Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

No clue if these numbers are close to being correct for St. Brown. I would imagine they are not, but those are solid overall numbers for us, depending on how the cap space is spread out. I had thought St. Brown would get 4 years at $23 million a year, so 3 at $25 million isn't that far off.

If the Lions have another offseason as they did last year and don't come out with any of the marquee free agents, would you be disappointed? Would you be happy if they signed a B-tier free agent that might still be a starter, but isn't exactly going to be your 1A guy at either CB or Edge/DE/pass rusher?

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If the Lions have another offseason as they did last year and don't come out with any of the marquee free agents, would you be disappointed? Would you be happy if they signed a B-tier free agent that might still be a starter, but isn't exactly going to be your 1A guy at either CB or Edge/DE/pass rusher?

I've just resigned myself to the fact that, unless they can get a guy on a 1 year deal, this is the likely outcome. And getting that type of guy on a 1 year deal is highly unlikely.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If they sign a group the caliber of last year, but with better health, I’d be happy; Montgomery, Glasgow, Duce, Sutton, Moseley.

NFL dot com ranks the Lions as having the second-biggest Super Bowl window, right behind KC. https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-eight-biggest-super-bowl-windows-right-now-chiefs-lions-and-ravens-top-list-don-t-sleep-on-jets

Dan Campbell has Detroit poised to take the next step as a title contender after guiding the Lions to the NFC Championship Game in his third season. Despite their epic meltdown on Championship Sunday, the Lions are set to return an experienced and resilient squad with a collection of blue-chip playmakers. 

From QB Jared Goff to WR Amon-Ra St. Brown to TE Sam LaPorta to RB Jahmyr Gibbsto an ultra-physical offensive line led by Frank Ragnow, Penei Sewell and Taylor Decker, the Lions' offense can turn any game into a lopsided affair, blending a fast-break approach with a smash-mouth mentality. With offensive coordinator Ben Johnson staying put to dial up the plays, Detroit's ready to seize control of the NFC as one of the best squads in the entire league.

As defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn continues to build up his unit behind a collection of youngsters occupying key roles, the Lions are poised to join the league's true heavyweights as perennial contenders.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

NFL dot com ranks the Lions as having the second-biggest Super Bowl window, right behind KC. https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-s-eight-biggest-super-bowl-windows-right-now-chiefs-lions-and-ravens-top-list-don-t-sleep-on-jets

ESPN put out their "overhaul" rankings today, which is essentially a future power ranking and they had the Lions number 2 behind Baltimore and in the "Still Super Bowl Contenders" tier. Baltimore, Detroit, KC and SF were the 4 teams in that order in that tier. 

19 hours ago, Longgone said:

If they sign a group the caliber of last year, but with better health, I’d be happy; Montgomery, Glasgow, Duce, Sutton, Moseley.

They only reason we got some of those guys at the price/cap hit we did, (CJGJ, Glasgow, and Mosley) was because of injury history. So if we sign guys this offseason at team-friendly contracts like last year then the probability that player has an injury history increases. 

I have no idea how much it would cost nor if the Lions would even be interested in spending the money on a kicker but if they choose to go that route I'd love to go after Chase McLaughlin. He's a UFA, last year he went 29-31 on Field Goals including 7 of 8 from 50+ so he showed he was reliable from deep. Also didn't miss a PAT all year. Plus he is only 27 so if we sign him to a long term contract we could be set there for the foreseeable future.

If they want to go the short term route they could sign somebody like Nick Folk for a year or 2.  He'll be turning 40 but he showed he's still reliable going 29-30 overall and 11-12 from 40+(5-6 from 50+). 

Whatever the case I think it is pretty imperative they find a kicker that is reliable and Campbell trusts cause I still believe many of his 4th down calls this year were because he just didn't trust our guys to make it from outside say 40 yards. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If Holmes builds the defense this off-season, like he did the offense last season, the Lions will be unstoppable.  Oh, and a kicker. 

I hate to say this, but we still probably need another WR if Reynolds is not returning and the offensive staff/Goff doesn't have enough confidence to target Jamo more than an average of 3.5 times per game. So I don't think we're done building the offense as we likely need a #2 WR.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

44 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I hate to say this, but we still probably need another WR if Reynolds is not returning and the offensive staff/Goff doesn't have enough confidence to target Jamo more than an average of 3.5 times per game. So I don't think we're done building the offense as we likely need a #2 WR.

My money would be on Reynolds coming back. Build the defense!

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBF, being poor at the relational aspects of player management doesn't necessarily mean your talent as a tactical in game manager isn't good. I guess it depends on how narrow/wide the criteria for this ranking is.

I think a good coordinator maximizes the talent he has and McVay didn't do that with Goff in the final two years and made things worse as he became more involved in the offense. 

On 2/16/2024 at 5:27 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

what big time free agent do you want them to sign?