NFC Super Wildcard Weekend: Los Angeles Rams (10-7) @ Detroit Lions (12-5)

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

It doesn't absolve McVay for his handling of Goff. Two years after committing a huge contract to Goff and confirming he is your franchise QB, McVay broke him and ran him out of town. Even if you didn't believe peak Goff was good enough to win a Super Bowl, McVay made it to where Goff had no value. I disagree that the only way for the Rams to have short term success was to mortgage their future and run Goff out of town. They could have had short term success and set themselves up better for the future. 

It doesn't absolve McVay of blame for what he did to Goff but Goff's struggles is what paved the way for this trade and became a franchise changer for the Lions so I'm good with how it played out. If Goff continued to play the way he did earlier in the McVay tenure, the Lions would have likely been stuck with Teddy Two Gloves and that one high 1st rounder or whatever the proposed Denver trade was so... Thank You Sean for breaking Goff's confidence.

In terms of the Rams, they won a Superbowl. That's an auto win for them no matter how it played out but it's largely irrelevant how the Rams did for this Lions fan.

Edited by NYLion

22 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

First, I don't think anyone is saying winning a SB with Stafford on the team absolves McVay of anything. That's not the point.

Second, the "They could have had short term success and set themselves up better" part is only true if you assume that McVay is able to change who he is/what he thought. It feels a bit like saying: "I can't go outside my house from my dining room so I need to go into my den first and then go outside." And you replying: "You could have gone outside from your dining room if you just put a door in the wall."

McVay didn't know how to handle Goff right and/or Goff changed what he was doing after the trade (I'm leaning more towards #1 here). If the Rams didn't trade for Stafford, McVay would continue to mishandle Goff and/or Goff likely won't have changed his approach.

McVay could have changed his approach, but it's very unlikely that would have happened. I could put in an outside door in my dining room, but that's definitely not going to happen. So without the trade it's very, very likely the Rams don't make the SB just like it's very, very likely I'm not moving directly from my dining room to the outside.

You seem to be arguing that the trade isn't a win for the Rams because they didn't need to do it. But because of the "McVay Block" in regards to how he perceived Goff, they did have to do it.

I agree McVay and Goff weren't going to have success and I attribute that to McVay. What I am saying is McVay mishandled Goff after the 2018 Super Bowl when Zac Taylor left. He basically forced the Rams into having to discard Goff and pay a premium to do so. It was the right decision by the Rams to move Goff but it shouldn't have come to that if McVay had done a better job in the years prior to the trade. 

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

It doesn't absolve McVay of blame for what he did to Goff but Goff's struggles is what paved the way for this trade and became a franchise changer for the Lions so I'm good with how it played out. If Goff continued to play the way he did earlier in the McVay tenure, the Lions would have likely been stuck with Teddy Two Gloves and that one high 1st rounder or whatever the proposed Denver trade was so... Thank You Sean for breaking Goff's confidence.

In terms of the Rams, they won a Superbowl. That's an auto win for them no matter how it played out.

I agree this turned out great for the Lions and I think the Lions got the better of the trad. My point is I don't think Stafford winning a Super Bowl meant it was a win for the Rams because I believe with better management of Goff they could have built a team capable of winning the Super Bowl without paying a premium to make Goff go away. I also think Brad Holmes was the only one who could make this happen since he an inside view of the dynamic between Goff and McVay. I don't think he ever viewed Goff as a bridge. That alone would be an indictment on McVay. 

39 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I agree this turned out great for the Lions and I think the Lions got the better of the trad. My point is I don't think Stafford winning a Super Bowl meant it was a win for the Rams because I believe with better management of Goff they could have built a team capable of winning the Super Bowl without paying a premium to make Goff go away. I also think Brad Holmes was the only one who could make this happen since he an inside view of the dynamic between Goff and McVay. I don't think he ever viewed Goff as a bridge. That alone would be an indictment on McVay. 

I can't remember any sports trade that benefitted everyone like this one did.  Rams & Stafford got their ring.  Lions got draft picks and used them well and Goff has turned out to be good.   The Rams won the early part and the Lions won the long term, but everyone seems to have won. 

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I agree this turned out great for the Lions and I think the Lions got the better of the trad. My point is I don't think Stafford winning a Super Bowl meant it was a win for the Rams because I believe with better management of Goff they could have built a team capable of winning the Super Bowl without paying a premium to make Goff go away.

While I agree that McVay could have done a better job, you're evaluating the trade based on something that happened, more or less, before it.

