2024 NFL Draft

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

He's plenty fast to play corner

The talk of playing safety is cause he is a ball Hawk who can tackle and might be even better as a centerfielder depending on the scheme. 

cause he's white so no one thinks he is fast enough to play corner.

• Thanks 1

It's not just the straightline speed, it's the ability to "flip hips" or handle receivers' double-moves so to speak.

If Holmes drafts him and declares him our "presumed #1 CB" I'm on board.

The only thing I've got to go on is draft rags anyways so... 

I trust Holmes & DC to make the right decisions on guys as they've already shown time & again...

36 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do we think Holmes is going to draft for need this year or will he go BPA, regardless of position?

He will go for BPA, and Lions fans will freak out if the BPA does not align with immediate needs. I prefer that he fill immediate needs through FA and trades, tbh.

This isn't going to happen, but these are players I like.

team-logoDET
pfn-logo
    DET
    Jer'Zhan Newton
    DT Illinois
    DET
    Darius Robinson
    EDGE Missouri
    trade icon
    DET
    Kris Abrams-Draine
    CB Missouri
    trade icon
    DET
    Roman Wilson
    WR Michigan
    DET
    Layden Robinson
    OG Texas A&M
    trade icon
    DET
    Daequan Hardy
    CB Penn State
    trade icon
    DET
    LaDarius Henderson
    OT Michigan
    DET
    A.J. Barner
    TE Michigan
    trade icon
    DET
    Jason Bean
    QB Kansas
    DET
    Gabe Hall
    DT Baylor

12 hours ago, buddha said:

cause he's white so no one thinks he is fast enough to play corner.

Same thing with Campbell at LB. He's white so he's gotta be slow.

I'd love for the Lions to get Dejean but I don't think he'll be there at 29. 

Edited by NYLion

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Do we think Holmes is going to draft for need this year or will he go BPA, regardless of position?

free agency opens before the draft so if he gets DE/Edge and a CB in free agency, then he will have more freedom for BPA, probably still focusing on those 2 spots plus OG and WR later

10 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

Sauce Gardner ran a 4.41 40 at 6'3" 190 lbs.  DeJean is 6'1" 205lbs or so.  There's no way he's faster than Sauce. 

There’s absolutely a way.  

As High Schoolers, Dejean was the Iowa state 100m champ with a time of 11.16.  Sauce ran 11.50 as his PR at Detroit King.   

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There’s absolutely a way.  

As High Schoolers, Dejean was the Iowa state 100m champ with a time of 11.16.  Sauce ran 11.50 as his PR at Detroit King.   

I don't care what either of these guys ran but credit due on some serious level research.

I think the big question is will they go after a big fish in FA or bring in a few affordable types like they have been. I'd like to see them bring in another impact guy for the defense, either at CB or someone who can get to the QB. I know they have a few big contracts coming up though so they may not want to go that route.

If they avoid the big guys in FA they should look into trading up in the first to get a more immediate impact guy.

I don’t know what Dejean is going to run.  Nobody does yet.  We don’t even know his real height and weight.  Colleges lie all the time to make their guys look better.  

Something called nfldraftbuzz.com pulled a 4.50 prediction that appears to have no substantiation.    I see him closer to 4.4 than I do 4.5.  

Edited by Hongbit

36 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

free agency opens before the draft so if he gets DE/Edge and a CB in free agency, then he will have more freedom for BPA, probably still focusing on those 2 spots plus OG and WR later

I like Holmes a lot, but the way they have approached free agency hasn't been to go out and get a top player in the free agent class at any position group. Maybe they thought Sutton and/or Mosley would be worthy of the #1 corner spot, but neither are. Maybe they thought Charles Harris and John Cominsky were the bookend pass rusher to Aiden, but neither of them are.

I'd like to go out and get a Josh Allen (Edge), Brian Burns, Danielle Hunter, Jaylon Johnson, Kendall Fuller type impact starter in free agency. I do worry a bit, I guess, that they'll pass on the A-tier free agents and go get more try hard guys that fit their scheme from the next tier down. So we'll end up with Denico Autry and Adoree Jackson type players instead of an impact playmaker like a Brian Burns or Kendall Fuller. That or they'll bring in an aging veteran like Stephon Gilmore while they draft someone and bring them along behind him. But they won't pay big to bring in an impact playmaker that can be their starter for the next 3-4 seasons.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I like Holmes a lot, but the way they have approached free agency hasn't been to go out and get a top player in the free agent class at any position group.

Right. Most likely Holmes and Campbell believe that as many seasons turn on depth as top line players (Campbell talks a lot about depth) They probably see some competitive advantage to using FAs to build depth at controlled cost while other teams are bidding up the cost of bigger upgrades. That said you hope they are flexible if circumstances warrant.

We saw Bob Quinn over pay for free agents. Impact guys like Allen, Burns and Johnson will be franchised. Not sure what Minnesota will do with Hunter. The Lions have a lot of young players coming up as free agents. You build through the draft and supplement with free agency. 

32 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

Comparing the 100 and the 40 is like comparing  the javelin to the shot put.  

You said there is no way that Cooper Dejean is faster than Sauce Gardner.    

My comparison shows you are wrong and it is very possible.  

• Like 1

I'm always a bit weary of drafting guys early from smaller schools but watching film on him and I'm really liking that DB from Toledo Quinyon Mitchell. Outside of the aforementioned smaller school he seems to have all the boxes checked, good size, speed(apparently a verified 4.3 40) and the type of ball hawking skills you love to see from an early corner as he led the nation in pass break ups in 2022 and 23. 

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

... and the type of ball hawking skills you love to see from an early corner as he led the nation in pass break ups in 2022 and 23. 

Holmes/ DC/ Glenn are huge into the ball-hawking skills. What Mitchell also provides is a hammer in run support (tackling, hitting, etc...). Some CB's are shy with tackling. Others hit willingly and hard.

The speed is important for a CB, the ball-hawking is important to our management/coaching team, but so is tackling ability and willingness.

It's why DeJean would be on the Lions board, and Mitchell and Tampa, etc... but the very weak tacklers this year are (rumored per draft rags...) Wiggins and Kool-Aid.

My guess is if one or both of those CB's fall to the Lions (Wiggins/ Kool-Aid), that the Lions pick someone else, even if they are "rated" lower than those two.

I'm trying to "think" like Holmes/ DC here...