2024 NFL Draft

9 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Glasgow and Jonah are both going to be UFA's, so they will need maybe two guards. Josh Reynolds will also be a free agent, so he might have to be replaced. I think cb is their #1 need. They need top talent there to take a lot of snaps next year. I think the top free agent corners will be franchised, so the Lions need to catch that room up with the rest of the team.

If the Lions think they can get better production from a FA over Josh Reynolds, go for it. Otherwise, I'm sure he would want to stay here with Goff. And our OL knows they're more valuable as a unit than they are individually. I'm sure they would want to stay in Detroit, if we want them. Again, it depends if they think they can get better performance for the same price or not. Something teams need to avoid when they improve is to stay the same. We should always look to be improving.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If the Lions think they can get better production from a FA over Josh Reynolds, go for it. Otherwise, I'm sure he would want to stay here with Goff. And our OL knows they're more valuable as a unit than they are individually. I'm sure they would want to stay in Detroit, if we want them. Again, it depends if they think they can get better performance for the same price or not. Something teams need to avoid when they improve is to stay the same. We should always look to be improving.

Jonah is gone, he's going to get a big contract, and the Lions have to pay others.

Glasgow will be relatively cheap.

Good player for us at OG... top-notch. But he'll be 32 next year and won't command max dollars. Detroit wants him and he wants Detroit. I see a reasonable 3-year contract for him.

Jonah most likely leaving prompted me to push OC/OG need all the way up to the top. The O-Line makes this team go. **** up the O-Line and we **** up the entire season. Is nobody else aware of this? I'm quite happy with Powers-Johnson in the 1st. He could become the immediate starting LG. We have Sorsdal, who still needs some work. Foster in the 5th is another developmental guy who could play OG or possibly RT, if needed. I'd still like to re-sign Jonah... but even if we did, having Powers-Johnson, Foster, and Sorsdal as primary backups solidifies the O-Line for 2024 (TOP priority even given the Dire Straits of our CB's...).

Some teams in cap-hell won't be able to franchise their FA CB. Or will have to choose between two top players, leaving one of them exposed. And players will WANT to come play for Dan Campbell and Detroit. We finally have an edge there.

I like the Chiefs CB the most: Sneed. Get him, live with Sutton as #2 and Branch as nickel, and draft another high round CB to develop, whether that's 1st, 2nd, or a 3rd rounder. There are several guys I like in the 1st, Tampa is usually floating around in the 2nd and I like him hugely in that area, and Khyree Jackson is a fallback guy I like in the 3rd.

We should be able to sign 1 FA pass-rusher. And we can draft a couple more.

Repeat after me:

"I trust in Brad Holmes. I am a believer."

Edited by 1984Echoes

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

Jonah is gone, he's going to get a big contract, and the Lions have to pay others.

And I'm sure Brad will address any personnel losses. Jackson can be replaced thru FA and we can draft OL help. After all the injuries this season, we know this is a good area we need to address. Depth is one thing, quality depth is another.

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's not always black and white like production that determine free agency. He has a value, at a price. I think he'll be an easy sign, like Kalif, and I would expect him to get a contract similar to Kalif.

On 1/18/2024 at 7:26 PM, Cruzer1 said:

Maybe, but considering his injury history, maybe not. He'll definitely get decent money, but I'm not so sure he's getting the huge deal that so many others assume he's gonna get.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:22 PM, Hongbit said:

This pick can’t get any easier.  Checks all of Brad’s boxes even getting value coming off injury.  

IMG_6067.thumb.jpeg.317d98fc438784b22ce074fdf3c7f238.jpeg

He might move to Safety though (at least per some draft reviews...).

The other thing is (since I've been a draftnik since about 1981...) that:

I'm now looking at guys as to whether or not they might be Brad Holmes/ Dan Campbell type guys...

When I read "immensely talented but doesn't always give full effort/ questions on if he truly loves the game/ great cover guy but not a good tackler/ arm tackles a lot and doesn't make much effort to stop the run game...", etc... It gives me great pause on considering them on a draft board. "Will run through a brick wall to get to the runner" makes me think "Hmmm... sounds like a DC guy...".

I think there may be a time to take a chance on an immense talent that might have questionable football character, but Holmes/ DC believe they can give the guy a push and in a strong locker room it'll also boost a player like that. Someone like Jalen Carter, just as an example.

But I don't know if they're ready to do that just yet.

I don't know if or when they will...

So when I'm looking at CB's for example, DeJean is definitely a Holmes/ DC guy. So is Quin Mitchell, Terrion Arnold, Ennis Rakestraw and T.J. Tampa. Hugely aggressive corners, and tacklers/ good in the run game.

But Kool-Aid is not. Not good in the run game. Not a good tackler. That's a Holmes/ DC no-no. Same with Nate Wiggins.

So I'm ruling some guys out if there are certain questions, IMO, that Holmes/ DC would rule the guy out.

Just something to think about for fellow draftniks.

The 40 doesn't matter as much as the football character.

And I like that they are using field-GPS instead of the 40 as well.

• Like 1

I'm putting this here too because it may very well affect the Lions 2024 draft:

Ragnow is not going to the Pro Bowl so he can rest and "figure everything out" after all his injuries this year.

If he retires: What then for the Lions?

If if he doesn't retire... it tells me the team should be "on notice" of that eventuality. And that it may come sooner (even during 2024 dues to not-yet-incurred injuries) rather than later.

Couple rags I was reading stated DeJean would "probably shift to Safety in the NFL"...

I don't know how accurate that is...

But it probably wouldn't help our CB deficiency if that were to become abundantly clear/ true.

I'd be fine with Quin Mitchell.

And there does seem to be some depth at CB this year. May even be able to find another starter in the 3rd (eventually) round. I'll trust Holmes to find 1 or 2 of these guys.

Cam's problem is that he's a no. 2 CB who was tasked with covering everyone's no. 1 receiver. The Lions need to acquire a legit no. 1 CB, and Cam will be fine. Adding to the D-line so they can get pressure with four will help the entire secondary.

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Couple rags I was reading stated DeJean would "probably shift to Safety in the NFL"...

I don't know how accurate that is...

But it probably wouldn't help our CB deficiency if that were to become abundantly clear/ true.

I'd be fine with Quin Mitchell.

And there does seem to be some depth at CB this year. May even be able to find another starter in the 3rd (eventually) round. I'll trust Holmes to find 1 or 2 of these guys.

He's plenty fast to play corner

The talk of playing safety is cause he is a ball Hawk who can tackle and might be even better as a centerfielder depending on the scheme.