2024 NFL Draft

1 hour ago, SkyBlue said:

In that scenario I may have taken the OT that went to GB a pick later more than Verse.

Not a huge fan of King but overall it attacks needs.

I don't know about this mock. The Chargers taking a TE at 11? They just signed their 2nd TE in free agency.

• 4 weeks later...

I know the Lions are good now so there isn't nearly as much draft talk but since we're under 2 weeks now, I'd like to get the pulse of Motownlions to see who you guys like, your draft crush or which positions you prefer that the Lions target.

My crush is Legette, he gives me serious Deebo vibes and he definitely fits the Holmbell grit quota. I know that offensive line and corner are long term needs and short term in the case of corner but I really want to see a playmaker with the 1st rounder whether it be receiver or EDGE rusher. 

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I know the Lions are good now so there isn't nearly as much draft talk but since we're under 2 weeks now, I'd like to get the pulse of Motownlions to see who you guys like, your draft crush or which positions you prefer that the Lions target.

My crush is Legette, he gives me serious Deebo vibes and he definitely fits the Holmbell grit quota. I know that offensive line and corner are long term needs and short term in the case of corner but I really want to see a playmaker with the 1st rounder whether it be receiver or EDGE rusher. 

graham barton.  build the lines.

I really love that we finally have a GM that can draft.  He is definitely going to go BPA.  Even the past three years he has and we had a lot more holes.  The draft is where you find your stars and going BPA is how you find them.  Its very rare to find the franchise player in FA and if you do your going to have to over pay.  FA is where you plug your holes and its so refreshing to finally hear a GM say that.

That being said, it is nearly impossible to predict.   I would love if the Lions could get Latu if he either dropped (because of injuriy concerns) or if they traded up.  Would love to get someone that could take some pressure off of Hutch (so either Robinson would be good if they stayed in their spot).  DT Murphy from Texas is another going around the same range.  I would also be good if we went with a receiver (Thomas, Mitchell).

If I had to make a prediction on the pick I would say Kool-aid.

I'd really like one of those top three edge rushers (Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, or Laiatu Latu (if he passes their med evals)), but I don't think either of the first two within reasonable striking distance for a trade up, and I tend to think that Latu will either not be there (if he's passing many physicals) or will have been medically red flagged (if he's not passing many physicals). Outside those top three there is a pretty stark decline.

Otherwise, I'm hoping one of Quinyon Mitchell, Nate Wiggins, or Cooper DeJean falls enough to move up for, or outright falls to us if we are real lucky. I don't like Kool-Aid, but I think it's mostly because I think his name is stupid and that it's the most popular pick by all the mockers. I also saw Charlie Campbell's scouting report said that he had "poor work ethic" which would probably cross him off entirely if BH/DC heard the same thing.

I would not be opposed to a guy like Brian Thomas Jr. in the 1st, or Keon Coleman, Troy Franklin, or Ja'Lynn Polk in the 2nd.

I'm not going to doubt Holmes if he selects an IOLman at #29, but I'm not a huge fan unless you see a perennial Pro Bowl caliber player for the taking. Guys like Graham Glasgow, Jonah Jackson, and Joe Thuney were all 3rd round guys. There are usually high-caliber starting guards available in the late 2nd and 3rd rounds, which you can't always say about corner and edge.

That all said, my ideal right now is probably:

1) Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

2) Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State

3) Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan

5) Gabriel Murphy, EDGE, UCLA; Grayson Murphy, EDGE, UCLA; Marshawn Kneeland, EDGE, Western Michigan; or Javon Solomon, EDGE, Troy

6+) can we please get a real kicker??

I would do this in tiers...

Mostly, because there are so many players that I really like I don't know who to call as a "favorite" that I want. I have lots of favorites IOW.

So I think the best way I can look at it is in tiers, just like teams do on their draft boards, with "grades" (1st round grade, 2nd, etc...).

A couple other points: My favorite 1st round tier guys will most likely all be gone by the time the Lions pick, so:

A) Maybe Holmes moves up for a guy they really, really want.

