Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

21 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You know what that's going to cost.   No more free NFL game on TV - in the near future.     It's coming. 

Christmas Day...2 NFL games, streaming on Netflix. Thursday Night games, on Amazon Prime. Those no "more free games" are already here.

If Goff plays this entire contract with the Lions and at a high level, he has a shot at Stafford's team passing records. Stafford played 12 seasons but he missed most of the first two. Goff will be 34 at the end of the contract and still in a line for a 2-3 year extension. 

This is more than I wanted to pay.  Not because he didn't deserve it but I was hoping Goff was the kind of guy wanting to pay more towards the rest of the team since this is his 3rd contract.  That being said, I thought it would be around this and a year from now it won't be that bad.  I am just happy this deal is done before the season started.

Goff became a big fan favorite because he was a very good QB after another team didn't want him and was actually willing to give us draft picks to take him.  Things change now that the Lions gave him a contract.  He is no longer Cinderella but the actual King and with that will come more criticism.  He can take it and really besides Mahomes all QBs get that after they get a big contract. 

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This is more than I wanted to pay.  Not because he didn't deserve it but I was hoping Goff was the kind of guy wanting to pay more towards the rest of the team since this is his 3rd contract.  That being said, I thought it would be around this and a year from now it won't be that bad.  I am just happy this deal is done before the season started.

Goff became a big fan favorite because he was a very good QB after another team didn't want him and was actually willing to give us draft picks to take him.  Things change now that the Lions gave him a contract.  He is no longer Cinderella but the actual King and with that will come more criticism.  He can take it and really besides Mahomes all QBs get that after they get a big contract. 

Pretty much agree 100%. I hoped he'd take less, but he's under absolutely no obligation to take less. He's earn his pay day and this is a fair payday imho.

What's going to be interesting here is what happens with Hendon Hooker? Given that he was relatively old coming out of college, and now will be sitting for 4 more year (barring injury) what does he want? What do the Lions want from him? Does it make sense to test the waters of a trade? I still see some value in Hooker. For example, it's great to have a mobile QB for the defense to practice against, but I'm sure you can get that on the cheap.

The reality is that Hooker is likely not going to get much value in a trade though without any real NFL experience to see if he's a NFL level QB. And that's likely (hopefully) not happening in Detroit anytime soon.

I don't see the Lions making any decisions on Hooker next season.  A lot depends on what they feel like they have with him.  The Goff signing doesn't say anything about Hooker.  Even if they thought Hooker was a possible star in this league, they still had to sign Goff.   The Lions are a Super Bowl contender, they had no choice but to go with the team (QB) that got them to the conference championship.  I feel like decisions with Hooker will be after next season.  If they feel like they have a player like Love that can learn and take over than more difficult decisions will have to be made.  This team will be Goff's as long as this team competes for a Championship.  He earned the shot to take them to one regardless what kind of player Hooker is. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

It will be interesting to see how it is structured. I would like to believe that if JG and don't forget his agent, did not 'pay more towards the rest of the team' in terms of total contract amounts, they were willing to structure it in it a team friendly manner, whatever that looks like with 170M guaranteed. 😲  With that, I will depend on the more astute cap guys here to explain that when it becomes known.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

And that's likely (hopefully) not happening in Detroit anytime soon.

what a good (maybe great) problem to have; so lots of exhibition game snaps; and some blowout win 4th quarter snaps; but would not put it past Johsnon to find a package of a few plays for him; just to give defenses more to worry about during the week; and maybe in 2 years they move him for picks; but maybe not as a bunch of back up QBs have won the Super Bowl

The contract is a lot of money but Goff has earned it and what else can the Lions do really? This guy led the Lions, THE LIONS, to the NFC Championship game and probably the Superbowl if Reynolds fingers didn't magically turn into butter on that fateful day so he's well worth it and he might not even be a top 10 paid NFL QB in 2-3 years so it's all good with me. This is a market where Cousins, who is 6 years older than Goff, got 4 years $180m. QBs are getting that cheddah, fat stacks.

