Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

There would be no logical reason even for Mayhew to not franchise him before getting a long term contract. 

Suh was right up there with Juan Gonazales in terms of players you knew 10 seconds after they got here that they weren't staying. I don't know what people were smoking back in '15 with all the talk that he would resign with the Lions.

I do always get a kick out of people that draft for need when making mocks then when a team does actually draft for need and passes on a player they have higher on their board they ridicule them for it. 

Case and point was Jack Campbell last year, not saying that Holmes drafted him due to need but he certainly did fill one and I seen more than one mock leading up to the draft that had us taking an inside linebacker there due to need. Then when the Lions due indeed take one they get blasted for it. 

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

This approach was pretty easy to see watching him patch holes in via FA before the draft last yr.

Probably why they were so patient with, and publicly supportive of, Cam Sutton. They knew what they were getting. They knew his strengths and weaknesses, and they knew they might have to put him in some difficult positions and let him do the best he could. 

Holmes doesn't give an F about anybody's mock draft, Holmes doesn't give an F about drafting for need or positional importance. He's in the market for good football players who fit their culture regardless of position. Of course there's a limit to that (I don't see him drafting the best QB available in the 1st round for instance) but, generally, do NOT expect him to ride with the consensus.

Also, I would not expect any big long term commitments in free agency regardless of cap space. We could see a mid level guy like Sutton type of deal again but for those expecting Chris Jones, or Danielle Hunter or even a guy like Sneed from KC, I don't see it.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Realized I still had the Rams playoff game on my DVR and watched it again. Good times. 

There's a YouTube video that replays the final four minutes only. It was eerie how quiet Ford Field was (or sounded on the broadcast) as the Lions took possession. Tension, and allowing the offense to hear Goff. And at the 2 minute warning the game was still on a knife's edge. And then, pow, that one quick pass for a 1st down coming out of the 2 minute warning and just like that it was over. I had been psyching myself up for several more minutes of nervousness.

• Like 2

I thought the mini-movie was good. They only showed the highs though. Completely skipped the Cowboys game and ended in the locker room of the Bucs game. Which.... fine, okay.... but not including them in a season mini-movie doesn't mean they didn't happen.

I think the Cowboys game was a defining game for the regime. It said that we are still the Detroit Lions and the NFL is still going to **** us when they get the chance. We have to be that much better, that much stronger, and that much more resilient than any other team if we are going to reach the kinds of levels we aspire to reach.

And I think the 49ers game will be a defining game for the 2024-2025 season. The bar has been set and it's been set incredibly high. What are you going to do to reach it? What are you going to do to surpass it? What are you going to do to win it all?

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'll throw it out there. Do the Lions go after Jones? McNeil and Jones would be an amazing duo up the middle with Hutchinson on the edge. 

i would not bust the bank for a 30 year old defensive tackle.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'll throw it out there. Do the Lions go after Jones? McNeil and Jones would be an amazing duo up the middle with Hutchinson on the edge. 

No chance IMO. Can't see Holmes giving max money to an aging player at any position. Jones is amazing no doubt but he's going to be 30 when the season starts, don't see Holmes being in the market for him. That would be a true "all in" move.