B) Letting the draft "come to the Lions" most likely means they're choosing from several guys that are "borderline". Latu maybe because he falls due to injury concerns. Chop Robinson maybe because while he has high-level skills, he's extremely raw. Amarius Mims because teams are scared to draft him with only 8 games college history....?

C) Which tells me... if they have 4 or 5 "borderline" guys that they like, and a team wants to trade from the top of the 2nd and into the late 1st to draft Penix or Bo Nix... or however Holmes can wrangle a trade down for extra picks, then he should do it. If it's a "can't pass him up" guy then draft him. But if there's only a raft of guys they'd rather pick at the top of the 2nd round then... trade down and get extra picks.

That's part of how I'm going to break up the tiers: "Can't pass on him 1st rounder", "Borderline/ Top of the 2nd" guy, "pure 2nd rounder", "3rd rounder", etc...

One last point: Kool-Aid and Wiggins are GARBAGE. They are crappy tacklers and the Lions HATE crappy tackling CB's. They will NOT be drafted by the Lions so why is every mock throwing one of these guys to the Lions? Are they stupid? The Lions have flat out said we DON'T LIKE these guys. (Now watch them draft one of these guys and make me out to be a flat out liar!!!)

But I won't consider them on my draft board, for reasons stated. At all. NOT on my:

1984 LIVES !!! Detroit Lions Draft Board 2024 (maybe I should call that the 1957 LIVES!!! ...?)

1st Round guys, "Can't pass on him if he's there at 29". Holmes may even trade up for one of these guys, IMO (by position):

CB - Quin Mitchell, Cooper DeJean and Terrion Arnold fit here. I see no other CB above "borderline". If one of these guys is there at 29, Holmes seriously considers him. I would especially be pleased with Mitchell or DeJean. 

EDGE - I only see Dallas Turner and Jared Verse as no-doubt 1st rounders, and both will most likely be gone before 15. Too high to trade up for IMO. Only if 1 falls into the 20's should Holmes consider making a move, IMO. Jared Verse is getting mocked sometimes in the 20's... something to think about at least. As for Latu... he may fit here also. But I think his injury history is too treacherous for the Lions to take a chance. I'm giving him a "borderline" grade because... why take the chance when there are "no-doubt" guys in the 1st and a couple other similar guys to Latu that fall into "borderline". I hope they don't consider him until the 2nd round, at least, and only if they add extra picks. Just my 2 cents.

DT - some nice pass-rushing monsters here I would at least consider. The only problem being that they won't see so much field IMO, at first, because it will be Reader and McNeil that dominate snaps. but that could mean bringing along a guy slowly and building up snaps. And may create the most effective interior pass-rush we could manage with: Johnny Newton and Byron Murphy are both "can't pass up" DT's IMO, but look mostly like they are going top 20 picks, so I don't know if they're in reach. There are some smaller guys who look like pass-rushing demons but will probably struggle against the run in the NFL so I don't believe they're more than 2nd round/ borderline guys. Not "can't miss". so to me it's only the above two to consider, if they fall far enough.

WR - Too many WR's to list so I'm only going to list the guys that have a chance to be there around #29. That certainly is not the top 3 guys. I think the Lions should consider Brian Thomas and Adonai Mitchell as WR's they shouldn't pass if available at 29.

OT - Same here, too many to list. Guys I think they would consider Fautanu, Mims (I don't think the Lions are scared of the short track record), Suamataia, Guyton. But with the 2nd-tier OT's, starting with Mims... any or all of these guys could fall into the 2nd so I think Holmes would take the strategic move of passing on them and trading down for extra picks, a strategic risk of getting a higher graded guy with a lower pick because of how the draft falls.

But I'm just guessing.

IOL - I think there are a few guys that they would consider with a 1st. But I have mixed feelings here because I think they can find a similar player in a later round so the value is better later... but... do the Lions agree with that? Watch them draft one of: Jackson Powers-Johnson, Graham Barton or Zach Frazier because they love the player, love the versatility, and love the (gritty) demeanor. I won't squawk if they do... but I think they can get a better value IOL later.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

graham barton.  build the lines.

