NFC Super Wildcard Weekend: Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5)

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm sure Jack finds Jim's record really intimidating when they gather around the Thanksgiving dinner table....🤣

If I had wanted to take a slap at Harbaugh it would be that he's not even the best FB coach in the family.

A) let's see if he wins the big one

B) let's see if he sticks around either way.

i get it.  you dont like harbaugh.

31 minutes ago, number20 said:

I have 2 friends who are Bears fans, they both worship Fields and want him back. Nothing is ever his fault, he can do no wrong, he's way better than Goff, etc. They blame everything on Getsy, Flus, no receivers except DJ, sh*t OL, equipment manager, ownership, astrology, God....    

there's a lot of that.

they've never seen a good qb.  the only decent qb they've had since 85 was jay cutler, and he was such an ass hole they all hated him.

plus fields says all the right things in press conferences and people tend to take that as evidence about what a hard working guy he is.

the bears are owned by sentimental idiots so it wouldnt SHOCK me to see them intervene and tell them they had to keep fields because virginia thinks he's such a nice, well spoken young man.

I’d love to see the Bears keep Fields. He’s a bad passer who is decent with his feet. We have seen better passers who are better with their feet plateau in a way that I’m sure Fields is bound to do in the next few years. While they’re set up spectacularly well by Carolina’s incompetence, I don’t see them ever getting better than 9-8 or so under Fields.

That being said, I’m not terribly concerned about them developing a franchise signal caller either. It’s not a coincidence the Bears have always sucked at the position.

Their only hope is to draft a prospect who can win despite the franchise (a la Matt Stafford), and pair him with a coach who can win despite the franchise (a la Jim Harbaugh).

Even if they move on from Fields, I think they’ll fail at probably both of those things.

Just now, Cruzer1 said:

If Decker had reported, the Lions would have the #1 seed right now.

It’s unlikely the 49ers rest their starters in such a case, while the Rams still would. Which alone is significant, as making them play in an extra game - what if Purdy got hurt? Or their lineman? What about people who bet an over on the 49ers to hit 13 wins? The mistake by Allen could have massive implications.

Even so, we would at least be the #2 seed, which is a significant **** up on the part of Brad Allen and the NFL.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

i get it.  you dont like harbaugh.

I don't know why your focus is on whether I like him or not. It has nothing to do with the subject of the post, which was about whether he stays or goes, or whether he sees the opportunity to coach a potential all-star QB to a SB as attractive as opposed to trying to find another winner in the morass that is now college football recruiting. It's not like he hasn't been playing footsie with taking another NFL gig ever since he came to Ann Arbor. Those are just plain facts on the ground.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know why your focus is on whether I like him or not. It has nothing to do with the subject of the post, which was about whether he stays or goes, or whether he sees the opportunity to coach a potential all-star QB to a SB as attractive as opposed to trying to find another winner in the morass that is now college football recruiting. It's not like he hasn't been playing footsie with taking another NFL gig ever since he came to Ann Arbor. Those are just plain facts on the ground.

he's gone.  100% gone imo.

love the guy, but i'm worn out by the constant show.  beaten down by all the wounds, self-inflicted or otherwise.

we'll probably look back on all this as the last glory days of the old big ten: michigan and ohio state.  with all the new teams coming in things are about to get more competitive.  and i think osu is better suited to handle that in the long run than michigan without someone like harbaugh.  michigan seems so poorly run right now.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan seems so poorly run right now

Ono has been very big on 'futuring' since he got to Michigan. He has all kind of short and long term teams working on positioning issues across the 'U'. Given his history particularly at Cincinnati, it's probably a safe bet he has tasked someone with crystal ball gazing around athletics. I don't know if they will be caught unaware as much as in situations where they can't control events for the outcomes they want. 

But just because we don't hear about it, I don't think we should assume there hasn't been a lot of informal planning among the old line Big Ten schools - the stronger AAU institutions in particular  - maybe Wisconsin, UM esp. about ways to get what they want when all is said and done.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

we'll probably look back on all this as the last glory days of the old big ten: michigan and ohio state.  with all the new teams coming in things are about to get more competitive.  and i think osu is better suited to handle that in the long run than michigan without someone like harbaugh.  michigan seems so poorly run right now.

Generally speaking I think the conference not being the "big two and little eight" is better for the sport. College football is more fun when a little engine that thinks it can like Purdue (train puns) or Rutgers or Northwestern can go on a run. It will be nice to see those smaller market teams have the chance to go 10-2 and make the playoff, and get their puncher's shot against the Alabamas of the world.

I think there will still be haves and have nots, and I agree that programs like Alabama and Ohio State (who have not stopped bringing in the lion's share of 5* recruits) are better suited to have a graphic showing of "have not missed the College Football Playoff since expansion" in ten years.

At the same time, I think it's an opportunity for that disparity to become a little more saturated. In a four-team playoff, if you're a 5* recruit, you know if you go to Alabama, you'll play for a Championship. You don't know that if you go to Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, or any of those programs that are just outside the Alabama/Ohio State tier. And you do know you won't if you go to a G5 school or a mid-market B1G or ACC school. As the playoff expands, I think there is more chance for those programs to steal more 5*s as the opportunities to make the playoff increases. It also allows for great recruiting and coaching in smaller markets (like Purdue and Northwestern) to mean playoff appearances and a chance at a title. Those programs couldn't sell those opportunities in years' past with a straight face. They knew the ceiling was an Outback Bowl appearance where your best players wore sweatshirts on the sideline for the game. Maybe they'll be able to sell actual championships moving forward. 

Don't want to hi jack this into a Michigan thread but I just want to say that one thing I have noticed about the team in the past few years is how many players seem to get better with their time there. 

