The Tigers are nearing agreement with Eduardo Rodríguez

RatkoVarda

50 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I haven't been following baseball much lately so I was wondering what all the dislike was for Baez. 

because all you have to do is throw him a curveball in the dirt or a fastball over his head and he'll swing at it.

he's in his prime and be strikes out like a 50 year old.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

We don’t want Baez says who? I’d be thrilled to have Baez on this team. I would agree he’s not among my top three choices, but “we don’t want him” is a bit much, isn’t it?

"not who we want " in deference to Correa, Seager or Story but of course he would help us tremendously as noted in the post..power. defense and plays every day.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

because all you have to do is throw him a curveball in the dirt or a fastball over his head and he'll swing at it.

he's in his prime and be strikes out like a 50 year old.

Story and Taylor strike out just as much, Seager isn't much on defense and Semien is old, so i guess you'd only be happy with Correa.

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don't think it will necessarily take 6/130 to bring him on board. I think he could probably be had for five or even four years, and for 20 a year, maybe even a scosh less. I could see him signing for 4/76, particularly if he's the one without a chair after the music stops.

That's kind of the only scenario that I would see it (or maybe "hope" is the better phrase) happening.  I just don't like his skill set in comparison to the other SS options.  I think once his power goes, his bat is awful, and his value then relies solely on his defense.  His defense is very good, but for how long?

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

The overwhelming negative has little to do with Javy's overall value, and much to do with the perception of his personality, and maybe a little of the swing and miss, which yes, is a problem and probably always will be. But he's still been a consistently 4-5 win player over the last three full seasons. He's a plus defender with the best tag tool you'll ever see, a great baserunner who can snatch safe from the jaws of out, a 140-game-a-year workhorse, and has 30-homer pop from the second most-important position on the field. Come on, who doesn't want that?

Maybe Javy won't age well into his mid 30s, but that wouldn't have to be our problem since even with a five-year deal, he's gone after age 33. In the meantime he'd put up 15 or more WAR, practically guaranteed.

I'd prefer Trevor Story on a slightly richer deal, but absent that I'd take Javy and be glad to do so.

I find Baez' persona better than Correa.  Baez at least addressed and apologized for his thumbs down deal in New York.  Correa took the heel route with the response to the trash cans.

I was kind of against Story from the beginning, but I've come around and think that he might actually be the best option when everything (performance, durability, potential price tag) gets considered.

41 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Story and Taylor strike out just as much, Seager isn't much on defense and Semien is old, so i guess you'd only be happy with Correa.

I think if you look at the year-by-year SO%s, you'll find Story & Baez headed in different directions.  Both are above league average, but Story has certainly improved since his rookie season.

image.png.af78efce0474851443c5ce703de25235.png   image.png.9c6e2f62418b6f51b056eb0af89d4b53.png

13 minutes ago, casimir said:

his bat is awful, 

He actually has exceptional bat speed and bat to ball skills. The problem is, with those skills, he's always been able to hit everything. He still can, but not so consistently in the bigs. If he only had a little discipline, he be a true superstar.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

You, me and a couple others seem to be the only ones that would be fine with him.  I remember suggesting him towards the tail end of the old board and you'd think I suggested Neifi Perez or something by some of the responses it got.

Not only on here but I saw on one of the Tigers pundits accounts(Beck maybe?) bringing up Baez as a possibility and it was overwhelming negative with people against it.  

Agreed. I would think Javy would be a fine addition - all things considered (price, age, power, D, running ability, so far durability, etc.). He is a talented player and just might 'become' more open to some changes in his approach as his career moves along. Of course any of the 5-6 top SS will help quite a bit. Just saying all things considered, Javy, IMHO, might workout well also.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

That's kind of the only scenario that I would see it (or maybe "hope" is the better phrase) happening.  I just don't like his skill set in comparison to the other SS options.  I think once his power goes, his bat is awful, and his value then relies solely on his defense.  His defense is very good, but for how long?

Defense tends to peak earlier than offense.  

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I find Baez' persona better than Correa.  Baez at least addressed and apologized for his thumbs down deal in New York.  Correa took the heel route with the response to the trash cans.

I was kind of against Story from the beginning, but I've come around and think that he might actually be the best option when everything (performance, durability, potential price tag) gets considered.

Story is my #1 guy for the reasons you state. I think he could be had for five years and maybe 125, certainly with at least one opt-out and triggered options for a sixth and seventh year.

The conventional wisdom (at least locally) is that Story is gonna be the prodigal son who returns home to DFW.

I'll believe it when I see it though.... they have a lot of prospects in the pipeline, but the Rangers still don't seem like the most attractive destination spot, at least with the roster as currently built.

10 hours ago, Longgone said:

He actually has exceptional bat speed and bat to ball skills. The problem is, with those skills, he's always been able to hit everything. He still can, but not so consistently in the bigs. If he only had a little discipline, he be a true superstar.

Fair enough.  Change it to bad approach or bad eye.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 9:06 AM, gehringer_2 said:

I wonder what soured Rodriguez on Boston? Or vice versa?  In the interview quotes in the Freep he said he didn't even talk to Boston and "it was time to move on." 

Good question, probably something more than the infield defense but I don't think that helped either

• 5 months later...

javy is the same player he's always been.  the worry now is that he'll get angry and bored and his fielding will start to fall off as his hitting has done.

he should get hot at some point and start blasting mistakes into orbit, but he's easy to pitch to because he swings at everything.  always has, likely always will.