Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Where is this Ragnow retirement talk coming from? Did one of the beat writers or NFL insiders report it?

No, he said he had to take time to figure out how to deal with his various injuries, nothing about retirement.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

In past years, it was easier to predict the Lions pick. It was so close to the top, we had our choice of top players. Not quite so easy now, we'll just have to trust the guy who has quickly drafted us to one of the best teams in the NFL. 😆

Can't wait to see what kind of gold nuggies the Villan walks away with.

• Haha 1

Bucs Center Ryan Jensen just announced his retirement. Between him and the rumored Jason Kelce retirement lets hope they aren't giving Frank any ideas!  Of course those guys are quite a bit older than Frank but given how beat up Frank always seems to be he may be thinking long and hard about stepping away from the game. 

I did a way too early mock offseason. My numbers and players are likely way off too, but I had fun doing it.

Current Cap Space: $47,678,386

Lions Players Cut/Not Resigned

Hal Vaitai, Jerry Jacobs, John Cominsky, Jonah Jackson, Levi Onwuzurike, Matt Nelson, Michael Badgley,

Romeo Okwara, Shane Zylstra, Tracy Walker

Cap Space After Cuts: $59,549,598

Lions Players Resigned

Benito Jones: 2 years/$2.11 million total

Brock Wright: 3 years/$4.225 million total

Chase Lucas: 2 years/$1.97 million total

CJ Gardner-Johnson: 1 year/$6.5 million

Craig Reynolds: 1 year/$1.08 million

Dan Skipper: 1 year/$1.125 million

Donavan Peoples-Jones: 2 years/$3 million total

Graham Glasgow: 1 year/$1.47 million

Jake McQuaide: 1 year/$1,210,000

Jalen Reeves-Maybin: 1 year/$1.21 million

James Houston: 2 years/$8 million total (only year 1 is guaranteed money, year two is incentives)

Josh Reynolds: 1 year/$1.2 million

Kayode Awosika: 1 year/$875,000

Kindle Vildor: 2 years/$3 million total

Khalil Dorsey: 1 year/$875,000

Nate Sudfeld: 1 year/$1.035 million (Emergency QB)

Tyson Alualu: 1 year/$1 million

Will Harris: 1 year/$1.125 million

Zonovan Knight: 1 year/$850,000

Salary Cap After Re-Signings: $45,981,430

Lions Players Extended

Amon-Ra St. Brown: 4 year/$92 million with $61 million guaranteed (I used Deebo Samuel's contract as a comparison) 

Jared Goff: 4 years/$168 million total with $88 million guaranteed 

Cap Space After Extensions: $15,336,494

Major Free Agents Signed

Danielle Hunter DE: 2 years/$23 million

Stephon Gilmore CB: 1 year/$6.5 million

Robert Hunt OG: 2 years/$4.5 million

NFL Draft

1st: TJ Tampa/CB, 2nd: Jonah Ellis/DE, 3rd: Mike Sainristil/CB, 3rd: Roman Wilson/WR, 4th: Will Putnam/C-G, 5th: Caedan Wallace/OT, 7th: Joshua Karty/K, 7th: Evan Anderson/DT

If the Lions come out of free agency with Hunter and Gillmore I would be pretty happy. No need to waste $1 million on an emergency QB. I'm also not sure I would sign CJGJ. They have depth at that position. $6.5 million would be cheap and tempting. I doubt he signs for that. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I did a way too early mock offseason. My numbers and players are likely way off too, but I had fun doing it.