I like him too or Powers-Johnson as well because in addition to being a good player, a guy like "Powers" is destined to be a great offensive lineman.

I just really want a dynamic playmaker on either side of the ball and Legette is a guy I've always really liked and felt he's been undervalued because he's relatively unproven but....if they want to strengthen the offensive line for the next 10 years I'm good with that.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'd really like one of those top three edge rushers (Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, or Laiatu Latu (if he passes their med evals)), but I don't think either of the first two within reasonable striking distance for a trade up, and I tend to think that Latu will either not be there (if he's passing many physicals) or will have been medically red flagged (if he's not passing many physicals). Outside those top three there is a pretty stark decline.

Otherwise, I'm hoping one of Quinyon Mitchell, Nate Wiggins, or Cooper DeJean falls enough to move up for, or outright falls to us if we are real lucky. I don't like Kool-Aid, but I think it's mostly because I think his name is stupid and that it's the most popular pick by all the mockers. I also saw Charlie Campbell's scouting report said that he had "poor work ethic" which would probably cross him off entirely if BH/DC heard the same thing.

I would not be opposed to a guy like Brian Thomas Jr. in the 1st, or Keon Coleman, Troy Franklin, or Ja'Lynn Polk in the 2nd.

I'm not going to doubt Holmes if he selects an IOLman at #29, but I'm not a huge fan unless you see a perennial Pro Bowl caliber player for the taking. Guys like Graham Glasgow, Jonah Jackson, and Joe Thuney were all 3rd round guys. There are usually high-caliber starting guards available in the late 2nd and 3rd rounds, which you can't always say about corner and edge.

That all said, my ideal right now is probably:

1) Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

2) Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State

3) Zak Zinter, OG, Michigan

5) Gabriel Murphy, EDGE, UCLA; Grayson Murphy, EDGE, UCLA; Marshawn Kneeland, EDGE, Western Michigan; or Javon Solomon, EDGE, Troy

6+) can we please get a real kicker??

Coleman doesn't pass the turd test so I highly doubt he's on the Brad/Dan radar. 

I don't see any of those pass rushers getting out of the teens even (although who knows). Darius Robinson seems like a popular pick for the Lions at 29, I'm a bit skeptical of him though. Not a great sample size of production, same with Chop Robinson.

I agree on guard/center. I know Frank was taken late 1st but I prefer to get those guys in the middle rounds, I want more of a playmaker at 29 whether it's receiver, corner or EDGE.

Edited by NYLion

"Borderline/ Top o' the 2nd round guys":

EDGE - Latu. Chris Braswell. Chop Robinson. Each with flaws/ risk. But definitely a consideration if they trade down. I really don't want these guys in the 1st. I only want to consider them IF we trade down.

DT - Smaller guys with run-defender flaws, but ferocious pass-rush/speed/energy guys on the interior... uncertain if I should call them mid-to-late 2nd rounders or stick them here... but they're here for now. Braden Fiske, Kris Jenkins, Michael Hall Jr., and maybe Darius Robinson (although I think of him as more of a mid-2nd guy...).

One other key point on all of these guys (not just the DT's)... some of them are going to fall to the mid-to-late 2nd round. guys that Holmes might be able to snap up like he did Brian Branch, who probably fell quite a bit further than what his talent ultimately indicated on an NFL field.

CB - TJ Tampa (big/tough/tackles/etc), Max Melton.

WR - Xavier Worthy, Xavier Leggette, Troy Franklin, Keon Coleman. I'm excluding Ladd McConkey because he has some toughness/ physicalness/ athletic/ "beat-the-press" problems which I think rule him out as a Lion. Tremendous route-running and juke skills though... OTHERWISE... those top 4 guys have a lot of talent. And one of them is going to slip into the mid-2nd. There's a lot of value/ X-Receiver skills there though... So I'm hoping Holmes can snag one of these guys... somewhere, somehow.

OT - Jordan Morgan, (this is also where I'd rather trade down to the 2nd to hunt for better talents that fall because of how the draft falls, like Suamataia or Guyton...).

