2024 NFL Draft

If he somehow was able to gain some extra picks in the top 3 rounds... and the RB's are falling... I could see him using a 3rd round pick on Benson or Brooks if they fall that far... 

With just 3 picks in the top 3, I think there are O-Lineman who will be ranked higher on his board... 

But I wouldn't put it past him if he were able to get another pick or two to use...

11 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

If I had to put money on it...

Cooper DeJean in the 1st.

Xavier Legette in the 2nd.

Chris Braswell in the 3rd.

After that... I'll leave it up to Holmes to find 5th/6th/7th rounders that he likes.

😉

Although with one of those I'd like a kicker. I like Josh Karty the most with a huge leg, 56 yards his longest this past year, 4-7 from beyond 50 and 7-7 in the 40-49 range.

But just guessin'...

It's extremely unlikely that DeJean is there at 29 and that Legette will be there at 61. I'd have no issue taking Legette at 29 tbh.

I forget which: Walter Football or Bleacher Report... has Legette mocked to the Lions at 61.

At this point... I'm ready to expect anything because like every draft... players inexplicably fall that weren't supposed to, surprises are taken higher than anyone thought all over the draft... so I'm just placing my guesses and wherever the chips fall in the real draft...

We'll see.

PS: Brian Branch was supposed to be a 1st rounder (I thought a top-15/20 guy) and the Lions snagged him in the 2nd. That was a bit of a shocker to me, but it happened.

PPS: Even if it's not Legette, this draft is loaded with receivers so (a) someone is going to fall to the Lions at 61, simply by the numbers, (b) I actually agree with you you, I have a hard time seeing Legette as the WR that falls to that spot... and (c) Again, with WR so loaded this year, I think an extremely talented WR will be there at 61, no matter whom that is. 

But my preference is definitely Legette over all the other names (😉) ... The only guy I like more is Adonai Mitchell in the 1st.

Brugler at the Athletic did an entire 7 round draft; Lions trade down with Raiders picking up a 2 and a 3 for a 1.

2 (44). Zach Frazier, G/C, West Virginia
2 (61). Braden Fiske, DT, Florida State
3 (73). Ja’Lynn Polk, WR, Washington
3 (77). Caelen Carson, CB, Wake Forest
5 (164). Braiden McGregor, Edge, Michigan
6 (201). Will Reichard, K, Alabama
6 (205). Sione Vaki, S, Utah
7 (249). Johnny Dixon, CB, Penn State

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Brugler at the Athletic did an entire 7 round draft; Lions trade down with Raiders picking up a 2 and a 3 for a 1.

I LOVE this draft!!!

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

PS: Who did the Raiders pick? Penix?

23 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

N/A. Nate Wiggins/CB - which is why I have these two CB's here. They don't tackle well. Which means I don't think they're even on the Lions board, or are downgraded quite a bit, to 2nd or 3rd round? I don't think the Lions love either of these guys (and watch the Lions draft one of them and I'm a liar...).

N/A. Kool-Aid McKinstry/CB - 2nd of two not-a-tackler = persona non grata CB.

INJ. Laiatu Latu/Edge - I give him an Injury Grade. I know he was passed medically. But, personally, I don't want to take that chance and I don't want the Lions to take that chance. Don't know what Holmes thinks about that...

Maybe I am not taking into account enough the "culture fit" or "try hard" aspects of players like Wiggins and McKinstry. So if they are "poor tacklers" because they simply don't try hard enough or don't bring a coachable attitude to the table. Then I agree, they are off the board. But its a tackling issue that can be coached up and fixed, if these guys are willing to be mentored and coached, I think Holmes might take the risk.

Wiggins in particular has all the things you cannot teach. He's 6'1 with missile like speed having run a crazy fast 4.28 at the combine and has a 9.43 RAS score. In scouting reports I've read he can also play outside man coverage, which is something Aaron Glenn is going to really value in a player. I think he could be on the board for the Lions at 29.