Hal Vaitai, Jerry Jacobs, John Cominsky, Jonah Jackson, Levi Onwuzurike, Matt Nelson, Michael Badgley,

Lions Players Resigned

James Houston: 2 years/$8 million total (only year 1 is guaranteed money, year two is incentives)

Lions Players Extended

Amon-Ra St. Brown: 4 year/$92 million with $61 million guaranteed (I used Deebo Samuel's contract as a comparison) 

Coming off an all-pro season, I see ASB getting something between the Kupp ($26.7) and Tyreek ($30) deals that were signed last year.  Deebo’s deal is now 2 seasons past and the bar has gone up.    Maybe 4 years/$115m or something in that range.    I also think Goff gets closer to $50m than $42m

Goff is at least 5/200. It will be interesting to see who blinks first, Dallas or Detroit. Goff is slightly younger than Dak, has been more durable throughout his career, and has better postseason success. I would think Goff would command a contract slightly larger than Dak. 

I think the Ragmow retirement talk stems from him talking about always being in pain and overall just how beat up he is.

Then mentioned something along the lines of going to the Pro Bowl to "get away from things"(or something of that nature) gave people the thought that maybe he was doing some soul searching or something that may lead him to the conclusion that he is just tired of always being beat up and maybe it's time to hang things up.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think the Ragmow retirement talk stems from him talking about always being in pain and overall just how beat up he is.

Then mentioned something along the lines of going to the Pro Bowl to "get away from things"(or something of that nature) gave people the thought that maybe he was doing some soul searching or something that may lead him to the conclusion that he is just tired of always being beat up and maybe it's time to hang things up.

NO, he was asked if he was going to need any surgery for any of his injuries, he said he was going to take some time and have them thoroughly evaluated. He said NOTHING about contemplating retirement.

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Lions Players Resigned

Lions Players Extended

Major Free Agents Signed

NFL Draft

1st: TJ Tampa/CB, 2nd: Jonah Ellis/DE, 3rd: Mike Sainristil/CB, 3rd: Roman Wilson/WR, 4th: Will Putnam/C-G, 5th: Caedan Wallace/OT, 7th: Joshua Karty/K, 7th: Evan Anderson/DT

There's no way that you get Goff, Hunter and J. Reynolds for that cheap. Those numbers aren't even close IMO. Even old Gilmore will probably get more than that coming off his best season in a while. I also think Ra will get north of $100m on a 4 year deal.

Edited by NYLion

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2024/02/lions-will-give-all-pro-offensive-lineman-time-space-to-mull-his-future.html?utm_campaign=grandrapidspress_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

But the All-Pro center also says playing through a cavalcade of injuries this past season -- and a now-inoperable toe condition for the past three seasons -- has taken a toll on his body, and he does need time to assess the damage and plot his future.

Not too much new stuff other than the fact that his toe is "inoperable." I wasn't aware of that. I kinda wonder if we did make the SB and win it all if that might not have prompted him to retire on a high note.

10 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Lions Players Resigned

Lions Players Extended

Major Free Agents Signed

NFL Draft

Amon-Ra is likely to get $25m at a minimum, and Goff north of $45m.

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2024/02/lions-will-give-all-pro-offensive-lineman-time-space-to-mull-his-future.html?utm_campaign=grandrapidspress_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Not too much new stuff other than the fact that his toe is "inoperable." I wasn't aware of that. I kinda wonder if we did make the SB and win it all if that might not have prompted him to retire on a high note.

Which tells me the Lions need a plan B.

Whether he says he's playing in too much pain and wants to still be healthy enough to enjoy his family life and retires...

Or he plays 1 more year, or 2 more years (I think he's signed through 2026...):

There needs to be a strong backup plan.

Glasgow's a good sign I think for 2 more years. He can start, or back up, or shift as necessary, to all 3 interior O-Line spots. IMO, he's a must re-sign, I think, for a 2-year contract.

For starters.

In the draft, I would like a top 3 rounds interior player who can play both C and OG. If it's a high-level player: The guy can be an instant starter... at LG.

Jonah Jackson is most likely leaving, so that leaves the door open for a TOP draftee (first few rounds type...) to grab a starter's spot... and if/when Ragnow hangs up his spikes, and don't forget there could be a mid-season serious injury... then it's a guy who can slide over to Center, and Awosika or Sorsdal or similar can take over at LG. It's the reason I want the highest skill level of the draftee to be able to play Center. Options.