2024 CFP National Championship: #1 Michigan Wolverines (14-0) vs. #2 Washington Huskies (14-0)

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Ufer ran track. He didn’t play football, did he, although I might be wrong.  Ufer was great for me as a 10 yard old in the ‘70s. I probably have listened to his Anthony Carter more times than any other clip I have in any sport. I suspect adult me would have got tired of him after awhile. 

per the wikipedia...

At the University of Michigan, Ufer set eight freshman school records in track.[8][9] At the Big Ten Conference track meet in 1942, he set a new world indoor record of 48.1 seconds in the 440-yard dash, breaking the old record of 48.2.[10] He was a three-time Big Ten Conference champion in the indoor 440-yard dash.[11] Ufer also played halfback on the Michigan freshman reserve football squad in 1939.[12] He graduated with an A.B. in history in 1943.[13]

I actually thought he was much more of a player than that.  

Also, graduating with a history degree in 1943.  I don't see a WWII bio piece.  Wonder what he was up to during the next two years.  

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Which round did U of M knock Penix into?  He was completely underwhelming.  

He was as effective as CJ Stroud and he did ok.  What might be interesting is if his ribs, ankle and other war wounds hurt him at the combine.  

32 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Which round did U of M knock Penix into?  He was completely underwhelming.  

Penix is a first-round talent.    Michigan was just dominant and beat the snot out of him.     He's tough as hell too.    Best situation for him would be to go to a team with an aging QB that doesn't have to play him right away.      Middle first round, who are the candidates........

Seattle - Stays "home", can play behind Geno for a year or two

LA Rams - How many years does Stafford have left, 2?   

Miami - We all know that Tua is one hit away from it being over.   Plus, strategically it makes sense having a left-handed backup to a left-handed starter.  

The Jets - Thinking Rodgers will play one more year just to keep the spotlight on himself. 

And there is the possibility that Penix ends up a Raider with Jim Harbaugh as his coach.  

But you put Penix in a poorly-run team like Denver or Washington and he'll look like Zach Wilson.  

I don't know if he slides past Atlanta at #8.   New coach with some real talent on offense will want to make an impact and he can be in the wings waiting for Ridder's next flop. 

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Ufer ran track. He didn’t play football, did he, although I might be wrong.  Ufer was great for me as a 10 yard old in the ‘70s. I probably have listened to his Anthony Carter more times than any other clip I have in any sport. I suspect adult me would have got tired of him after awhile. 

yeah - his shtick was already old when he was still only on local ann arbor radio.

Minutes Michigan trailed this season in 15 games (out of 900 total minutes):

East Carolina: 0:00

UNLV 0:00

Bowling Green 0:00

Rutgers  8:04

Nebraska  0:00

Minnesota 0:00

Indiana 5:58

Michigan State 0:00

Purdue 0:00

Penn St 5:21

Maryland  4:10

Ohio State 0:00

Iowa  0:00

Alabama 18:14

Washington  0:00

Total   41:24  (4.5% of the time)

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Minutes Michigan trailed this season in 15 games (out of 900 total minutes):

East Carolina: 0:00

UNLV 0:00

Bowling Green 0:00

Rutgers  8:04

Nebraska  0:00

Minnesota 0:00

Indiana 5:58

Michigan State 0:00

Purdue 0:00

Penn St 5:21

Maryland  4:10

Ohio State 0:00

Iowa  0:00

Alabama 18:14

Washington  0:00

Total   41:24  (4.5% of the time)

That first second TD of Rutger's game was just baffling.