NFC Super Wildcard Weekend: Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5)

51 minutes ago, buddha said:

dan campbell's aggression was a big factor in winning this game (along with the refs swalloing the whistle on PI in the second half).  he went for a td on 4th and goal when the lions were rolling.  he let goff pass twice on the last drive instead of just running up the gut to burn clock.

and mcvay wasting two time outs early in order to get "perfect play calls" burned him in the end.  he's one of the best play callers in the league but also one of the worst in the nfl in burning time outs early.

I keep harping on accepting that holding call, but one of the impacts of that decision is that he put pressure on the Rams to make a decision on punting/going for it. Different sport, but you hear AJ Hinch talk a lot about it as well.... constantly putting pressure, creating decisions for the other team is always a net plus.

Campbell doesn't always get it 100% right all the time, but you can see how he can be a handful for opposing coaching staffs playing the Detroit Lions. 

Edited by mtutiger

I was reading Rams fans before the game saying how much smarter McVay was than Campbell. He clearly out coached McVay. If Campbell was 5'9 and 160 pounds with glasses and didn't mention biting off kneecaps, people would talk about how analytical and smart he is. He's been perfect at blending the rah-rah football and analytics. It truly has been a great hire. I don't think any other team interviewed Campbell.  

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I was reading Rams fans before the game saying how much smarter McVay was than Campbell. He clearly out coached McVay. If Campbell was 5'9 and 160 pounds with glasses and didn't mention biting off kneecaps, people would talk about how analytical and smart he is. He's been perfect at blending the rah-rah football and analytics. It truly has been a great hire. I don't think any other team interviewed Campbell.  

Dan Campbell seems tailor made to be underestimated as an intellectual.... Texas accent, over-the-top demeanor (ie. biting off kneecaps). But he's really smart. I think people in the league understand it, but to an extent, fans outside of Detroit are still catching up.

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Dan Campbell seems tailor made to be underestimated as an intellectual.... Texas accent, over-the-top demeanor (ie. biting off kneecaps). But he's really smart. I think people in the league understand it, but to an extent, fans outside of Detroit are still catching up.

He's a texas A&M grad, can't be that smart

• Haha 1

The Rams ran motion on 91% of their plays. I'm actually surprised they didn't have any false start or delay of game penalties. McVay, by far, leads the league in timeouts to prevent delay of game penalties. Those timeouts were huge in this game and also huge in their loss to the Ravens. The Lions also struggle against motion and Minnesota, with O'Connell being a coach under McVay, run a similar style motion offense. I think they can do better against Tampa or the Eagles. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

As much maligned as the Lions defense has been, they have given up 23, 20, 20, and 24 points the last 4 games. Not elite but good enough with this offense. 

Fans on X were saying the Lions won by only scoring 3 points in the 2nd half. They fail to mention that our defense held them to 6 2nd half points.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I figured Cowboys fans would want to see that they are no longer the only team the Lions have beaten in the playoffs in the Super Bowl era. 

I bet Dallas fans wish the referees would have gotten it right and made them the 3 seed. Avoiding Green Bay may have been their only chance to advance in the playoffs. Sometimes Karma is SO sweet!!

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I bet Ram fans are really mad that they settled for so many field goals. I'm really surprised, and glad, they never went for a td instead of settling.

And it's really the exact same lament Ohio State fans had after this year's Michigan game. In both cases, the more aggressive coach won.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I bet Ram fans are really mad that they settled for so many field goals. I'm really surprised, and glad, they never went for a td instead of settling.

I read Rams fans saying McVay is so much smarter than Campbell because Campbell went for it on 4th and 5 in the red zone instead of kicking a FG. Now they are all mad at McVay for kicking FGs instead of going for it. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think James Houston's evaluation period is up this week. Either they add him to the roster or he remains on IR. Maybe he plays next week. 

Well, they could activate him and then just wait another week to heal. Waste of a roster spot but if they think he'll be ready for SF (if they win) they could go that route. I hope he's ready though, we could use him...

6 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think he just really wanted to win this game. Maybe more than he even knew. The lack of follow-up questions also makes me think it wasn't even meant to be a shot at the fans so much as it was meant to be a non-answer to a question he didn't want to hear after a tough loss.

"Happy for the players" is really just a "can I leave now" answer if you remove all the context.

right. Matt is not so dumb as to say anything about his old fans that his new fans will then be on his case for, which would have been just about anything remotely positive. "Happy for the Players" who are his ex-mates is the answer that cannot be criticized by anyone.

If you are dealing with a media person whose primary interest is to create controversy, you have to play defense the best you can. What you might actually be interested in communicating to any serious listener has to take second place to that new imperative.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

stafford was fine in that press conference.  people are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

also, other than that ridiculously obvious offsides call that probably cost the lions 3 points, the refs really helped the lions.  they had a pass interference call on the last play (a d a few other ones too), a borderline roughing call on hutch/mcneill they didnt call, and a potential unnecessary roughness call on kirby when he took out higbee's knees.  

i talk a lot about the refs ****ing the lions, but they really helped them last night.  the benefits of playing at home against a non-marquee team.

Meh, I think you're trying too hard to see the opposing view. First of all, that offsides penalty was as blatant as it gets, it also probably cost the Lions 7 points the way they were moving the ball in the second half and there was a hold missed on Hutchinson on that non-interference call late. REALLY helped is an exaggeration. 

Also, the low hit Kirby made is never called on receivers. QBs with the low hit have a different set of rules. They probably got away with one with the McNeil hit but I thought the calls were largely evened out over the course of the game.

Edited by NYLion

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think it's crazy to think that next year's NFC North may be similar to this year's AFC North. Four good to great teams. Gonna be a hard division in the years to come.

I was thinking the same. I think it's quite likely that the NFC North goes from one of the weakest this season to one of the strongest next season. Green Bay and Chicago will obviously look better on paper, the Vikings have a lot of talent and should have a better QB Cousins or not and the Lions should get even better on paper with cap space and a lot of picks again. Next year could be a bloodbath in this division.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I also want to point out that the Rams rested a lot of their starters and lost. 

This is from a few years ago but I saw a similar graphic last weekend. It’s probably not so black and white once one digs into the numbers 

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/the-recent-history-of-resting-starters-in-week-17-provides-a-warning-for-the-chiefs#:~:text=Comparing the win percentage of,in their first playoff game.

Using data from the past 10 years to see if resting has an impact on the first playoff game a team plays, the data is a bit surprising. 

Comparing the win percentage of teams who rested their starters to those that didn’t, the rested teams had a staggeringly poor .333 win percentage in their first playoff game. The teams who did not rest their starters had a .786 win percentage in their first playoff game.

• Like 1