One thing I did notice in looking over all the players the Lions have either visited with or hosted for an interview, Wiggins is not on that list but Kool-Aid is. So maybe Kool-Aid is the guy I should be arguing for more than Wiggins seeing as they hosted him and not Wiggins. McKinstry had a lower RAS score at 7.54 and ran a 4.47 40 time. I don't see the explosive athleticism as much as I do with Wiggins.

Regarding Latu, it looks like the Lions have also not hosted him for a visit or met with him. I don't think his injury history would scare Holmes off. To the contrary, he's just the type of guy Holmes would want. I've also seen scouting reports that say he is a hard nosed and mature player with a well-rounded game. He seems to check the culture box that Holmes and Campbell will love.

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I LOVE this draft!!!

Except... I took a second look and would want to rejigger a couple things:

The original (with some thoughts...)

2 (44). Zach Frazier, C, WVU - I like the IDEA of Frazier but I think he's a RANKING problem.
Holmes has different ranking criteria and I think he LOVES Barton, JPJ, and McCORMICK. Not Frazier.
2 (61). Braden Fiske, DT, FSU - Yes.
3 (73). Ja’Lynn Polk, WR, Washington - See below.
3 (77). Caelen Carson, CB, Wake Forest - I think Holmes LOVES a couple CB's more than Carson (see below):

So I made some "adjustments" to this:

After the trade down with the Steelers, I think the draft goes like this:

#44 Xavier Legette, WR, 6'1" 220 4.39 40, S Carolina - True X receiver. Big and FAST. TOUGH. Holmes = PERFECT!

#61 Braden Fiske, DT, 6'4" 292 4.78 40, FSU - FAST and RELENTLESS. Will be rotational/pass-rusher; Lions Fit = HUGE!

#73 Chris Braswell, OLB, 6'3" 255 4.60 40, Alabama - Maxx Crosby wannabe. "Work ethic off-the-charts". Holmes = YES!

#77 Mason McCormick, OG/C, 6'4" 310 5.10 40, S Dakota - 10.0 RAS grade as Center. Big, fast, powerful. Dominates the run. Holmes = PERFECT!

Right here, I'm going to throw in a curveball: I'm going to trade our 5th, 6th (#201), 7th and a 2025 3rd to the Chargers for their two 4th rounders, #'s 105 and 110. And select:

#105 Cam Hart, CB, 6'3" 202 4.50 40, Notre Dame

#110 Khyree Jackson, CB/Safety, 6'3" 195 4.50 40, Oregon

#205 Will Reichard, K, Alabama

So from Brugler's original draft:

This is where I ended up:

2 (44) Xavier Legette, WR, 6'1" 220 4.39 40, S Carolina

2 (61) Braden Fiske, DT, 6'4" 292 4.78 40, FSU

3 (73) Chris Braswell, OLB, 6'3" 255 4.60 40, Alabama

3 (77) Mason McCormick, OG/C, 6'4" 310 5.10 40, S Dakota

4 (105) Cam Hart, CB, 6'3" 202 4.50 40, Notre Dame

4 (110) Khyree Jackson, CB/Safety, 6'3" 195 4.50 40, Oregon

6 (205) Will Reichard, K, Alabama

I thought as well for a while that there is no way the Lions trade out of the first round when they are drafting.  After more thought, with this regime there are no hand cuffs.  So if its the right move, Holmes would trade out of the first round.  Now if I were to make a bet if they stay at 29, trade up, or trade down.  I would say they stay at 29.  It's impossible to know because there are so many factors.  How many players have Holmes 1rst round grades is I think the most important.  Last year I think they had 12 players (correct me if I am wrong) with first round grades.  If its something similar (or less) and those players are getting drafted, I think they will trade up if it doesn't cost them too much.  If they feel like this draft is top heavy but has depth, I think they will trade down.  I know every draft is different but I felt the Minnesota trade to get Jaymo didn't cost them that much.  Although they had that early 2nd round pick and a lot of draft capital.  Now if they have a lot of players that are 1rst round grades that they feel others don't, then I think they will stay at 29.  I don't remember or not sure if they told us, but did they consider LaPorta and Branch first round grades?