1. Rams have McVay as a coach
2. McVay + Goff wasn't working
3. TRADE -> McVay + Stafford worked

If the Rams could magically change McVay and/or Goff to make them work together well at step 2 or maybe even realize that Goff was a very good QB and they should switch out McVay at step 1... then the trade never happens. But by the time we get to step 3 as assume that steps 1 and 2 are locked and evaluate the trade based on the results.

Evaluate step 1: Should the Rams have kept McVay as the coach? Meh... debatable, but they did, so move to step 2.

Evaluate step 2: Should the Rams have found some way to make McVay and Goff work? I would say yes, definitely. But the Rams failed here and didn't make it happen, so move to step 3.

Evaluate step 3: Should the Rams have traded for Stafford? I would say yes because they won a SB with Stafford (et al) and likely would not have if they didn't do the trade.

You're trying to say that step 3 wasn't a good move because they should have done something different in step 1 or 2, and I agree that they should have. But they didn't, so by the time they get to step 3 the trade is the winning move for them.

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

"He will play, you KNOW he will play. He will play on crutches, he will play ..."

I'm not sure I ever enjoyed a non RW focused stanley cup playoff than that year.  It had a lot to do with where I was in life, making decent money for my age, I recall the weather being very nice that spring.... just a good period for me personally and following this added to that.

• Like 1

It may only be 8 hours but we may get lucky and the difference between the game being on Prime Time vs. 1 pm is enough for LaPorta to be ready. 

Like you get up early in the morning to try testing it and it may just not feel right which gives you hesitation about playing but by mid to late afternoon it could feel alot better. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

45 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm not sure I ever enjoyed a non RW focused stanley cup playoff than that year.  It had a lot to do with where I was in life, making decent money for my age, I recall the weather being very nice that spring.... just a good period for me personally and following this added to that.

This was about my peak hockey fandom even though I was only 12 years old.

All throughout grade school baseball and hockey were my two favorite sports and the ones I followed then once I got to middle school all the kids from other elementaries that we joined with were big basketball and football kids so I started getting more involved with that to fit in and hockey basically went on the backburner for me. Even with the Wings winning I really didn't care cause all my friends at the time didn't care about them or hockey so I followed suit 

So yeah that 94 Stanley Cup when I was in my last year of Elementary School was probably the last time hockey was ever in the forefront for me. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I really hope they don't do some sort of tribute to Stafford before the game. He asked the leave. He didn't want to be here. It was 3 years ago. Our guy is Goff now. 

I seriously doubt it. He’d be booed by a large contingent of the fanbase. He’ll be back next season. Schedule something small then.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I really hope they don't do some sort of tribute to Stafford before the game. He asked the leave. He didn't want to be here. It was 3 years ago. Our guy is Goff now. 

No Stafford tribute. No Wolverines tribute (although U of M players in attendance can be shown on big screen and cheered during TV timeouts). Sunday night is 100% about the Lions and their first home playoff game in 30 years. I’m not going to be cheering for JV, my favorite Tigers pitcher ever, if he pitches again in the post-season against the Tigers. 

2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

No Stafford tribute. No Wolverines tribute (although U of M players in attendance can be shown on big screen and cheered during TV timeouts). Sunday night is 100% about the Lions and their first home playoff game in 30 years. I’m not going to be cheering for JV, my favorite Tigers pitcher ever, if he pitches again in the post-season against the Tigers. 

I wouldn't mind if they did a little nod to the Michigan team but we need to get over the long time girlfriend who dumped us for the pretty boy out in LA. We got the pretty boy's sloppy seconds and it turns out she's a great girl who was just underappreciated and not treated right. 

Just looking at the weather forecast and it looks pretty nasty all weekend, the key thing for me was the "watch out for power outages" warning in the one article I read. 

That would be the absolute worst if a big portion of Metro Detroit ends up having to miss the game due to that. 

I’m honestly more than a little worried about this game.  Getting lost in the Stafford/Goff angle is that the Rams have been among the hottest teams in the 2nd half.  They’ve won 7 of their last 8 games with the only loss being the OT loss at the Ravens.   That’s a really impressive stretch.  

McVay is really smart offensive mind and Kerby Joseph is a really instinctive player that can be baited too easily.  I’m afraid they will dial up a few things to take advantage of that aggression.   Kerby needs to focus more on being a true free safety and not letting the ball get behind him more than making big plays on pass catchers.   We can’t afford any more mental breakdowns in the secondary this week.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Thanks 1