The Tigers are nearing agreement with Eduardo Rodríguez

RatkoVarda

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Issue with Zimm was that even at the time the handwriting was on the wall about his  FB. Haven't taken a look yet at any of Rodriguez's trends!

FWIW, this FF has been ticking down pretty steadily, but that side, he relies less on that pitch and more on his cutter, sinker and change.

image.thumb.png.db8ba5a44d265b4693a6d621ec45e0ec.png

20 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

14 and 14 for the first 2 years? sounds good to me

To Lee's point, it makes it more likely he opts out on decent performance and becomes somebody else's problem for his thirties. I like that, in general, although one downside is that if he rocks the mound the next two seasons and we go into 2024 as a favorite, we may need to overpay him with too many years to keep him around for that.

$14 million is right about where he was projected, so there was no "Detroit?  You gotta pay me more to pitch in that awful city" tax.   (its an unfair but accurate outsiders assessment of our fair city, which is not all that much better or worse off than any other city it's size).     

That BABIP number gets a lot better if they do find a Shortstop that's a run-saver and according to Fielding Bible, Carlos Correa tops that list with 20 runs saved in 2021.    The others at SS: Andrelton Simmons at 15 Trevor Story at 9, Javier Baez at 3, Marcus Semien at 1 (but only as a shortstop), Corey Seager and Chris Taylor are at 0

The Tigers crew - not great, Bob.    Niko Goodrum was -6 (about -11 in a full season),  Zack Short was -1, Isaac Paredes was -1 in only 39 innings,  Harold Castro -6 in only 291 innings, Willi Castro was -2.   

Just for sh*ts and giggles, the worst in all of baseball, we're talking ALL OF BASEBALL (minors and all) was Jose Iglesias at -22 and the next closest in baseball was Josh Rojas with -13 in only 283 innings, which would probably put him in the -30s in a full season, if not higher.     Even Tanner Boyle of the 197B San Fernando Valley all-12 year-old league Bears was better than that.  

Another reason to embrace signing Correa if they can afford him, but the much-maligned at Motown Forums Javy Baez was the #1 ranked SS in Runs Saved in 2019 with an incredible number of 31 runs saved and #3 ranked in 2020 with 6 runs saved (equal to about 16 in a full season). .    So he's still a significant upgrade over anything the Tigers have.  

6 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Nice work by Al Avila, again.  I'm looking forward to seeing Rodriguez out there, it seems like he is durable and makes all his starts, although does not go deep into them.

I think they took it easy on him this year, coming off the heart issue and a year where he couldn't pitch or even work out.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Here are who I believe to be the starting rotation candidates:

1) Mize

2) Skubal

3) Rodriguez

4) Alexander

5) Manning

6) Wentz

7) Fulmer

8 ) TBD Free Agent Signing

9) Boyd (later in the season if they re-sign him, which looks in jeopardy)

Rony Garcia could be in the discussion, though I doubt they count on him.  Brieske and Olsen are unlikely to start the season--they both have little AA experience.

But Gracia, Brieske, Olsen and Wentz are guys you could call up on during the season when you need them, maybe not guys you expect to be in the rotation.    I mean, to me, they have to sign another veteran arm, the one year "prove your worth" type of deal.    If we think we are going to avoid some sort of long term injury with all 3 of the young guns, we're being a bit naive.  TJ surgeries are starting to become more of the norm these days.   I wonder if anyone is doing a comprehensive study to find out why there are more pitching injuries with pitchers throwing fewer innings than in the past.  A lot of speculation why, but has there been any study?   Dr. James Andrews has become more well-known than most of the players in the league

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But Gracia, Brieske, Olsen and Wentz are guys you could call up on during the season when you need them, maybe not guys you expect to be in the rotation.    I mean, to me, they have to sign another veteran arm, the one year "prove your worth" type of deal.    If we think we are going to avoid some sort of long term injury with all 3 of the young guns, we're being a bit naive.  TJ surgeries are starting to become more of the norm these days.   I wonder if anyone is doing a comprehensive study to find out why there are more pitching injuries with pitchers throwing fewer innings than in the past.  A lot of speculation why, but has there been any study?   Dr. James Andrews has become more well-known than most of the players in the league

No argument from me.  I don’t see how they avoid signing another reliable veteran for the rotation.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

$14 million is right about where he was projected, so there was no "Detroit?  You gotta pay me more to pitch in that awful city" tax.   (its an unfair but accurate outsiders assessment of our fair city, which is not all that much better or worse off than any other city it's size).     

Jon Heyman had a tweet earlier saying that the Jays were in hot pursuit of ERod's services but that he "opted for Detroit instead"...

That was a nice change of pace lol

55 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

No argument from me.  I don’t see how they avoid signing another reliable veteran for the rotation.

Id 3rd, 4th or whatever that feeling. In an ideal world they'd maybe pick someone up from that 2nd/3rd tier of free agents that lingers on the market and some wily peralta eque reclamation project. Regardless, I think they need 2 more starting arms and i more expect they'll get just get 2 reclamation projects to fill the need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I wonder if anyone is doing a comprehensive study to find out why there are more pitching injuries with pitchers throwing fewer innings than in the past.  A lot of speculation why, but has there been any study?   Dr. James Andrews has become more well-known than most of the players in the league

Honestly, I don't think they want to know, because once they know, they will have to do something, and it will be something they don't want or don't know how to do. ( e.g prevent guys from throwing so many breaking balls)

Edited by gehringer_2