NFC Super Wildcard Weekend: Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5)

9 hours ago, buddha said:

dan campbell's aggression was a big factor in winning this game (along with the refs swalloing the whistle on PI in the second half).  he went for a td on 4th and goal when the lions were rolling.  he let goff pass twice on the last drive instead of just running up the gut to burn clock.

and mcvay wasting two time outs early in order to get "perfect play calls" burned him in the end.  he's one of the best play callers in the league but also one of the worst in the nfl in burning time outs early.

stafford was his usual stafford self: big arm, taking big punishment and somehow playing through it.  just like he was as a lion.  and just like he was as a lion, he didnt win the big game in detroit even though it wasnt his fault.

but to me this was about dan campbell and jared goff.  campbell is a great coach and goff played very well in the first half and on the last drive...other than his almost catastrophic fumble pass that the lions fortunately recovered.

now...on to the mock draft machine to see if there are on cornerbacks worth drafting!  lol.

Mcvay was coaching scared, coaching not to lose. But it cost him multiple chances. 3 times in the red zone he kicked field goals instead of trusting Stafford on 4th downs. If I were a Ram fan, I would blame his ultra-conservative coaching decisions.

2 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Motown Comet? Motown Meteor was sitting right there. 

An extra syllable actually sounds good there...

Try Motown Meteorite ... it sounds good rolling across the tongue...

Besides, a meteor would be species destroying whilst a meteorite simply puts on a show...

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Besides, a meteor would be species destroying whilst a meteorite simply puts on a show...

I’ll allow it.

57 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I've always thought Motor City Mathman would be a good moniker for a local sports analytics guy.

I've been thinking, what exactly is Stafford going to be remembered for as a Lion? He will likely still be the Lions all time leader in many passing categories for years to come, but what is his special moment as a Lion? The game against Cleveland where the Lions won a meaningless game with his dislocated shoulder? The fake spike against the Cowboys in a mediocre season? I will always remember the Goff pass to Chark against the Packers to end Rodgers Packer career and his pass to St Brown to win the first playoff game in 32 years and who knows what will happen in these playoffs. Stafford had those opportunities and for things within and out of his control came up short.  Stafford kind of reminds me of the Grant Hill of the Lions. A star player who played on some mediocre teams but never advanced in the playoffs. They both left for sunny pastures and the Pistons, like the Lions, were left with a castoff that became central to a playoff run and a new era. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Under Stafford I can't think of a single "big game" we won? Like the 3 times we made the playoffs we kinda struggled at the end of the year and lost every time the division was on the line. 

As for high profile national games the only one that comes to mind that we won the Bears Monday Night game that made us 5-0. Any other we may have won we weren't very good that year so ultimately it didnt matter. 

And for the record certainly not blaming him for all the losses but for one reason or another we just never could win that big game when he was with us. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

On 1/15/2024 at 10:42 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

As far as Stafford not mentioning the Detroit fans, I have a feeling we're gonna find out that some fans were pretty nasty to his wife and kids in the stands and he hadn't had time to process it yet.      That moment was very unlike Stafford, so I think there's more to it.  

Yep,  you know what Kelly's saying now.   I knew this was it.  That's why he was short about the fans.   I knew it had something to do with her.   She's always going to make herself the story.  

On 1/16/2024 at 2:08 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Kelly Stafford didn't like Lions fans booing her children but she lacks the self-awareness to realize they were booing her and not the children. 

There would have been fans booing Jesus if he had a Rams jersey on. Kelly and her children aren't any different. She dresses her kids up in enemy garb and walks on the field past the rabid fans. What did she expect? It was her way to troll the starving fans. Shame on her.

27 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

There would have been fans booing Jesus if he had a Rams jersey on. Kelly and her children aren't any different. She dresses her kids up in enemy garb and walks on the field past the rabid fans. What did she expect? It was her way to troll the starving fans. Shame on her.

And it's all so stupid. It's sports for freaking sakes and Kelly is on some other planet. You are supposed to have fun with playing the bad guy in enemy territory - if you can't do that stay the hell at home. And again - family and children on the field after the game is the celebration for the winners. That's part of what you earn by winning between the lines. If you lose the game best to just vacate the field.

Airhead.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

And it's all so stupid. It's sports for freaking sakes and Kelly is on some other planet. You are supposed to have fun with playing the bad guy in enemy territory - if you can't do that stay the hell at home. And again - family and children on the field after the game is the celebration for the winners. That's part of what you earn by winning between the lines. If you lose the game best to just vacate the field.

Airhead.

I don’t understand why fans want to make a controversy over the slightest thing someone says. She was booed, it was her experience. She has a right to talk about it if she wants. She said nothing controversial or untrue. Why not just enjoy the Lion’s success and let others express their perspective without getting all pissy.

8 minutes ago, Longgone said:

I don’t understand why fans want to make a controversy over the slightest thing someone says. She was booed, it was her experience. She has a right to talk about it if she wants. She said nothing controversial or untrue. Why not just enjoy the Lion’s success and let others express their perspective without getting all pissy.

I don’t mind her at all.  It’s them damn kids.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think if you ranked the 14 playoff teams before the wildcard round, the Bucs would be between 12th and 14th in most rankings. I’m not surprised they aren’t getting much love.

The Lions have a much better roster than Tampa. This game is on the coaches...a prepared Lions team should beat a Tampa team. And Campbell always seems prepared. And he seems to always have his team prepared.

12 hours ago, Longgone said:

I wouldn't go that far when she basically implies she was treated poorly or that there shouldn't be booing at a pro sports game, other have the right to defend themselves/call her out.

By just throwing your arms up and saying oh well is the mentality she wants. 

I remembered going to tigers games in the 90s when the Indians flooded the place. I remember getting booed in our own damn stadium. Sometimes the fans would boo them buy me a soda other times they would just boo. It was never malicious and part of thr game and if you don't expect it or can't take it, keep your family at home.

Edited by KL2