2024 NFL Draft

I'm always a bit weary of drafting guys early from smaller schools but watching film on him and I'm really liking that DB from Toledo Quinyon Mitchell. Outside of the aforementioned smaller school he seems to have all the boxes checked, good size, speed(apparently a verified 4.3 40) and the type of ball hawking skills you love to see from an early corner as he led the nation in pass break ups in 2022 and 23. 

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

... and the type of ball hawking skills you love to see from an early corner as he led the nation in pass break ups in 2022 and 23. 

Holmes/ DC/ Glenn are huge into the ball-hawking skills. What Mitchell also provides is a hammer in run support (tackling, hitting, etc...). Some CB's are shy with tackling. Others hit willingly and hard.

The speed is important for a CB, the ball-hawking is important to our management/coaching team, but so is tackling ability and willingness.

It's why DeJean would be on the Lions board, and Mitchell and Tampa, etc... but the very weak tacklers this year are (rumored per draft rags...) Wiggins and Kool-Aid.

My guess is if one or both of those CB's fall to the Lions (Wiggins/ Kool-Aid), that the Lions pick someone else, even if they are "rated" lower than those two.

I'm trying to "think" like Holmes/ DC here...

16 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

According to what I find online, DeJean runs a 4.5 40 with the average 40 time of a cornerback in the NFL being 4.48.  So while he's not a burner, he seems to have enough speed to do the job.   

High school testing. Guys improve

I've seen every snap he's played, I'm telling you he's plenty fast

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's really a shame the Lions won some meaningless games at the end or else they could have had one of the top CBs in the draft. 

When you don't know what words mean....

We'll see as the process gets further along but there's always guys falling. Last year guys like Joey Porter, Cam Smith and Brian Branch were being thrown around for our 2nd pick most of the draft process and they all lasted to the 2nd round. 

I will say though obviously given how productive our first four picks were last year(well maybe not so much Campbell but I still have high hopes for him) it's hard to be too critical of Holmes but I'd feel alot better at this point if we would've taken a true CB instead of drafting Hooker or Martin. There were still some good ones available at those points last year. 

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

We'll see as the process gets further along but there's always guys falling. Last year guys like Joey Porter, Cam Smith and Brian Branch were being thrown around for our 2nd pick most of the draft process and they all lasted to the 2nd round. 

I will say though obviously given how productive our first four picks were last year(well maybe not so much Campbell but I still have high hopes for him) it's hard to be too critical of Holmes but I'd feel alot better at this point if we would've taken a true CB instead of drafting Hooker or Martin. There were still some good ones available at those points last year. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but I was a Joey Porter Jr. fan last year and a Christian Gonzalez fan. Had they taken Porter Jr. over Campbell I think that would have given us our CB #1 for the future. Oh well, can't ace every pick and Campbell could still be a very solid player.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm guessing if they take Porter they don't take Branch. 

They could have used both.

And it's easier to find a plug at LB'er than a CB1, IMO, so that's the direction I would have gone.

I think the criticism of the Campbell pick is that he was not dynamic enough to be selected at that spot. He has yet to show otherwise. I mean, he may yet...

If he's not Von Miller or Khalil Mack... if he's only another Anzalone... then isn't a CB1 more valuable? Or maybe he turns into a Jerod Mayo and the discussion turns again...

But I'm not going to quibble here... Holmes/ DC are obviously putting together an outstanding team. Which includes Campbell.

Just throwing out a couple of concepts...

I think a Miller or Mack are of the highest value. A true CB1 is probably right at the same level. An Anzalone is certainly not. But a Mayo is...? I don't know... equivalent? Slightly less in modern day pass-happy football? Close enough to not quibble...?

Just... Food for thought.

Free agency is very deep at corner this year. Jaylon Johnson, L'Jarius Sneed, and Kendall Fuller could be signed and instantly be the CB1 on this team, and there are probably a dozen guys who could be signed to be CB2 across from Sutton (who will have hopefully figured it the **** out again by August).

Given the goal next year is a Super Bowl, I don't think they will take a corner at #29, unless one of the top ones fall. Corners more often than not need time to develop (even more so than linebackers). I think they might take an heir apparent in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I think it'll be a plug-and-play edge rusher or DT at #29.

16 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Free agency is very deep at corner this year. Jaylon Johnson, L'Jarius Sneed, and Kendall Fuller could be signed and instantly be the CB1 on this team, and there are probably a dozen guys who could be signed to be CB2 across from Sutton (who will have hopefully figured it the **** out again by August).

Given the goal next year is a Super Bowl, I don't think they will take a corner at #29, unless one of the top ones fall. Corners more often than not need time to develop (even more so than linebackers). I think they might take an heir apparent in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I think it'll be a plug-and-play edge rusher or DT at #29.

This is what I am thinking also... to a (D)T. Or DE.

It's one of the things that I'll believe when I see but Colin Cowherd is saying that Caleb Williams camp told him that they will not play for the Bears if they draft him. I believe Colin cause I think he has alot of USC connections but still skeptical that they will actually stick to that threat. 

26 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's one of the things that I'll believe when I see but Colin Cowherd is saying that Caleb Williams camp told him that they will not play for the Bears if they draft him. I believe Colin cause I think he has alot of USC connections but still skeptical that they will actually stick to that threat. 

This would be such a win-win that I don’t know if was Caleb, the Bears, or the Commanders that leaked it out.    

DC would love to trade up and take the hometown player,  Poles would love to stick with his guy Fields and add a ton of high draft picks to play with over the next two years.    

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

jaylon johnson will not be a free agent.  they will franchise him.

sneed is unlikely to be either, but the chiefs have cap choices to make aince mahomes makes so much money.  dont know about fuller.

the usual rule is that really good players dont make it to free agency. usually, free agency is to build depth and fill holes, not to bring in difference makers.

12 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I would expect Johnson and Sneed to be franchised.

13 hours ago, buddha said:

... sneed is unlikely to be either, but the chiefs have cap choices to make since mahomes makes so much money...

Don't the Chiefs also have Chris Jones as a free agent?

I think that's who gets franchised.

I think Sneed slips into free agency due to Chief's cap woes...

A prime target for the Lions.

But... we'll see.

The Lions won't pay for a free agent of Sneed's caliber and won't meet his likely asking price. We won't be getting A-Tier, top 20 free agents. I think we'll be looking at guys like Stephon Gilmore, Chidobe Awuzie, Kenny Moore, Adoree Jackson at CB. Guys that we can sign to 2-3 year deals that will be more team friendly.