IOL - Christian Haynes.

LB'er - Edgerrin Cooper maybe, but... I just see better value, more impactful, more "Lions" types of players ahead of him. Just about everyone up above him on this list.

2nd Round, mid-to-late:

Safety - If we're considering simply BPA/ "LIONS" type of players... I think Tyler Nubin at safety has to be consideration here. I would file him under "Who did Holmes just grab?!?!?!" If that indeed were to happen...

WR - Does Roman Wilson go here, or higher up? Hard to squeeze him higher based on, simply, sheer numbers. Ja'Lynn Polk is also getting squeezed out by numbers and could easily be top of the 2nd instead of Mid.

EDGE - This is where I would rather look at a Darius Robinson as he's an run "edge-setter" but not an edge pass-rusher. Also: Adisa Isaac and Bralen Trice. Marshawn Kneeland maybe but I think he's more 3rd rounder type.

IOL - Cooper Beebe is graded as a 2nd rounder, IMO.

And I'm not listing anyone else. Either: not a Lions type of player. Or: a QB and we don't need no more of those. Or: more of a 3rd rounder grade IMO and therefore just wait. OR: There are so many borderline type guys that a few fall to within the Lions 2nd round pick (at 61). If not, one of these guys.

Posted (edited)

3rd Round Grade (and our pick is #73 I think so, near the top of the 3rd...):

I'd like to grab a COUPLE steals here. So, I'm all for a trade down that nabs an extra 3rd rounder. TOPS on my list:

IOL - Mason McCormick/ Tanor Bortolini. PICK ONE: out of these two guys that can play guard and center. Sleeper Holmes pick for me. One of them. I think I really have a high-want for McCormick. And also for:

CB - Khyree Jackson. Another Holmes sleeper pick for me. 

Also, others to at least consider:

DT - Brandon Dorlus. Another smallish pass-rushing DT that will struggle against the run. But could still play a key role for the Lions. DeWayne Carter is probably a better pick with more size. Raw though.

WR - Johnny Wilson. At 6'6" he's not much of a separator but more of a glorified TE that walls off smaller CB coverage. Still, might have a skillset that the Lions could utilize. At least a consideration.

RB - Trey Benson. A sneaky talent pick here. I think he's at least a Montgomery and probably has a higher upside (IMO). Not a need. But if Homes/ Campbell fall in love... I'm just sayin'... don't be shocked. Could understudy Montgomery and be a stronger 3rd option behind our top 2 guys, in case of injury, than anyone else we've got on the team. Same with Jonathon Brooks if he falls this far.

Safety - Cole Bishop is an outstanding value in this range.

There's other talent I like in the 3rd round too, G Chris Mahogany, CB Cam Hart, CB Caelen Carson, EDGE Austin Booker, WR Jalen McMillan (maybe, a bit slow), LB'er Junior Colson.

Edited by 1984Echoes

Posted (edited)

So my summary is:

I REALLY want Holmes to trade down.

I think we can get the same talent at the top of the 2nd as at the end of the 1st. The trick is always to find a trade partner. Which Holmes seems to have had no problem whatsoever being able to move around the draft when he wants to...

So... I just see too many good players I'd like on the Lions, at too many positions that... even if a guy isn't an immediate starter... is still a key player to add as an understudy, as a future "dominator", as KEY depth, etc...

I can't be satisfied with 3 guys in the top 3 rounds. I want 4, probably even 5 in the top 3 rounds. Probably not so realistic looking at our draft board (picks) today... but I'm not putting anything past Holmes.

So my GENERAL want list is:

A top playmaker at WR. We could use an X... I'd be satisfied with ANY of Thomas/ Mitchell/ Worthy/ Leggette/ Coleman/ Franklin/ Polk/ Roman Wilson. Which tells me there's more value in trading down for one of these guys in the 2nd and picking up extra picks.

