The Tigers are nearing agreement with Eduardo Rodríguez

RatkoVarda

12 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Turnbull will be given every opportunity when he regains his health. So will Boyd, if he's still around. If the Tigers sign a SS, I don't think Kreidler will ever be given a shot, at shortstop.

yeah, I was being flip with the mention of Kreidler.  Boyd and Turnbull are not the same as him, but I am in the mindset of winning now.   

You really can't have too much pitching, but I don't expect them to sign another big pitcher.  I believe they'll get someone to compete with Alexander for the fifth spot.  

Edited by Tiger337

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah - unless Turnbull is one of the unlucky ones with a less than successful TJ he is a lock to be back in the rotation. But I think the possibility of Boyd being back are shrinking.

The problem with Turnbull is that he has more than TJ surgery in his injury history.  He's looking like someone that isn't going to be very durable.  

18 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Jon Heyman had a tweet earlier saying that the Jays were in hot pursuit of ERod's services but that he "opted for Detroit instead"...

That was a nice change of pace lol

Detroit is a team that’s going places. Being a part of that is exciting. As for the “Detroit tax” I can’t see why “where“ makes a difference for a player.

They are in their team’s city only half the time. They have to work late. They have few days off, and sex workers are top-shelf everywhere if you have the money. 

13 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which is fine.

But I'm thinking out of Faedo, Olson, Wentz: one of them will be capable of taking on some 5th or 6th starts... and be effective.

I have no faith that any of them will be effective this year.  I think they'll add a Peralta type to compete for a spot.   

41 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Detroit is a team that’s going places. Being a part of that is exciting. As for the “Detroit tax” I can’t see why “where“ makes a difference for a player.

They are in their team’s city only half the time. They have to work late. They have few days off, and sex workers are top-shelf everywhere if you have the money. 

I don’t agree that there is a tax.  In most cases, the player and his agent are going to take the best deal.  I don’t think we were penalized when we signing/extending players during our 2006-2015 heyday.  We gave out some excessive, borderline stupid contracts, but I attribute that to Boras’ Svengali hold that he had on Mike I.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I believe they'll get someone to compete with Alexander for the fifth spot.  

Certainly agree with this. You aren't going to pay someone big bucks to end up your BP swing man and he wouldn't be happy about it either! The 6th and/or 7th guy up has to be either be someone you can reasonably leave at AAA or the Bullpen.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Mickey Lolich in 1971 - 376 innings, 45 starts, 29 complete games and he was a strikeout guy too.   That's insane. 

Followed that year up with 327, 308, 308.   Even at 35, after those 300+ years, he pitched 192 innings and had an ERA of 3.22

Then in 1976 Mark Fidrych had 24 complete games, 3 of them going 11 innings and they broke him.  

I would argue that the expansion of the bullpen is, by far, the biggest change in baseball. Maybe the biggest change in any sport.

19 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Javier Báez 6/130....not who we want but not drunken either ..20-20-22-22-23-23 with opt out after 2. He fits Al's budget, improves the defense, has power, prime years within contract and stays on the field. 

Barnhart -6 ( after new 3 year deal ) Erod 14, Baez 20 = 40mil which leaves al $ for 5mil starter and bullpen or outfielder.

We don’t want Baez says who? I’d be thrilled to have Baez on this team. I would agree he’s not among my top three choices, but “we don’t want him” is a bit much, isn’t it?

5 hours ago, buddha said:

i had a friend that worked at his donut place and said lolich was a complete jerk.

I’ve met Lolich several times. He’s a good story teller and a good guy to have a beer with. That said, he’s also used to being the center of attention and getting his way, so i could see why someone who has to work for him might butt heads with him.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We don’t want Baez says who? I’d be thrilled to have Baez on this team. I would agree he’s not among my top three choices, but “we don’t want him” is a bit much, isn’t it?

It depends upon the contract and what other moves the Tigers make.

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You, me and a couple others seem to be the only ones that would be fine with him.  I remember suggesting him towards the tail end of the old board and you'd think I suggested Neifi Perez or something by some of the responses it got.

Not only on here but I saw on one of the Tigers pundits accounts(Beck maybe?) bringing up Baez as a possibility and it was overwhelming negative with people against it.  

33 minutes ago, casimir said:

It depends upon the contract and what other moves the Tigers make.

I don't think it will necessarily take 6/130 to bring him on board. I think he could probably be had for five or even four years, and for 20 a year, maybe even a scosh less. I could see him signing for 4/76, particularly if he's the one without a chair after the music stops.

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

You, me and a couple others seem to be the only ones that would be fine with him.  I remember suggesting him towards the tail end of the old board and you'd think I suggested Neifi Perez or something by some of the responses it got.

Not only on here but I saw on one of the Tigers pundits accounts(Beck maybe?) bringing up Baez as a possibility and it was overwhelming negative with people against it.  

The overwhelming negative has little to do with Javy's overall value, and much to do with the perception of his personality, and maybe a little of the swing and miss, which yes, is a problem and probably always will be. But he's still been a consistently 4-5 win player over the last three full seasons. He's a plus defender with the best tag tool you'll ever see, a great baserunner who can snatch safe from the jaws of out, a 140-game-a-year workhorse, and has 30-homer pop from the second most-important position on the field. Come on, who doesn't want that?

Maybe Javy won't age well into his mid 30s, but that wouldn't have to be our problem since even with a five-year deal, he's gone after age 33. In the meantime he'd put up 15 or more WAR, practically guaranteed.

I'd prefer Trevor Story on a slightly richer deal, but absent that I'd take Javy and be glad to do so.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The overwhelming negative has little to do with Javy's overall value, and much to do with the perception of his personality, and maybe a little of the swing and miss, which yes, is a problem and probably always will be. But he's still been a consistently 4-5 win player over the last three full seasons. He's a plus defender with the best tag tool you'll ever see, a great baserunner who can snatch safe from the jaws of out, a 140-game-a-year workhorse, and has 30-homer pop from the second most-important position on the field. Come on, who doesn't want that?

Maybe Javy won't age well into his mid 30s, but that wouldn't have to be our problem since even with a five-year deal, he's gone after age 33. In the meantime he'd put up 15 or more WAR, practically guaranteed.

I'd prefer Trevor Story on a slightly richer deal, but absent that I'd take Javy and be glad to do so.

Ok, you convinced me, still not my preferred guy but I won't complain if it happens

I would be very very happy to get him, a great defender with power and speed, and durable - he is going to be in the lineup.  It's true that he doesn't get on base, although he did in his brief stint with the Mets.  I like the speculation that he could be had for 4 or 5 years, not 8 or 10 like Correa.  I

I think that I actually like the bottom 2 guys better than the top 3.