Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

I just don't get bringing back Badgley and doing so this early on in the offseason. Are they not going to go out now and scout and look at other options? I guess this means drafting a Will Reichard late in the draft is off the table now. It's disappointing that they signed him so soon and are now presumably not going to go out and look at other, serious options for a starting kicker.

35 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think it just means Goff, St Brown, Sewell and Jackson just got more expensive. 

That's exactly why I wanted them to sign Goff to an extension sooner. I don't think the rising cap will make a massive difference (he would have gotten $45m+ even if signed earlier) but every dollar counts and now Goff will be $50m+.

• Like 1

I'm letting Jonah Jackson walk if he's asking for more than this organization thinks he's worth. I know Holmes has stated he wants to keep his own guys around (technically Jackson was a Quinn pick) but I think you can find serviceable starting guards, at a decent contract, in free agency or in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft. If increasing the cap makes Jonah Jackson more expensive than someone else can have him.

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

That's exactly why I wanted them to sign Goff to an extension sooner. I don't think the rising cap will make a massive difference (he would have gotten $45m+ even if signed earlier) but every dollar counts and now Goff will be $50m+.

I wonder if Goff knew this was coming as well and that's why he hasn't signed yet. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Xavien Howard had a PPF grade last season of only 55 and that was with him playing opposite Jalen Ramsey. He had 1 INT and only 42 tackles in 13 games played. He hasn't had more than 1 INT in a season since 2021. He's 30 years old currently. He might be a guy I'd take a flyer on though as a depth piece if he wasn't looking for big time, starting CB1 money. I am not giving him CB 1 money though.

nfl free agency is usually nothing but fool's gold.  good players at premium positions dont usually become free agents.  

older guys do.  guys at less premium positions do.  guys with big time flaws or injury risks do.

teams find a way to keep the good players.  lions will build through the draft and find some good depth/rotation guys in free agency.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

nfl free agency is usually nothing but fool's gold.  good players at premium positions dont usually become free agents.  

older guys do.  guys at less premium positions do.  guys with big time flaws or injury risks do.

teams find a way to keep the good players.  lions will build through the draft and find some good depth/rotation guys in free agency.

Good teams build through the draft.

Desperate teams build through free agency.

Great teams add marquee players in free agency often. The defending Super Bowl champs just spent big money in free agency last year on their offensive line adding Jawaan Taylor at RT. The runner up in the Super Bowl spent big money in free agency on their defensive line adding Javon Hargrave at DT. No reason, other than it isn't likely Holmes' plan, that we can't be in on one marquee free agent like a Danielle Hunter, Jaylon Johnson,  L'Jarius Sneed, etc. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Great teams add marquee players in free agency often. The defending Super Bowl champs just spent big money in free agency last year on their offensive line adding Jawaan Taylor at RT. The runner up in the Super Bowl spent big money in free agency on their defensive line adding Javon Hargrave at DT. No reason, other than it isn't likely Holmes' plan, that we can't be in on one marquee free agent like a Danielle Hunter, Jaylon Johnson,  L'Jarius Sneed, etc. 

how many of those guys do you think will actually make it to free agency?

the "defending super bowl champs" are "defending super bowl champs" because they have the best qb in football.

they also had to trade the best receiver in football to make room to sign said "marquee" free agents and now will likely lose either chris jones or l'darius sneed (probably jones because he's on the wrong side of 30) because they did so.

look, i'm vary wary about nfl free agency.  theyre all overpriced (see sutton, cam) and theyre all available for a reason.  teams dont usually allow good players to leave unless theyre old.

the lions could win the press conference by signing danielle hunter.  it might cost them later. to your point, if he is the final piece to a super bowl team, then you have to consider it.  

i have my doubts.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

teams dont usually allow good players to leave unless theyre old.

Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand let Suh walk without getting nothing for him because they were arrogant about the fact they'd resign him. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

19 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

They let him walk because they mismanaged the cap and couldn’t franchise him. 

It was both.  They thought they could re-sign him when even Suh's sister said he couldn't wait to get out.    And the bastard wants to come back now that we're good.  Screw him.   Go punch a baby or something.   Great player who cost us plenty of games with stupid penalties. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It was both.  They thought they could re-sign him when even Suh's sister said he couldn't wait to get out.    And the bastard wants to come back now that we're good.  Screw him.   Go punch a baby or something.   Great player who cost us plenty of games with stupid penalties. 

They restructured his contract and the franchise tag would have been over $30 million. They couldn't afford it. There would be no logical reason even for Mayhew to not franchise him before getting a long term contract.