Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

what big time free agent do you want them to sign?

I'd love to get Danielle Hunter as I said a few pages back. He'd be my top target. Kendall Fuller is probably number 2 on my list. I don't think we are going after either player, nor any of the A-tier free agents that would require north of $12-$13 million per at 4+ years to sign. I feel like we'll be waiting until day 2 or day 3 of free agency to make our big moves. I want Stephon Gilmore too, but given his age and the point he's at in his career I don't think he is in that A-tier of current free agents. I do think there is a good chance we get a rental like Gilmore on a 1 year deal.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Chase Young

I'm sure I'll get dumped on for this, but depending on the price and length of contract, I'd still be willing to take a flyer on him. Though I know the Lions will not. He's only 24 and with the right scheme fit and coaching staff in place he could potentially be a rotational pass rusher coming in on obvious passing situations. He doesn't fit their mold as a try hard guy who bleeds football, nor a 3-down guy. Being a situational pass rusher at this point I don't think they would want him for that either as they have James Houston on the roster to cover as needed and could get someone in the draft to do the same.

Build through the draft and supplement through free agency. Within two years the Lions are looking at extensions for Goff, St Brown, Sewell, McNeil, Hutchinson, and potentially Williams if he develops. Then you have Laporta, Branch and possibly Gibbs and Campbell. Also Decker and//or his replacement. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm sure I'll get dumped on for this, but depending on the price and length of contract, I'd still be willing to take a flyer on him. Though I know the Lions will not. He's only 24 and with the right scheme fit and coaching staff in place he could potentially be a rotational pass rusher coming in on obvious passing situations. He doesn't fit their mold as a try hard guy who bleeds football, nor a 3-down guy. Being a situational pass rusher at this point I don't think they would want him for that either as they have James Houston on the roster to cover as needed and could get someone in the draft to do the same.

If the contract is right sure. I suspect he wants to make more than Sweat. No thanks. 

Several of the leagues best teams go out and make splash signings in free agency with long term deals and big cap numbers now and then. Last offseason the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs went out and signed LT Jawaan Taylor on a four-year, $80 million deal. The runner up in the Super Bowl signed DT Javon Hargrave to a four year, $81 million contract. I'm not saying we need to ante up for Brian Burns or Josh Allen. Guy like Danielle Hunter or Kendall Fuller are players I feel should be in our range, but likely won't be.

I think Holmes is going to do just what he did last offseason and be patient and not go after the top free agents on the market. Had CJGJ and Mosely not gotten injured I suspect his plan would have fully paid off, so I'm not mad if that's what Holmes decides to do. So we will be signing guys after the initial rush of free agency is over and likely won't be any of the high dollar, A-tier free agents. So I think we are looking at the likes of Adoree Jackson, Andrew Van Ginkel, Chidobe Awuize, Denico Autry, Dorance Armstrong, Grover Stewart, Maurice Hurst, Steven Nelson, Stephon Gilmore being on our radar instead of the Fullers and Hunters of the league. I could be totally wrong though, so who knows.

danielle hunter and khalil mack (or joey bosa) are probably going to bust the bank.  i'd rather go for someone like aj epanessa.  if you are intent on busting the bank, go for brian burns.

corner is a more pressing need, imo.  theyre wedded to cam sutton and really dont have anything else. 

as others have said, the lions are going to be paying goff $50 million, st brown $25-27 million, hutchinson will be one of the highest paid ends, and sewell will have the biggest contract in oline history.  

that's a lot of mouths to feed.  i dont want to be staring down a contract hit for a 30+ year old declining defensive end that might result in a piece like laporta or gibbs or branch leaving.

I was thinking Mack would be more of a one year option than a multiple year option. I think his 17 sacks means he will get more top of the market. I wouldn't mind waiting out Chase Young. I could see a situation like with CJGJ where he prices himself out of the market and then settles for a one year deal. 

56 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think Young meets the character prerequisites set in place by Holmes and Campbell.

I don't think he does either. He's not enough of a high motor, try hard guy and takes too many plays off for this regime to take a chance on him.

• Like 1

I think a guy like Joey Bosa could work since he only has 2 years left on his contract and the next couple years we should have the space to afford that. I just question what it would take to get him, if it's just a mid round pick or 2 then I'd go for it but I'm a little apprehensive about giving up a 1st for him.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Now the question at Safety is about whether or not CJGJ comes back.

I'd take him back if its at the same cap number as last year or lower and no longer then 1 year, otherwise let him walk.  His mouth gets him in trouble but he does add some emotion to the defense and plays with a chip on shoulder.

I'd also resign Moseley to a prove 1 year deal and bring in a rookie CB in the first 3 rounds to fight it out in camp at CB3  Sign someone like Gilmore to fill in the other side opposite of Sutton.

I'd rather look at vets on 1-2 year deals but If I were to break the bank for anyone is needs to be a younger player at either CB, DE, or pass rushing DT that also deosnt include a franchise tag. ( Allen, Burns, Johnson, Sneed come to mind but all could get franchised)

One of Chris Jones or L'Jarius Sneed is going to get squeezed out in the Chiefs salary vice.

Jones might be the more impactful but I think Sneed is a better fit for the Lions and won't cost as much.

IMO.

(I'm on Sneed's bandwagon. Sounds creepy, I know...)

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Ben Johnson is good, but he's no Joe Lombardi though . . .

Mcvay goes down IMO because of his conservative playoff game play calling. 3 times in the red zone he kicked a FG. Even one TD would have won the game for him and with Stafford at QB, he should have gone for at least 2 of them.

9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think a good coordinator maximizes the talent he has and McVay didn't do that with Goff in the final two years and made things worse as he became more involved in the offense. 

The other question is how much credit is Andy Reid getting as a play caller for Mahomes freelancing failed plays into 1st downs?   You could say Johnson has a much tougher task because his calls have to work as called to a higher degree than Andy Reid's do!

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Dre Bly out after only one year. 

He should have coached Vildor to catch the ball with his hands and not his face mask. 

But seriously, this is a pretty extensive rebuilding of the defensive staff. 

• Like 1