2024 NFL Draft

Sorry...

This is probably an inappropriate time but, I just couldn't help myself...

This is my best draft so far using a simulator and a straight up draft rather than crazy trades or anything:

image.png.15e976f8d769c29f488b47eea660c832.png

NOTES: I really wanted TJ Tampa as the CB but he keeps getting drafted right before our 2nd rounder, in the mid-2nd.

Both he and Khyree are bigger CB's that excel at tackling as well as being big, fast, rangy, INT-types of CB's. Sort of what the Lions were trying to get with Melifonwu, even if he ended up at Safety instead. They might be a liability against smaller, shiftier inside WR's... but I think they would prevent some of the "burns" we keep receiving on the outside.

Also: Powers-Johnson becomes the top backup at Center and Guard. Covers for Glasgow and especially Ragnow with his bad toe/ injuries. Also, if we don't re-sign Jonah. And Foster and Sorsdal are both guys that can cover OT as well as OG.

I got two edge rushers (Braswell at OLB and Tupuola-Fetui at situational-DE) and an interior rusher (Jenkins) but since I went for Powers-Johnson in the 1st I wasn't in position for Trice or Tuimoloau (an actual bookend-type DE to match with Hutch...) since they are falling into the early 2nd round area so... I went for the next best thing.

And I got the best college kicker in the 7th.

Edited by 1984Echoes

PS: I really like both Powers-Johnson & Braswell since I believe those two to be Dan Campbell types of players... Biters of Kneecaps and overflowing with Grit.

But we could use another 2nd rounder for Hutch's bookend DE.

Proposal: Commanders have two EARLY 2nd rounders... Trade our 2023 2nd and a 2024 1st for the two early 2nds? That hopefully guarantees Braswell AND one of Trice or Tuimoloau (who I am uncertain as to whether either are Holmes/ DC type of players...). Not certain how that trade balances out value-wise on the charts but we could throw in an extra later round pick if it was required.

Just now, Stanley70 said:

I really hope they address the CB postion in free agency or a big trade. CB's taken at the bottom of the first can take a while to develop unless you get lucky. I'd still take one if they find a guy that they like though. 

I agree with that...

There's a NOW need (FA) and a Develop Need (draft).

We have edges in Paschel as a 4 tech and Houston as a 5. You can usually find an older veteran that can still get to QB at an affordalble price in free agency to rotate in.

I think they need a DT that can get to the QB just as bad as help on the edge. 

I know Holmes doesn't draft for need generally but CB has to be a top priority with one of the first 2 picks. They have absolutely nothing there as a long term solution outside of Sutton who is only a stopgap really. It's arguably the 3rd most position behind QB and LT in a pass happy league, it needs to be addressed this offseason.

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

For whatever reason, I don't think this coaching staff thinks highly of Houston. I'm not sure how aggressive they will be in free agency. They have to do contract extensions for St Brown, Sewell, Goff and possibly McNeil. 

I don't think it's that they don't think highly of him, I think that it's they just see his limitations. He's fantastic at pass rush, but not as great in run defense. He's just something of a rotational player. They really need an edge across from Hutch who can do both.

The staff doesn’t see players like fans do. We complain that they put Houston in pass coverage and Campbell in multiple LB alignments. Then at the end of the season, Campbell is heating up. And in Season 3 Melifonwu is all over the field at safety. Who knows how Houston would have developed this season if he had not been injured. And this fan base was ready to ditch Anzalone but he has turned into a stud under AG.  

Also, the fans have complained about AG and his “adjustments” but his players voted him the top coordinator in the league because he develops them and puts them in positions to succeed. And as the season has closed, his defense is holding teams to about 24 points a game, which is enough for this offense to win games. 

It goes a long way with players when their coaches show faith in them. They did it with a lot of these players, not to mention Goff, and have been rewarded for that faith. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

For whatever reason, I don't think this coaching staff thinks highly of Houston. I'm not sure how aggressive they will be in free agency. They have to do contract extensions for St Brown, Sewell, Goff and possibly McNeil. 