I'd like another Edge rusher, but it's tricky. Jared Verse is the only no-doubter IMO, that is possibly within reach at #29. Everyone else is tricky due to injury history/ raw and undeveloped talent/ or other limitation... so I really don't want to consider anyone outside of Verse until our late 2nd (#61) pick. Maybe it's better to add another interior rusher like Fiske or Jenkins with that later 2nd pick?

CB and IOL are also tricky to me. But are necessary picks. CB because we have a higher need, but I'm seeing 3rd round grades on players I think the Lions would be ecstatic to grab at #73. Cam Hart, Caelen Carson, Khyree Jackson are all guys that I think fit the Lions profile and they would JUMP at selecting here. I am especially high on Khyree. These guys could develop as an understudy for a year or so... and then take over. IOL also because I'm seeing guys I like in the 3rd (getting 3rd/4th round grades), who I think are sleeper picks to back up Guard and Center this year, but actually are talented enough (size/ strength/ nasty streak/ speed at getting to the 2nd level, etc.) to take over a starting spot. And that means even at Center if injuries finally do in Ragnow. And that's important to me, and the Lions IMO, to have IOL coverage, especially for Ragnow, at least as a Plan B guy that can keep us in a playoff race rather than have the O-Line fall apart because of injuries. So this is sort of a need pick... but I see enough TALENT to warrant a pick here: I'm eyeing Bortolini but I especially am high on McCormick (I think I actually misnamed him MacDonald above... I meant McCormick, out of tiny South Dakota State...).

I think there's also the potential for more Holmes' surprise picks, especially if he adds more picks somehow, and I'd be HAPPY to add the talent, regardless, as long as Holmes feels like he is adding some more "Lions types of players" that help us to get even more wins, I won't squawk at all, I promise... which could be anything like another Safety, a RB (that would be a big surprise!), an OT if the right one falls into our range... etc...

Just a few thoughts...

Edited by 1984Echoes

knowing holmes the way we do, it seems more likely that he would trade up from 29 than trade down.  they probably have a limited number of prospects with first round grades and will see if they can trade up to get one if they are the last one left on the list.

• Like 1

knowing holmes the way we do, it seems more likely that he would trade up ...

I agree with this...

Except, I don't think they have enough draft capital to trade up in the 1st. Some moves are too costly. And I believe Holmes takes that, also, into consideration.

...  they probably have a limited number of prospects with first round grades and will see if they can trade up to get... the last one left on the list.

Again, I agree.

But Holmes will calculate not only that, but are there multiple guys he thinks they can get in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and weight the value of going after a 1st round guy, and losing a pick to go get him, versus targeting 4 guys he thinks he can get in the next two rounds, and are they more valuable than 2 guys.

I think he is extremely calculating like that.

IMO... if I were a betting man... I'd wager he trades down like he did with the #6 pick last year so he can go after more guys that he likes in the top 3 rounds.

But we'll see.

Again...

If Jared Verse and/or Cooper DeJean and/or Adonai Mitchell and/or Graham Barton are getting close to #29, I don't think he would pass on any one of them.

If there's only one left, I think he figures out a way to trade up and go get the last guy. But I don't know what that would look like, trade wise.

If we're so lucky that all 4 are sitting there at #27, he probably waits and sees who falls to #29.

Again, we'll see what he has up his sleeve on Thursday night (25th). That's what makes this so fun... watching Holmes pull rabbits...

I know that Brad Holmes is not really a needs first type of drafter. I know he looks for top talent on his board + culture fit for this team when drafting before solely looking at needs. I also know he'll have a big board that will have X amount of players with a first round grade and will be likely to only want to draft one of those players he has a first round grade on at pick 29. Which means if he doesn't have 29 players on his board with a first round grade, I could see him move up to grab one or move back to accumulate picks.

Personally, I'd love for Holmes to balance out focusing on BPA and still manage to address a major need this team has at the CB position. But if all the CBs that have first round grades are gone by the time we're picking at 29 then I think he's looking at his board and picking elsewhere positionally. He won't draft a CB just for the sake of it and. If there is another player, at another position, that Holmes has graded higher, he's picking that guy instead of taking a CB for the sake of need.

