The Tigers are nearing agreement with Eduardo Rodríguez

RatkoVarda

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Are we done with starting pitching now or do you think we're still in the market for one more? Personally I would feel better if we signed atleast 1 more, preferably somebody with some upside but at the very least I think we need a back of the rotation guy. 

Right now we have Mize, Skubal, Manning, Rodriguez and presumably Alexander in the rotation but not much depth in the minors to come help us if/when any of the guys get injured or struggle. There's potentially Wentz but that's about it, atleast that I can think of off the top of my head. I suppose there is the option of converting Fulmer back to a starter but that's not a sure thing.  

We have 3 or 4 guys that'll be ready in a year or 2. But yes, get more. Someone once said you can never have too much pitching.

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But Gracia, Brieske, Olsen and Wentz are guys you could call up on during the season when you need them, maybe not guys you expect to be in the rotation.    I mean, to me, they have to sign another veteran arm, the one year "prove your worth" type of deal.    If we think we are going to avoid some sort of long term injury with all 3 of the young guns, we're being a bit naive.  TJ surgeries are starting to become more of the norm these days.   I wonder if anyone is doing a comprehensive study to find out why there are more pitching injuries with pitchers throwing fewer innings than in the past.  A lot of speculation why, but has there been any study?   Dr. James Andrews has become more well-known than most of the players in the league

It really is amazing looking at pitchers stats from the 60's and before. 300 innings? No problem.....

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/pitching/piinnp4.shtml

Edited by Sports_Freak

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Who are those three or four guys?  Jobe and who else?  

I knew that question would pop up. Faedo (sp). And that guy we just added to the 40 man roster, Olson. Turnbull will be back, along with Boyd. And Wentz. Also, a couple of guys named Rodriguez I noticed on our 40 man roster. So yeah,  a few will never make it and a few may get hurt. Or not.

40 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I knew that question would pop up. Faedo (sp). And that guy we just added to the 40 man roster, Olson. Turnbull will be back, along with Boyd. And Wentz. Also, a couple of guys named Rodriguez I noticed on our 40 man roster. So yeah,  a few will never make it and a few may get hurt. Or not.

I'll put them in the kreidler category.  Keep an eye on them, but don't count on them.  

44 minutes ago, casimir said:

No to Peralta. Let someone else pay him for his career season.

That's why I said or similar. I'm not married to the idea of Peralta.

Alternatively... we could sign someone who is effective at both reliever and spot starting, like Alexander...

Collin McHugh.

Steal him from the Rays...

Edited by 1984Echoes

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I'll put them in the kreidler category.  Keep an eye on them, but don't count on them.  

Which is fine.

But I'm thinking out of Faedo, Olson, Wentz: one of them will be capable of taking on some 5th or 6th starts... and be effective.

I'd still want a veteran 5th/ 6th starter signed for the competition. And that's not even counting Alexander.

I think Brieske or Elvin Rodriguez have to show something in AAA before we think that they could handle some emergency starts or middle relief or whatever... probably not till 2023 at the earliest (just guessing).

PS: On Jobe: I don't think we even start considering him or Madden for at least a couple years... Unless he does turn out to be a fast riser...

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Turnbull will be given every opportunity when he regains his health. So will Boyd, if he's still around. If the Tigers sign a SS, I don't think Kreidler will ever be given a shot, at shortstop.

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which is fine.

But I'm thinking out of Faedo, Olson, Wentz: one of them will be capable of taking on some 5th or 6th starts... and be effective.

I'd still want a veteran 5th/ 6th starter signed for the competition. And that's not even counting Alexander.

I think Brieske or Elvin Rodriguez have to show something in AAA before we think that they could handle some emergency starts or middle relief or whatever... probably not till 2023 at the earliest (just guessing).

PS: On Jobe: I don't think we even start considering him or Madden for at least a couple years... Unless he does turn out to be a fast riser...

Agreed. And I hear a rumor about service time no longer counting. A players age may determines when he's a FA. If so, we may see more young talent at the ML level.

7 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Turnbull will be given every opportunity when he regains his health. So will Boyd, if he's still around. If the Tigers sign a SS, I don't think Kreidler will ever be given a shot, at shortstop.

yeah - unless Turnbull is one of the unlucky ones with a less than successful TJ he is a lock to be back in the rotation. But I think the possibility of Boyd being back are shrinking.

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Turnbull will be given every opportunity when he regains his health.

So will Boyd, if he's still around. 

Non-tender... he'll be off the 40-man roster. I think. So... we'll see. Will he sign an incentive laden minor league contract to rehab with the Tigers?

Dunno.

... If the Tigers sign a SS, I don't think Kreidler will ever be given a shot, at shortstop.

He'll be given a shot as a backup/ utility guy. IMO.

7 hours ago, casimir said:

OK, sailors, what's next?

Javier Báez 6/130....not who we want but not drunken either ..20-20-22-22-23-23 with opt out after 2. He fits Al's budget, improves the defense, has power, prime years within contract and stays on the field. 

Barnhart -6 ( after new 3 year deal ) Erod 14, Baez 20 = 40mil which leaves al $ for 5mil starter and bullpen or outfielder.

12 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

It really is amazing looking at pitchers stats from the 60's and before. 300 innings? No problem.....

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/pitching/piinnp4.shtml

Mickey Lolich in 1971 - 376 innings, 45 starts, 29 complete games and he was a strikeout guy too.   That's insane. 

Followed that year up with 327, 308, 308.   Even at 35, after those 300+ years, he pitched 192 innings and had an ERA of 3.22

Then in 1976 Mark Fidrych had 24 complete games, 3 of them going 11 innings and they broke him.  

• Like 1