2024 NFL Draft

On 3/3/2024 at 1:08 PM, 1984Echoes said:

The first bolded part is not correct.

You guys are confused.

The second bolded part is what these guys keep saying, over and over and over...

I think we're all largely on the same page here, just saying it in different terms. I have said in this thread and others, that I think they draft for talent and culture fit, but that the culture has to fit in order for the talent to be considered. I've used Jalen Carter as a recent example of. If a guy like Carter is supremely talented and checks that box, but doesn't check the culture fit box, they will pass on him every time.

The player they are looking to draft has to have a coachable attitude and be willing to learn from the staff. They have to love/respect/value football as much as they do. Otherwise, they're not going to get drafted, regardless of talent level. Players like an Antonio Brown, Chase Young, Jalen Carter, Vontez Burfict, etc. would never get drafted by this organization, as much as we the fan may want a guy like that because they simply don't fit the culture.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think we're all largely on the same page here, just saying it in different terms....

I've come to exactly the same conclusion.

I mentioned it earlier...

We're saying the same thing but in different ways...

Great minds and such...

On 2/3/2024 at 11:38 AM, MichiganCardinal said:

Free agency is very deep at corner this year. Jaylon Johnson, L'Jarius Sneed, and Kendall Fuller could be signed and instantly be the CB1 on this team, and there are probably a dozen guys who could be signed to be CB2 across from Sutton (who will have hopefully figured it the **** out again by August).

Given the goal next year is a Super Bowl, I don't think they will take a corner at #29, unless one of the top ones fall. Corners more often than not need time to develop (even more so than linebackers). I think they might take an heir apparent in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I think it'll be a plug-and-play edge rusher or DT at #29.

This generally isn't how the Lions draft though, in terms of plug and play and need. The Lions are one of the most unpredictable drafting teams (outside of the obvious Hutch and Sewell picks) because they don't care about need, NFL readiness or positional importance. They simply take talented guys that fit their culture, they're very big on the culture thing in particular, so outside of QB I think any position is up for grabs with the 1st round pick and that's at the oft chance that Holmes actually drafts at 29. I'd say that the only likelihoods that we can almost say for certain is that the Lions won't take a QB or RB with their first pick wherever that lands or any player with even a hint of turd in them.

Edited by NYLion

On 3/3/2024 at 1:08 PM, 1984Echoes said:

The first bolded part is not correct.

You guys are confused.

The second bolded part is what these guys keep saying, over and over and over...

It's not the highest talent, or RAS, or "graded" player.

It is exactly correct. You are confused. The Lions will take the highest graded player, their grades having factored in all values, including positional value (to them), character, work ethic, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

... The Lions will take the highest graded player, their grades having factored in all values, including positional value (to them), character, work ethic, etc.

You just regurgitated everything that I said... exactly.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

You just regurgitated everything that I said... exactly.

Tater said, "they're always going to take the talent that grades out higher. "

You said, nope, wrong, he was confused. He was exactly correct.

Along with his physical measurables he also posted the best 3 cone drill of any QB(6th among all players) and one of the best for a QB period in the past 10 years so that showed his elite athleticism. Also threw it 61mph, 2nd only to Milton(62) and again one of the best ever at the combine barely behind Josh Allen's 63 so he answered any doubt about his arm strength if there were any. 

He did miss some throws though but he also was throwing to an unfamiliar target so that couldve effected his timing a bit.

Despite that though I think his combine performance puts him in the QB3 discussion and barring something crazy atleast a top 15 pick. 

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Along with his physical measurables he also posted the best 3 cone drill of any QB(6th among all players) and one of the best for a QB period in the past 10 years so that showed his elite athleticism. Also threw it 61mph, 2nd only to Milton(62) and again one of the best ever at the combine barely behind Josh Allen's 63 so he answered any doubt about his arm strength if there were any. 

He did miss some throws though but he also was throwing to an unfamiliar target so that couldve effected his timing a bit.

Despite that though I think his combine performance puts him in the QB3 discussion and barring something crazy atleast a top 15 pick. 

I think the unknown for JJ is where the ceiling is on his deep ball accuracy and he just doesn't have enough attempts to have a sure projection. He just wasn't asked to show it much. So maybe he goes to a team that designs the O around what he can do now, which is a fair amount, and they hope the rest develops in a few seasons and they have a top QB.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

though remember fans and analysts can overrated and overvalue qbs. Remember at this time last year wasn't will levis like a lock to go in the top 10?

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

though remember fans and analysts can overrated and overvalue qbs. Remember at this time last year wasn't will levis like a lock to go in the top 10?

haha I swear I was gonna end my post with the caveat of Will Levis but I didn't cause I couldn't remember exactly how he was viewed this time last year.

8 hours ago, KL2 said:

Absolutely correct but the same goes for Trey Lance and Anthony Richardson, who nobody thought would go top 4 until much closer to draft night.  

