Sports guy that it just didn't seem right to me hearing him call games but of course I ended up getting used to it and now wouldn't trade him for anybody. 

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Btw I guess critiquing pbp announcers is what things come down to after you win a championship since were so accustomed to being critical of something. Lol

Lol, yes, if you had told me 3 years ago that I'd be sitting here nitpicking that the Michigan announcer's call of a national championship clinching interception was half an octave too high, I would have taken it!! And oh yeah, Jack Harbaugh's "who's got it better than us" cut out a bit because he got too close to the mic, ha. Speaking of Jack, check out the last sentence of this Wikipedia entry:

Screenshot (1588).png

Edited by lordstanley

I didn't think Harbaugh could do it. Not that I thought it was a Harbaugh problem, I never wanted him fired, even after 2020... I just thought it was a college football problem that there was no immediate cure to for a program like Michigan, at least until the playoff expanded.

When you have teams like Alabama and Ohio State, which are basically getting their first pick of the high school litter, taking all the 5*s, and then saying "alright y'all fight for the rest, see you in January", how are you supposed to compete with that? I thought Harbaugh was doing as well as any coach possibly could at a school like Michigan in that second tier. Ten wins and a warm bowl game. Wash, rinse, repeat... Going further and beating Ohio State and all their 5*s? It's not realistic to happen but once every 5-10 years. It should have happened with The Spot and didn't, so now we have to wait another 5-10 years. Let alone winning beyond that, taking down Alabama, Georgia, or the SEC Flavor of the Month in the same season. Impossible.

But he did it. And the fact that he did it despite everything is truly remarkable. He took his 4*s and 3*s with the one or two 5*s, and he developed them. He turned a kid like Mikey Sainristil, changed his position, and made him into a championship clinching corner. He developed a program and a culture that beat Ohio State three times in a row. That beat Alabama in the Rose Bowl. That beat anybody and everybody who came in their way. In 2024, with a four-team playoff, that's beyond anything I could have expected.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I didn't think Harbaugh could do it. Not that I thought it was a Harbaugh problem, I never wanted him fired, even after 2020... I just thought it was a college football problem that there was no immediate cure to for a program like Michigan, at least until the playoff expanded.

When you have teams like Alabama and Ohio State, which are basically getting their first pick of the high school litter, taking all the 5*s, and then saying "alright y'all fight for the rest, see you in January", how are you supposed to compete with that? I thought Harbaugh was doing as well as any coach possibly could at a school like Michigan in that second tier. Ten wins and a warm bowl game. Wash, rinse, repeat... Going further and beating Ohio State and all their 5*s? It's not realistic to happen but once every 5-10 years. It should have happened with The Spot and didn't, so now we have to wait another 5-10 years. Let alone winning beyond that, taking down Alabama, Georgia, or the SEC Flavor of the Month in the same season. Impossible.

But he did it. And the fact that he did it despite everything is truly remarkable. He took his 4*s and 3*s with the one or two 5*s, and he developed them. He turned a kid like Mikey Sainristil, changed his position, and made him into a championship clinching corner. He developed a program and a culture that beat Ohio State three times in a row. That beat Alabama in the Rose Bowl. That beat anybody and everybody who came in their way. In 2024, with a four-team playoff, that's beyond anything I could have expected.

Heck, even 10 days ago I wasn't yet sure whether Michigan was just a really, really good Big 10 team but not yet the very best in the country. That's why I leaned towards Alabama as the Rose Bowl pick until I saw the game play out with my own eyes.

1:25 to 3:00 is really good.

Michigan Wolverines Locker Room Celebration - Michigan vs Washington Huskies Championship 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXYcVkRn7qU

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

frank beckman was a great michigan announcer.  i liked him a lot better than bob ufer and his horn.

Ufer got away with that because he was a player in the program.  College football was very different then.   

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Ufer got away with that because he was a player in the program.  College football was very different then.   

Ufer ran track. He didn’t play football, did he, although I might be wrong.  Ufer was great for me as a 10 yard old in the ‘70s. I probably have listened to his Anthony Carter more times than any other clip I have in any sport. I suspect adult me would have got tired of him after awhile.