NFC Super Wildcard Weekend: Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5)

Is it just me or did the Rams play timid?  Conceding for field goals and punting with only 4 min left and you have either zero or 1 time out?  I was shocked they didn’t go for it. But I don’t watch a lot of football.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Not that they really could have done anything about it, but was anyone else annoyed that we didn't get to see if the ball cleared the goal post?

image.png.b01c1b965930a0b17a4782ddf0931784.png

maybe put the camera somewhere that cant happen? its a big stadium hard to believe that cant  be the only spot

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Is it just me or did the Rams play timid?  Conceding for field goals and punting with only 4 min left and you have either zero or 1 time out?  I was shocked they didn’t go for it. But I don’t watch a lot of football.  

kind of but they had been able to the stop the Lions offense all 2nd half

1 minute ago, oblong said:

It was 4th-and-long with over 4 minutes to go, and the Lions offense had not shown the ability to move the ball against the Rams defense in the 2nd half. I don't think it was a terrible decision considering those conditions. Obviously it was the wrong decision, but in the moment I didn't raise an eyebrow.

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

kind of but they had been able to the stop the Lions offense all 2nd half

Interestingly, the Lions and Rams only had 8 possessions each last night. The Lions drove for a FG on their first possession of the 2nd half, then had two 3 and outs, then ran out the clock with a pair of clinching first downs on their final possession. 

6 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Interestingly, the Lions and Rams only had 8 possessions each last night. The Lions drove for a FG on their first possession of the 2nd half, then had two 3 and outs, then ran out the clock with a pair of clinching first downs on their final possession. 

I saw someone comment on Twitter that the game was going too fast for the broadcast, which was making them do more of the dreaded score, *TV timeout*, touchback, *TV timeout* sequence

19 minutes ago, oblong said:

Punt was the right play. There was a ton of time left and that was a 4th and long (pretty much a Hail Mary), plus their defense was playing well.  All their FGs were on 4th and long as well, all seemed like the right call.

I actually thought the Lions played a little timid offensively in the second half. They were full throttle in the first half then sort of went conservative in the second half. The Rams had something to do with that though, their defense stepped up as did the Lions defense.

Edited by NYLion

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

A little bit... but Detroit wasn't doing anything offensively in the second half. Our drives here:

• 9 plays, 4:36, 44yards, FG
  • 6 plays, 2:40, 13yards, Punt
  • 3 plays, 0:52, 6 yards, Punt

It's not unreasonable at all to think that their defense could hold and get the ball back to Stafford. 4th and 14 isn't impossible, but it also isn't easy and missing means you give the Lions a relatively short field and a relatively good chance of at least getting a FG, meaning you need a TD to win.

Punt and force the Lions to a 3 and out with that much time left? There's a good chance you get into FG range to win it. I don't think it was necessarily a bad call to punt. Obviously it turned out bad, but I wouldn't call it a terrible decision at all.

25 minutes ago, holygoat said:

It was 4th-and-long with over 4 minutes to go, and the Lions offense had not shown the ability to move the ball against the Rams defense in the 2nd half. I don't think it was a terrible decision considering those conditions. Obviously it was the wrong decision, but in the moment I didn't raise an eyebrow.

It's the timeouts that really made it sort of questionable.... but in the moment (without seeing the analytics), it seemed like too far a distance to go for it. 4th and 14 is really low percentage

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

As far as Stafford not mentioning the Detroit fans, I have a feeling we're gonna find out that some fans were pretty nasty to his wife and kids in the stands and he hadn't had time to process it yet.      That moment was very unlike Stafford, so I think there's more to it.  

I think he just really wanted to win this game. Maybe more than he even knew. The lack of follow-up questions also makes me think it wasn't even meant to be a shot at the fans so much as it was meant to be a non-answer to a question he didn't want to hear after a tough loss.

"Happy for the players" is really just a "can I leave now" answer if you remove all the context.

I don't think punting on 4th and 14 was the right call for the Rams. It reminds me of when Andy Reid went for it on 4th and 25 in week one.

First, you have the players to convert it. It's not like you're a one-dimensional offense and rely exclusively on the run. Stafford, Puka, and Kupp were carving us up at times, and had already converted at least one 3rd and 15 earlier in the game.

Second, the relative benefit isn't there. They punted from the 44 and DPJ went out of bounds at the 17. So they gained 27 yards of field position. With about 4 minutes left and the Rams having only one timeout and the two-minute warning, no matter where the Lions got the ball, the name of the game was getting 2-3 first downs. Getting it at the 44 might marginally increase the odds we kick a long field goal to go up 4, but that would take at least one first down anyway. In other words, you're probably losing anyway. Whether your defense makes a stand at the 44 or the 17, it wouldn't matter. They'd need to do it. Give your offense one more shot.

The calculus is a little different if Ford Field doesn't force two timeouts. At that point, you can be selective in using those and make the Lions stretch the field more.

• Thanks 1

The Rams lost by one and didn't go for it on 4th down a single time in the second half. It doesn't inherently mean the Rams were too conservative, but it is a yellow flag.

They had 4th and 11 on their own 38 (punt), 4th and 8 on the Lions 9 (FG), 4th and 8 on the Lions 11 (FG), and 4th and 14 on the Lions 44. The last one is probably the only one that sticks out as should have gone for it. 

I wonder what the Rams would have done if the Lions had declined the holding penalty, for a 4th and 4 from the Lions 34. Probably would have attempted the 52 yard FG instead of going for it, but they’ve had kicking issues all season.  Right decision by Campbell to accept the penalty  

5 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I wonder what the Rams would have done if the Lions had declined the holding penalty, for a 4th and 4 from the Lions 34. Probably would have attempted the 52 yard FG instead of going for it, but they’ve had kicking issues all season.  Right decision by Campbell to accept the penalty  

I couldn't believe it when Tirico/Collinsworth were questioning the wisdom of accepting that penalty.... that's a risk you absolutely take there given the down and distance they could force in 4th down. It's a really good example of putting pressure on the Rams coaching staff as well.

I actually think less of Stafford now and think Kelly is rubbing off on him. That answer about feeling good for the players just reeked of entitlement. Was he really expecting a hero's welcome? We've moved on from our ex and are sick and tired of talking about our ex. We got a new QB. Done looking in the past.

32 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

As far as Stafford not mentioning the Detroit fans, I have a feeling we're gonna find out that some fans were pretty nasty to his wife and kids in the stands and he hadn't had time to process it yet.      That moment was very unlike Stafford, so I think there's more to it.  

Another future HOF who potentially has a bad taste in his mouth.  Time heals a lot of wounds, though Barry and Calvin’s issues were directed at the org, and not the fan base. I hate that Stafford was made to be the villain—while he should not have been celebrated, he also should not have been booed.  No one could question his passion and effort to win while with the Lions.

I just hope that when his career ends, he is revered as a Lions great, and he embraces the team and fans.