Everywhere Goff has gone, the team has gotten better. Cal was a bad program when Goff arrived and by the end they were in a bowl game. The Rams hadn't had a winning season in 13 years before they drafted Goff. By year three they were in the Super Bowl. The Lions hadn't won a division in 30 years and a playoff game in 32 years. By year three they did both. It seems like three years is the tipping point for Goff. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

The contract is a lot of money but Goff has earned it and what else can the Lions do really? This guy led the Lions, THE LIONS, to the NFC Championship game and probably the Superbowl if Reynolds fingers didn't magically turn into butter on that fateful day so he's well worth it and he might not even be a top 10 paid NFL QB in 2-3 years so it's all good with me. This is a market where Cousins, who is 6 years older than Goff, got 4 years $180m. QBs are getting that cheddah, fat stacks.

Exactly. Any time there's a group of Detroiters gathered, whether it's a baseball, hockey or basketball game, they chant his name. No way would the Lions not sign him. It was almost like the fans demanded it.

The Rams forum is convinced they are playing on Thanksgiving. It doesn't make sense though. That would be 9:30 AM in Los Angeles. When is the last time the Lions played a west coast team on Thanksgiving? I think it will be Chicago. Lions and Rams have to be a Monday Night game. 

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

... What's going to be interesting here is what happens with Hendon Hooker? Given that he was relatively old coming out of college, and now will be sitting for 4 more year (barring injury) what does he want? What do the Lions want from him? Does it make sense ...

You keep him.

As a Super Bowl potential team, who do you want as a backup if Goff should get nicked up a few games, or miss a playoff game, or worst-case the remainder of a season?

Nate Sudfeld?

Or Hendon Hooker?

IMO, Hooker is an awesome best-case backup for at least the next 3 years. Full stop.

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

IMO, Hooker is an awesome best-case backup for at least the next 3 years. Full stop.

Is he though? We really don't know anything about him. Now, there is a gigantic caveat here: The coaches do know him, at least significantly more than we as fans do. But even the coaches hasn't seen him in game in the NFL, and (hopefully) never will need to anytime soon. Add in that Hooker will be a very different style of player (more scrambling/mobility) and it would be potentially harder to transition to Hooker on the fly if we needed to.

In my humble opinion the best-case backup would be a QB who has a similar skill set as Goff does and has a track record of NFL experience. That's not Hooker.

Ultimately I'll defer to the Lions staff on this... they know him and the team far better than me so I'm not trying to say they should do X or Y or whatever. I'm just speculating: Hooker was a developmental guy who they could groom to replace Goff if they needed to. Now it's clear they don't need to or certainly don't intend to.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff's contract is really a 3 year deal and seems front loaded.

So assuming they added a void year, the signing bonus allocation would be just over $12 mil per year (this year, the 4 year extension and the void year)

so if they need to move on him after year 3, there would be 24.3 mil in SB allocation left plus it appears $5 mil in guaranteed $ so a total of around $29 million dead money that could be spread over 2 years-very manageable.   If they didn’t add a void year, the annual bonus allocation goes up to $14.6 million which means the dead money would be left after year 3 of the extension (4years from now) would be $19.6 million (assuming $5 million of the last year is guaranteed to get to the total $170 guaranteed)

Obviously he may be restructured throughout which may affect the ending cap hit, but it could be very manageable at the end.  He will also still only be Cousin’s age in 6 years to it may be extended again.

59 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Add in that Hooker will be a very different style of player (more scrambling/mobility) and it would be potentially harder to transition to Hooker on the fly if we needed to.

Living in Knoxville I can tell you that he is a much better passer than runner.  He can run/scramble but this not what made him SEC player of the year.  He is accurate and makes good decisions.  I say this lightly...like an Aaron Rodgers type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Is he though? We really don't know anything about him. Now, there is a gigantic caveat here: The coaches do know him, at least significantly more than we as fans do. But even the coaches hasn't seen him in game in the NFL, and (hopefully) never will need to anytime soon. Add in that Hooker will be a very different style of player (more scrambling/mobility) and it would be potentially harder to transition to Hooker on the fly if we needed to.

In my humble opinion the best-case backup would be a QB who has a similar skill set as Goff does and has a track record of NFL experience. That's not Hooker.

Ultimately I'll defer to the Lions staff on this... they know him and the team far better than me so I'm not trying to say they should do X or Y or whatever. I'm just speculating: Hooker was a developmental guy who they could groom to replace Goff if they needed to. Now it's clear they don't need to or certainly don't intend to.

Hopefully, the Lions will be beating some teams so bad in the 4th quarter, we'll get to see Hooker.