Edited by Hongbit

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think any other massive free agent signings are coming. I expect us to sign a guard, likely Kevin Zeitler or Greg Van Roten, on a one-year deal; a WR, likely Josh Reynolds, DJ Chark, Mike Williams, or Michael Thomas on a one-year deal; and maybe some defensive depth, particularly in the secondary, guys like Kamren Curl or Tre'Davious White would fit the bill.

My preferences with the draft...

1. Trade for an instant playmaker. This could be either a trade up in the draft or a trade for someone like Tee Higgins, Josh Sweat, or Haasan Reddick. In any event, the team is closer than they've been in franchise history to being a perennial Super Bowl contender. There is no reason to beat around the bush or to draft guys as "projects" right now (unless you're damn sure that that project is going to work out). Go get the guy or guys who will put you over the top.

2. Edge Rusher. I think this is where I would most prefer us add a 1st round talent, though there are only a couple names that likely qualify (Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, and Laiatu Latu). I think the addition of Reader next to Alim is a great start to fixing the defensive line, but we now need a true long-term bookend to Hutchinson, to unleash (what I see as) his true potential as a 15+ sack a year edge rusher... No more revolving door of mediocrity between the Okwaras and Charles Harris... This overlaps with #1 above, but I would like to see us go get one of those top three edge rushers if they fall out of the top twenty. I don't think Davenport's one-year deal forecloses this either.

3. Offensive Guard. Even with a signing of Zeitler or Van Roten (which really should happen), I think IOL will be the most glaring "need" of the team going into the draft. Guard is not a position where you need a top ten pick to find a quality long-term starter, which is good. The two best OG prospects I see were OTs in college (Taliese Fuaga and Troy Fautanu). They could pick them up and spend 2024 transitioning them to LG or RG, depending on where they want Glasgow. They could also use them as a long-term plan for RT when Decker leaves. Given they are tweeners, they could possibly slide to #29 despite being top-20 talents.

Otherwise, there will be a plethora of options at #61 and #73. Layden Robinson, Graham Barton, Cooper Beebe, Zak Zinter, and Zach Frazier all make sense, are all potential high quality starting OGs, and I would expect more than one of them to be available at #61 and at least one to be there at #73.

4. Secondary depth. I expect Carlton Davis to receive an extension in the next month or so. He's only 28, in a contract year, and is coming off his worst year, making him something of a buy-low extension candidate. Obviously the Lions like him or they wouldn't have used a "starting" draft pick to trade for him. Add onto that that he currently stands at the 3rd highest cap hit on the team and I think it would make sense to give him an extra year or two and spread that cap hit out. That being said, I don't think the Lions are going to be seeking a CB1 in the draft. I think they view Sutton and Davis as CB1a and CB1b, and will align them game by game as they see fit, with Branch at NB, Kerby at FS, and Iffy at SS.

That being said, that still feels incredibly perilous. Behind that group, you have guys like Moseley and Amik Robertson at corner, but you really have nothing at safety depth. You don't want to risk an injury there (like how CJGJ suffered one) and having nothing behind them. Further, Kerby has had cold streaks, and you can't say with 100% certainty that Iffy's late dramatic improvement is here to stay. They need to add something to that group in terms of depth. If you're gift wrapped Cooper DeJean at #29 I think you have to seriously consider it, but otherwise guys like Javon Bullard and Kamren Kitchens make sense in the 2nd and 3rd, or just depth later on. Jaden Hicks out of Wazzu is a Dan Campbell guy to keep an eye on.

5. Depth. Can never have enough of it.

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

Latu retired from college football once already because of injury, i wouldnt take him at 29 much less trade up for him.

He didn’t retire, he was told by a set of doctors he would be forced to, which a second opinion disagreed with. He hasn’t missed a game in two seasons at UCLA. If the team doctors clear him I don’t see an issue. 

45 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

He didn’t retire, he was told by a set of doctors he would be forced to, which a second opinion disagreed with. He hasn’t missed a game in two seasons at UCLA. If the team doctors clear him I don’t see an issue. 

no thanks.  

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

no thanks.  

I would just err on the team doctor's prognosis. One hit could end any player's NFL career.

If they say "yeah he's played fine for the last two years but he's definitely more susceptible to a career-ending neck injury in the next five years", I'm with you, 100%.

If they say, "I don't know what those first doctors saw, there is no reason he can't play a long NFL career", then go get the talent.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I would just err on the team doctor's prognosis. One hit could end any player's NFL career.

If they say "yeah he's played fine for the last two years but he's definitely more susceptible to a career-ending neck injury in the next five years", I'm with you, 100%.

If they say, "I don't know what those first doctors saw, there is no reason he can't play a long NFL career", then go get the talent.

latu was injured in 2020 and medically retired for two years.  he had neck fusion surgery.

ymmv, your doctor's mileage may vary.  but that's way too risky for me.  

maurice hearst fell to round 5 because of a heart murmur.  if latu is there in round 5, i say we take him.

• Like 1