Like guys may be coming in as 3 or borderline 4 star recruits but ending up in the NFL. In the past 5 years I believe only 3 teams have had more NFL draft picks than Michigan and they certainly haven't gotten the 3rd or 4th best talent out of HS.

They've elevated the players and turned fringe HS prospects into NFL players. To me that has been the most impressive thing about them the past several years. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Generally speaking I think the conference not being the "big two and little eight" is better for the sport. College football is more fun when a little engine that thinks it can like Purdue (train puns) or Rutgers or Northwestern can go on a run. It will be nice to see those smaller market teams have the chance to go 10-2 and make the playoff, and get their puncher's shot against the Alabamas of the world.

I think there will still be haves and have nots, and I agree that programs like Alabama and Ohio State (who have not stopped bringing in the lion's share of 5* recruits) are better suited to have a graphic showing of "have not missed the College Football Playoff since expansion" in ten years.

At the same time, I think it's an opportunity for that disparity to become a little more saturated. In a four-team playoff, if you're a 5* recruit, you know if you go to Alabama, you'll play for a Championship. You don't know that if you go to Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, or any of those programs that are just outside the Alabama/Ohio State tier. And you do know you won't if you go to a G5 school or a mid-market B1G or ACC school. As the playoff expands, I think there is more chance for those programs to steal more 5*s as the opportunities to make the playoff increases. It also allows for great recruiting and coaching in smaller markets (like Purdue and Northwestern) to mean playoff appearances and a chance at a title. Those programs couldn't sell those opportunities in years' past with a straight face. They knew the ceiling was an Outback Bowl appearance where your best players wore sweatshirts on the sideline for the game. Maybe they'll be able to sell actual championships moving forward. 

i dont understand how the big ten expansion is better for the likes of purdue and rutgers.  they had a shot when there were only 2 1/2 good teams in the conference and they were all in the east.  they only needed to back their way into the big ten title game and pull an upset.  now they have no shot.  there is no weak big ten west anymore and they have to play more good teams.  teams like purdue and illinois are sunk.  rutgers never had hope anyway.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't want to hi jack this into a Michigan thread but I just want to say that one thing I have noticed about the team in the past few years is how many players seem to get better with their time there. 

Like guys may be coming in as 3 or borderline 4 star recruits but ending up in the NFL. In the past 5 years I believe only 3 teams have had more NFL draft picks than Michigan and they certainly haven't gotten the 3rd or 4th best talent out of HS.

They've elevated the players and turned fringe HS prospects into NFL players. To me that has been the most impressive thing about them the past several years. 

michigan's coaching has been excellent post-covid.  their recruiting rankings havent been bad, but theyre nowhere near ohio state and have fallen behind penn state, yet theyve dominated both.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan's coaching has been excellent post-covid.  their recruiting rankings havent been bad, but theyre nowhere near ohio state and have fallen behind penn state, yet theyve dominated both.

Coaching is the main thing but I also credit their strength and conditioning guys as well. I think that always plays a big part in developing 18-21 year old kids/ young men.

11 hours ago, buddha said:

there's a lot of that.

they've never seen a good qb.  the only decent qb they've had since 85 was jay cutler, and he was such an ass hole they all hated him.

plus fields says all the right things in press conferences and people tend to take that as evidence about what a hard working guy he is.

the bears are owned by sentimental idiots so it wouldnt SHOCK me to see them intervene and tell them they had to keep fields because virginia thinks he's such a nice, well spoken young man.

My son, who lives in Chicago, says the Bears are going to take Marvin Harrison , Jr with the #1 pick. I totally disagree.....

Getting back to the NFL, the Rams experience worries me. If the Lions play the type of defense that held Dallas to 20 points at home, we'll win. Leave receivers wide open and don't get any pressure on Stafford and he'll light us up. The Rams are field tested while this is all new for the Lions. I hate to say it and I really hope I'm wrong but I take the Rams with the points. 😐

12 hours ago, buddha said:

i know you have a hatred of jim harbaugh, but he's one of the most successful coaches in the game.  no other coach has been as successful in college and the pros.  not saban.  not bill walsh.  not urban meyer.

I think we're being a bit silly here. 

Harbaugh as still yet to win a championship at either level. Some of those coaches you listed, and some you left off, have done at least that. 

12 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Getting back to the NFL, the Rams experience worries me. If the Lions play the type of defense that held Dallas to 20 points at home, we'll win. Leave receivers wide open and don't get any pressure on Stafford and he'll light us up. The Rams are field tested while this is all new for the Lions. I hate to say it and I really hope I'm wrong but I take the Rams with the points. 😐

I think the Rams will probably move it up the field pretty easily just like I think we will as well. It will likely come down to the turnover battle or who performs better in the RZ. 

36 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Inject this into my veins. Average ticket price for Sunday is $601 highest by far of any wildcard game.

This is great. What's incredible about it too is that Ford Field was a relaxed environment yesterday too. People were just there to have fun, there was no real concern about win or lose. It was pretty cool.

I think we're going to take the top off of the place on Sunday Night. With ticket prices as high as they are and playing a team like the Rams that won't travel and has little to no local contingent, I would expect 99% Lions fans just there to make noise and be a problem. It won't be the Ford Field Stafford remembers.

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

I think we're being a bit silly here. 

Harbaugh as still yet to win a championship at either level. Some of those coaches you listed, and some you left off, have done at least that. 

how many have been at the championship game at both levels?

I don’t know what it is about Harbaugh. He seems like a movie character where he arrived at Michigan in 1983, got a lifetime supply of khakis, and never again connected with the world outside of football. But between the lines he is a savant. 

59 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yes, Stafford’s return is notable but the real question in this game is does Goff have the stone cold killer in him. He will need to be perfect to win, and to bury the narrative that he rode McVay’s coattails.