He is an undersized, one trick pony at this point, although it's a superior trick. Whether he can become more than that remains to be seen, but they were adjusting to him.

I haven’t even looked at free agency or draft prospects. Well actually I rage looked at free agents a couple times when Jerry Jacobs got beat earlier this season. But that doesn’t count. Generally, I’m thinking:

Free Agency: Starting cornerback, starting edge, extend Jonah Jackson, re-sign Graham Glasgow, re-sign CJGJ

Draft: Starting pass-rushing DT, future starting cornerback, future starting IOL, backup edge, OT maybe, depth

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I haven’t even looked at free agency or draft prospects. Well actually I rage looked at free agents a couple times when Jerry Jacobs got beat earlier this season. But that doesn’t count. Generally, I’m thinking:

Free Agency: Starting cornerback, starting edge, extend Jonah Jackson, re-sign Graham Glasgow, re-sign CJGJ

Draft: Starting pass-rushing DT, future starting cornerback, future starting IOL, backup edge, OT maybe, depth

I'm thinking exactly along these lines...

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Unless CJGJ comes back on a one year prove it deal, that may be one of those tough decisions the Lions will have to make and let him walk. The Lions have Branch and Melifonwu who are similar players plus Joseph. With young players getting close to free agency, he's probably going to be a cap causality. I was looking at Lions contracts and they have done so well that there aren't any bad contracts to cut even. I could see Tracy Walker being cut. That's $5 million in cap savings. They could resign Goff and spread out his cap hit next year. 

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’m not sure they can afford Jonah.

Goff, Sewell, and St.Brown are all going to need re-ups in the next 2 years.  ASB alone is looking at least a $20M/year bump on what he’s costing the cap now.    They are going to have to not only get creative but will need to let some useful players go and hope to be successful drafting cheaper better versions as they did with Swift and Hock.  

Edited by Hongbit

Goff and St Brown are entering the last year of their contracts so you really need to resign them this offseason. Goff already has the largest cap hit on the team so you can get creative with his extension to open up cap space next year. St Brown's cap hit is only $1 million so that is going up significantly. Decker is also going into the last year of his contract. They will need to figure out the tackle position sooner rather than later. 

Scary to look at the top WR contracts and wonder what ASB is going to get.

Tyler Lockett and Chris Godwin both at $27M/year.  Christian Kirk and Terry McLaurin both at $24M.   Kupp at $29M.  Then there’s arguably the worst contract in the league of Mike Williams at $32M

13 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure they can afford Jonah.

Goff, Sewell, and St.Brown are all going to need re-ups in the next 2 years.  ASB alone is looking at least a $20M/year bump on what he’s costing the cap now.    They are going to have to not only get creative but will need to let some useful players go and hope to be successful drafting cheaper better versions as they did with Swift and Hock.  

I think ideally you are “paying” (as in long-term) no more than three of your OL. Right now that’s Decker and Ragnow. I think my ideal would be that by 2026, it’s Sewell, Ragnow, and Jackson. Your RG can be a mid-round draft pick and your RT can be a higher-end draft pick.

I agree that decisions will have to be made. CJGJ may be on the chopping block. It’s possible Jackson would be too. I do think though that the OL is the heart of the success of this team this year though. With a line of Decker/Jackson/Ragnow/Glasgow/Sewell, the Lions have only lost one game, and it was the Cowboys BS game. Maintaining that level of success on the line is critically important, whether it’s in-house or by adding pieces in the draft or free agency.

draft comes after free agency, so presumably in free agency they first get DE/Edge opposite Hutch and a starting CB.

resigning both JJ and GG is key, even if it means not addressing every other area - look at what Goff does when all 5 are available.

then BH has 4 of the top 93 picks and he has had only a few misses