All that previously stated, I unless a dynamic edge rusher falls in our lap, I really want us to draft a Corner in light of the Cam Sutton situation. I feel pretty confident that both Quinyon Mitchell and Terrion Arnold will be gone by the time we pick. I also feel both of the top DE/Edge in Turner and Verse will be gone. Barring a big trade up, we aren't drafting either player. These are the players I want for each of the first three rounds,

First Round: My top choices but like gone.

1. Quinyon Mitchell/CB

2. Terrion Arnold/CB

3. Jared Verse/Edge

4. Dallas Turner/Edge

First Round: Players more likely to be there for the Lions.

5. Cooper Dejean/CB

6. Nate Wiggins/CB

7. Laiatu Latu/Edge

8. Kool-Aid McKinstry/CB

9. Jackson Powers-Johnson/IOL

10. Chop Robinson/Edge

11. Zach Fraizer/IOL

12. Adonai Mitchell/WR

13. Brian Thomas Jr./WR

Second Round:

1. Zach Frazier/IOL

2. Keon Coleman/WR

3. Jonah Ellis/Utah

4. Ladd McConkey/WR

5. TJ Tampa/CB

6. Bralen Trice/Edge

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I know that Brad Holmes is not really a needs first type of drafter. I know he looks for top talent on his board + culture fit for this team when drafting before solely looking at needs. I also know he'll have a big board that will have X amount of players with a first round grade and will be likely to only want to draft one of those players he has a first round grade on at pick 29. Which means if he doesn't have 29 players on his board with a first round grade, I could see him move up to grab one or move back to accumulate picks.

Personally, I'd love for Holmes to balance out focusing on BPA and still manage to address a major need this team has at the CB position. But if all the CBs that have first round grades are gone by the time we're picking at 29 then I think he's looking at his board and picking elsewhere positionally. He won't draft a CB just for the sake of it and. If there is another player, at another position, that Holmes has graded higher, he's picking that guy instead of taking a CB for the sake of need.

All that previously stated, I unless a dynamic edge rusher falls in our lap, I really want us to draft a Corner in light of the Cam Sutton situation. I feel pretty confident that both Quinyon Mitchell and Terrion Arnold will be gone by the time we pick. I also feel both of the top DE/Edge in Turner and Verse will be gone. Barring a big trade up, we aren't drafting either player. These are the players I want for each of the first three rounds,

First Round: My top choices but like gone.

1. Quinyon Mitchell/CB

2. Terrion Arnold/CB

3. Jared Verse/Edge

4. Dallas Turner/Edge

First Round: Players more likely to be there for the Lions.

5. Cooper Dejean/CB

6. Nate Wiggins/CB

7. Laiatu Latu/Edge

8. Kool-Aid McKinstry/CB

9. Jackson Powers-Johnson/IOL

10. Chop Robinson/Edge

11. Zach Fraizer/IOL

12. Adonai Mitchell/WR

13. Brian Thomas Jr./WR

Second Round:

1. Zach Frazier/IOL

2. Keon Coleman/WR

3. Jonah Ellis/Utah

4. Ladd McConkey/WR

5. TJ Tampa/CB

6. Bralen Trice/Edge

I think that is pretty much what we are looking at.

I'm going to make a couple of adjustments if you don't mind, using your post:

First Round: But also probably top-20-ish or, costly to trade up for...

1. Brian Thomas Jr./WR - I think he's the next guy after the top 3 so just a guess: he won't make it past 20, and will be costly to trade up for. I see close to 0% chance Holmes would make a move up for him.

First Round: Players more likely to be there for the Lions at 29. Or at least mid-20's so if it's the last guy on Holmes list, he may make a move up for one of these guys:

5. Cooper DeJean/CB - I think this guy is REAL high on the best talent/ best Lions type-of-player fit.

6. Adonai Mitchell/WR - I think this is the one WR who may fall to around our #29 spot that Holmes would ALSO consider drafting. Every other WR, IMO, is no higher than a high 2nd.

