NFC Super Wildcard Weekend: Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5)

To me its 50/50 they win or loose. Will make it somewhat easier to stomach if they do loose. If they faced a team I was expecting them to beat and they lost, it would really hurt. If they loose this one, it would suck, but it won't feel like a punch in the gut. Its two good football teams, and one is going to come out on top.

It's not gonna be easy but it's the playoffs so that's the way it should be. I'd say that the Lions have a 60/40 advantage so they should win this game majority of the time but it's far from a slam dunk which again is what you should expect come playoff time.  

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's not gonna be easy but it's the playoffs so that's the way it should be. I'd say that the Lions have a 60/40 advantage so they should win this game majority of the time but it's far from a slam dunk which again is what you should expect come playoff time.  

What’s gone into your thought process to give the Lions a 60/40 advantage? 

55 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m honestly more than a little worried about this game.  Getting lost in the Stafford/Goff angle is that the Rams have been among the hottest teams in the 2nd half.  They’ve won 7 of their last 8 games with the only loss being the OT loss at the Ravens.   That’s a really impressive stretch.  

McVay is really smart offensive mind and Kerby Joseph is a really instinctive player that can be baited too easily.  I’m afraid they will dial up a few things to take advantage of that aggression.   Kerby needs to focus more on being a true free safety and not letting the ball get behind him more than making big plays on pass catchers.   We can’t afford any more mental breakdowns in the secondary this week.  

I echo a lot of these concerns. We really need the defense that played Dallas (minus the missed safety-sack) to show up. If they allow Stafford to carve up Vildor and linebackers in coverage, it’s going to be a long game and we are going to have a bad time.

The Rams have won seven of their last eight for a reason. They’re very good. They probably would have given the 49ers a run for their money in the West had they put it together sooner.

There will likely not be room for mistake on offense. We need the line to impose their will and we need the running game to move the chains. None of this three turnover game BS they got away with against the Raiders and didn’t get away with against the Seahawks.

On defense, don’t try to do too much. Go with the recipe that’s worked all year. Stuff the run game, make the opposing QB win the game with his arm. Send pressure strategically and force mistakes.

I think it’s going to be a very close game that comes down to the wire, possibly OT.

The Lions have the matchup advantage in all phases except pass defense vs pass offense. Keep in mind the Rams pass defense is not very good and grades worse than the Lions. Their overall defense is dead even in yards with the Lions fiving up 1 more yard per game. They are 19th in points against and the Lions 23rd. They give up 1 fewer point per game. The Lions ran into a buzzsaw of Justin Jefferson and Ceedee Lamb. The Rams have good receivers but they aren't the big outside receivers like those two are. The Lions also played a pretty vanilla defense against the Vikings. I think they have a trick up their sleeve with the 3 safety look. 

An underrated concern is that the Rams best pass rushers are up the middle and not on the edges. The Lions best pass blockers are on the edge. Goff is next to useless if he has to escape the pocket. I could though see the Lions taking advantage of outside zone runs with Gibbs. The Lions may not be able to pound the ball up the middle. 

1 hour ago, ben9753 said:

To me its 50/50 they win or loose. Will make it somewhat easier to stomach if they do loose. If they faced a team I was expecting them to beat and they lost, it would really hurt. If they loose this one, it would suck, but it won't feel like a punch in the gut. Its two good football teams, and one is going to come out on top.

The Rams are really hot. They're beating everyone they play. I don't want or expect the Lions to lose but if they do, I want a close game. Make the Rams earn a win...

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Rams almost **** the bed to the Giants. The only team of note they beat was Cleveland. I'm not counting the 49ers game since no one played that game. 

Right. Came here to post something like that. And before the Giants game, two home wins by 8 points each over Washington and New Orleans. That's fine, but not necessarily intimidating. Only really impressive part of their schedule was beating Cleveland by 17 and losing to Baltimore by 6 in back to back weeks.

Edited by lordstanley

6 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Right. Came here to post something like that. And before the Giants game, two home wins by 8 points each over Washington and New Orleans. That's fine, but not necessarily intimidating. Only really impressive part of their schedule was beating Cleveland by 17 and losing to Baltimore by 6 in back to back weeks.

To be fair, they were up 27-7 on the Saints and 20-0 on Washington. In the Cleveland game, they were only up 20-19 in the 4th when the Cleveland kicker missed an extra point. Flacco then threw an INT deep in their own territory and then turned it over on downs deep in their own territory and the game got away from them. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions have the matchup advantage in all phases except pass defense vs pass offense. Keep in mind the Rams pass defense is not very good and grades worse than the Lions. Their overall defense is dead even in yards with the Lions fiving up 1 more yard per game. They are 19th in points against and the Lions 23rd. They give up 1 fewer point per game. The Lions ran into a buzzsaw of Justin Jefferson and Ceedee Lamb. The Rams have good receivers but they aren't the big outside receivers like those two are. The Lions also played a pretty vanilla defense against the Vikings. I think they have a trick up their sleeve with the 3 safety look. 

Season stats do not tell an accurate picture of how well the Rams are playing right now.   

30 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If you look at the Lions schedule the same way, what do you see?     It’s probably less impressive.    

Rams are a good football team that’s playing their best ball now.  Not sure how that can be denied. 

Edited by Hongbit