I think they stay at 29 and take Kool-Aid McKinstry.    They play a ton of man coverage and he’s the best man corner in the draft.  They have also shown to really like drafting players from Alabama.    It almost seems too obvious which is why it will probably end up being one of the IOL.  

So I did two mock drafts, one with trades and one without trades. In the one with trades I ended up trading back out of the first round with Carolina. Then I traded with Washington and sent the second round pick at 61 and the third round pick at 71 that I acquired in the Carolina trade to move back up to pick 40. I drafted a player I am not really high on, but thought Brad Holmes might be and drafted Darius Robinson.

Draft with trades

35. Xavier Worthy/WR, Texas

40. Darius Robinson/Edge, Missouri

71. Caelen Carson/CB, Wake Forest

201. Dylan McMahon/OG, NC State

205. AJ Barner/TE, Michigan

249. Kingsley Eguakun/OC, Florida

Draft without trades

29. Tyler Guyton/OT, Oklahoma

61. Ennis Rakestraw Jr./CB, Missouri

73. Devontez Walker/WR, North Carolina

164. Gabe Hall/DT, Baylor

201. Sataoa Laumea/OG, Utah

205. Cornelius Johnson/WR, Michigan

249. Joshua Karty/K, Stanford

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I think they stay at 29 and take Kool-Aid McKinstry.    They play a ton of man coverage and he’s the best man corner in the draft.  They have also shown to really like drafting players from Alabama.    It almost seems too obvious which is why it will probably end up being one of the IOL.  

Holmes has made multiple draft day trades every season. Even if he does keep #29, he still may make other trades that throw all the draft predictions out the window. About the only thing we can predict is that he'll be unpredictable.

On 4/17/2024 at 8:51 PM, Tenacious D said:

Would be ironic to see the Lions trade out of the 1st round the first time that they host the draft.

I like that Holmes has already said that he might need to apologize if he trades out of rd. 1. Shows some great awareness and understanding of the fan point of view. 

On 4/18/2024 at 7:29 AM, Hongbit said:

Apparently there's issues with his work ethic and that he's not a willing tackler. If true and it's a big IF because draft rumors are usually grains of salt, there's zero chance that he's on the Lions board at all. Holmes is unpredictable in terms of his draft board vs. the consensus and trade ups/downs but in terms of the type of player he likes, he's very predictable. If the player doesn't love and breathe football and doesn't have the necessary grit, he will not be taken by the Detroit Lions. 

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Kool-Aid:

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Apparently there's issues with his work ethic and he's not a willing tackler. If true ... there's zero chance that he's on the Lions board at all. Holmes is unpredictable in terms of ...but in terms of the type of player he likes, he's very predictable. If the player doesn't love and breathe football and doesn't have the necessary grit, he will not be taken by the Detroit Lions. 

I keep saying this...

14 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Apparently there's issues with his work ethic and that he's not a willing tackler. If true and it's a big IF because draft rumors are usually grains of salt,

Another note to throw in the mix is that Saban complained about the players on this team on his way out the door. Might just be be sour grapes on his part, or maybe he wasn't getting as much of the kind of player he wanted recently.

• Like 1

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

I passed the I-94 DETROIT sign today... It wasn't as bad as it looked in pictures.

The first pictures of the actual sign were before any secondary work they did on it. I see they've added a small fence and some lighting. It's the process, as usual most people don't understand

13 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The first pictures of the actual sign were before any secondary work they did on it. I see they've added a small fence and some lighting. It's the process, as usual most people don't understand

It looked like some mulch was added around the letters too today which was a nice touch.

• Like 1