7. Graham Barton/OG/OC - I think this guy is ALSO REAL high on the best talent/ best Lions type-of-player fit.

8. Jackson Powers-Johnson/OG/OC - SAME.

9. Chop Robinson/Edge - The one guy with AMAZING athleticism that they might take a chance on. Wasn't as productive as his measurables in college which is the one thing that would give me pause. Do they love him, and does he have enough grit? Maybe they take that chance. If there's not enough there, Holmes passes.

N/A. Nate Wiggins/CB - which is why I have these two CB's here. They don't tackle well. Which means I don't think they're even on the Lions board, or are downgraded quite a bit, to 2nd or 3rd round? I don't think the Lions love either of these guys (and watch the Lions draft one of them and I'm a liar...).

N/A. Kool-Aid McKinstry/CB - 2nd of two not-a-tackler = persona non grata CB.

INJ. Laiatu Latu/Edge - I give him an Injury Grade. I know he was passed medically. But, personally, I don't want to take that chance and I don't want the Lions to take that chance. Don't know what Holmes thinks about that...

Second Round (most of these guys are upper half of the 2nd so at #61 they might not be in position, Trice maybe):

1. Zach Frazier/IOL

2. Keon Coleman/WR

3. Jonah Ellis/Edge

4. Ladd McConkey/WR

5. TJ Tampa/CB

6. Bralen Trice/Edge

Other guys I think they'll consider in the 2nd: Chris Braswell/Marshawn Kneeland-Edge-Rusher; Xavier Legette/Troy Franklin/Roman Wilson/Ja'Lynn Polk-WR, Braden Fiske/ Johnny Newton/ Michael Hall Jr./ Kris Jenkins-DT's, Darius Robinson-DT/DE, Kingsley Suamataia-OT.

I don't know the 2nd round talent as well as the 1st rounders for having a "Lions type of personality"...

But there's a lot of talent there, and also just sliding out of the 2nd and into #73 (our 3rd rounder) to feel like Holmes will be able to grab 3 players that we will come to love in future years...

If I had to put money on it...

Cooper DeJean in the 1st.

Xavier Legette in the 2nd.

Chris Braswell in the 3rd.

After that... I'll leave it up to Holmes to find 5th/6th/7th rounders that he likes.

😉

Although with one of those I'd like a kicker. I like Josh Karty the most with a huge leg, 56 yards his longest this past year, 4-7 from beyond 50 and 7-7 in the 40-49 range.

But just guessin'...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

If I had to put money on it...

Cooper DeJean in the 1st.

Xavier Legette in the 2nd.

Chris Braswell in the 3rd.

After that... I'll leave it up to Holmes to find 5th/6th/7th rounders that he likes.

😉

Although with one of those I'd like a kicker. I like Josh Karty the most with a huge leg, 56 yards his longest this past year, 4-7 from beyond 50 and 7-7 in the 40-49 range.

But just guessin'...

Our kicker is already in Detroit.  

The thing I really like about Holmes is he beats to his own drum.  He isn't influenced or worried about what kind of draft grades he gets.  Because he's made a lot of bold moves, everyone thinks that will continue.  I also think there is a good possibility that he makes a pick the mock drafters have him taking.  The chances that he keeps on finding the diamond in the rough every time is not realistic although his batting average is about as good as it gets with a GM.  He will also make the pick that everyone thinks he should make (like Branch).  As much as everyone says he goes BPA, I also think he does consider position and what the team needs are.  Good thing is there is a lot of depth in positions that we can approve.  I don't say need because when your a good team, you have players at every position that can play.  When your a good team, your looking for depth and upgrades at every position.  There is also thinking about the future and the fact that your not going to be able to sign everyone.  Don't think in this draft he's going to be able to upgrade RB or even really add depth (maybe in the later rounds).  So even though he might have a higher grade for a RB than a CB/Safety, that RB isn't going to be an upgrade over Gibbs or Montgomery although CB's/Safeties, WR's, OL, .....etc have more roster spots.  So there is a better chance for that player to play sooner.  

That being said, I am hoping for 2 defensive players (any combination or CB, Safety, Edge, DT) and one offensive player (WR or OL) in the first three rounds if there are no trades.